Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Washington is definitely still in win now mode...but Burakovsky is getting buried on depth chart in Washington and only playing 10 minutes a game.  Getting rid of Burakovsky for the rest of this season allows them to make a trade for someone else and Nylander gives them young prospect for future.

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sign me up. At the very least, he's a Sheary-level player, and we need more of those. 

We could definitely use more competent NHL players. Plus Burakovsky is still pretty young so if he clicks with us he could be with us for more than just his contract years.

Trades

BUF- Burakovsky, André.       WSH-  Nylander, Alexander

BUF- Ceci, Cody and Pageau, Jean-Gabriel.      OTT-  Beaulieu, Nathan, Rodrigues, Evan, 2019 1st round pick (SJS)

BUF-  2019 6th round pick (NSH)    NSH- Pominville, Jason

Left Wing Centre Right Wing
BUF
Skinner, Jeff
$5,725,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
BUF
Eichel, Jack
$10,000,000
C
UFA - 8
BUF
Reinhart, Sam
$3,650,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
WSH
Burakovsky, André
$3,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
OTT
Pageau, Jean-Gabriel
$3,100,000
C
UFA - 2
BUF
Sheary, Conor
$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
BUF
Sobotka, Vladimír
$3,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
BUF
Mittelstadt, Casey
$925,000
C
RFA - 2
BUF
Thompson, Tage
$925,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
BUF
Girgensons, Zemgus
$1,600,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
BUF
Larsson, Johan
$1,475,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
BUF
Okposo, Kyle
$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
BUF
Elie, Remi
$735,000
LW
RFA - 1

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
BUF
McCabe, Jake
$1,600,000
D
RFA - 1
BUF
Ristolainen, Rasmus
$5,400,000
D
UFA - 4
BUF
Hutton, Carter
$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
BUF
Dahlin, Rasmus
$925,000
D
RFA - 3
BUF
Bogosian, Zach
$5,142,857
D
UFA - 2
BUF
Ullmark, Linus
$750,000
G
RFA - 1
BUF
Scandella, Marco
$4,000,000
D
UFA - 2
OTT
Ceci, Cody
$4,300,000
D
RFA - 1

BUF
Pilut, Lawrence
$925,000
D
RFA - 2
BUF
Nelson, Casey
$812,500
D
UFA - 2

BUF
Hunwick, Matt
$2,250,000

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Internet rumour of dubious authenticity I'm posting because it interests me:

Nylander, Guhle, SJ 1st for Toffoli and Kempe

Kempe is an RFA this summer, Toffoli is an UFA next summer

I don't think the value is there. I have zero interest in Kempe and Toffoli hasn't exactly set the world on fire the last two years. 

I like Toffoli, just not a big fan of that deal in particular. We're 1 piece too heavy, I think. 

45 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Trades

BUF- Burakovsky, André.       WSH-  Nylander, Alexander

BUF- Ceci, Cody and Pageau, Jean-Gabriel.      OTT-  Beaulieu, Nathan, Rodrigues, Evan, 2019 1st round pick (SJS)

BUF-  2019 6th round pick (NSH)    NSH- Pominville, Jason

Sign me up for the Washington deal, it that Ottawa deal is rough. Heavy on cap for no notable increase in roster quality. 

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Toffoli is a name we were all hot about ~3 years ago, but I don't know how well his prospect status has aged.

That said, I wouldn't be too upset if that actually occurred. Kempe is still only 22 but isn't producing much in the NHL (13pts in 49 gp)

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sign me up for the Washington deal, it that Ottawa deal is rough. Heavy on cap for no notable increase in roster quality. 

Cici and Beaulieu is an exchange of RFA's.  LD for RD.  Helps us with our depth.  Trading ERod and pick gives us a true 2nd line center for the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I am fine with this trade but I would add Okposo for Dustin Brown.

Salaries are the same but we get rid of cap hit one year earlier on Brown's contract.

If I am going to pay 6mil to a third or fourth line winger I would rather have Brown filling that role than Okposo.

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Cici and Beaulieu is an exchange of RFA's.  LD for RD.  Helps us with our depth.  Trading ERod and pick gives us a true 2nd line center for the next couple of years.

Pageau is not a true 2nd line center. At all. And Ceci costs almost twice as much as Beaulieu, so if we want to retain him even as an RFA, we'll be on the hook for more money. 

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Pageau is not a true 2nd line center. At all. And Ceci costs almost twice as much as Beaulieu, so if we want to retain him even as an RFA, we'll be on the hook for more money. 

Pageau was #2 behind Duchene last year.  Can get you 15-20 goals and has taken over 1,000 face-offs the last two years.  He missed beginning of this year with injury but could definitely be #2 on Sabres.  

Plays physical and over 50% on face-offs.  

He is exactly the type of player Buffalo needs for the rest of this year and next year. 

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

Pageau was #2 behind Duchene last year.  Can get you 15-20 goals and has taken over 1,000 face-offs the last two years.  He missed beginning of this year with injury but could definitely be #2 on Sabres.  

Plays physical and over 50% on face-offs.  

He is exactly the type of player Buffalo needs for the rest of this year and next year. 

He had 29 points last year on one of the worst teams in the league. He's a negative possession player. No thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Trade ideas leading up to deadline-

Nylander to Washington for Burakovsky...

Burakovsky gets a chance to play top six minutes,  2nd line LW,  RFA that Buffalo could sign to multi year deal for around 3.5 million

Nylander can continue to develop this year and then step into role next year with Washington when they will need young cheap forwards to fill out there roster.

Beaulieu/Scandella, Evan Rodrigues, and San Jose 1st to Ottawa for Cody Cici and JG Pageau

Pageau can be 2nd line Center for this year and next at a good salary of 3.1 mil cap hit

Cici gives Buffalo a 3rd RD, physical and an RFA 

Ottawa  can choose either more experience Scandella or younger, cheaper Beaulieu

Rodrigues gives them cheaper option than Pageau

Ottawa gets a 1st rd pick which they lost to Colorado in Duchene trade

Maybe Ottawa could try and trick Colorado into thinking the SJ pick is really the one they included in the deal????

• Haha (+1) 2

With the playoff race effectively over... its time to think about trades for beyond this year. And I do NOT mean trading for picks/prospects.

McCabe is our best trade asset at the moment.... reason: Dahlin and Pilut are locked in as our long term 1-2 punch on the left side. Scandella has 1 year left and Guhle will be pushing for that 3rd spot. We should be looking for similar age/term forwards, preferably a center.

instead of pipe dreams like Couturier... here’s 3 forwards that I think would help move us in the right direction, while also being in the ball park of “McCabe trade value give or take a pick”

the Isles 4th line center Casey Czikas has 2 more years at 3.35 per at 27 yrs old and will then be UFA... while not the 2nd line center we need, he could play some leveraged 3C and get us out of the business of playing Sobotka at center.

Andreas Athanasiou is playing on the 4th line again, even though he’s got 17 goals this year, he has 1 year left at 3.0, but will also be RFA. He’s not a true center but could slide there if needed...  it his more natural fit might be on a gonzo Skinner-Eichel-Athanasiou line allowing Reinhart to slide down and lift Mittelstadt’s offense off the floor on a 2nd line.

Center Chris Tierney with 1 more year at 2.9 per at 24 years old and RFA is an ideal target. One of our best options... a true center who can go the heavy lifting defensively but also drive offense. He would form solid 1-2 punch in the middle of the lineup 

21 minutes ago, jame said:

With the playoff race effectively over... its time to think about trades for beyond this year. And I do NOT mean trading for picks/prospects.

McCabe is our best trade asset at the moment.... reason: Dahlin and Pilut are locked in as our long term 1-2 punch on the left side. Scandella has 1 year left and Guhle will be pushing for that 3rd spot. We should be looking for similar age/term forwards, preferably a center.

instead of pipe dreams like Couturier... here’s 3 forwards that I think would help move us in the right direction, while also being in the ball park of “McCabe trade value give or take a pick”

the Isles 4th line center Casey Czikas has 2 more years at 3.35 per at 27 yrs old and will then be UFA... while not the 2nd line center we need, he could play some leveraged 3C and get us out of the business of playing Sobotka at center.

Andreas Athanasiou is playing on the 4th line again, even though he’s got 17 goals this year, he has 1 year left at 3.0, but will also be RFA. He’s not a true center but could slide there if needed...  it his more natural fit might be on a gonzo Skinner-Eichel-Athanasiou line allowing Reinhart to slide down and lift Mittelstadt’s offense off the floor on a 2nd line.

Center Chris Tierney with 1 more year at 2.9 per at 24 years old and RFA is an ideal target. One of our best options... a true center who can go the heavy lifting defensively but also drive offense. He would form solid 1-2 punch in the middle of the lineup 

Detroit has effectively said they are not moving him.

McCabe, is our only physical LD, I hope you have a replacement in mind if your moving him, because both Pilut and Dahlin are anything but physical.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think the value is there. I have zero interest in Kempe and Toffoli hasn't exactly set the world on fire the last two years. 

I like Toffoli, just not a big fan of that deal in particular. We're 1 piece too heavy, I think. 

Agreed. Take away one of the prospects. Doesn’t matter which one. Maybe replace them with like a 3rd and I’m fine with it.

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Detroit has effectively said they are not moving him.

McCabe, is our only physical LD, I hope you have a replacement in mind if your moving him, because both Pilut and Dahlin are anything but physical.

While I like Jame’s targets, agree McCabe is one of the few reliable non brain farting D.  More likely to move someone else... prospects and or picks for his targets.

Edited by North Buffalo

20 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I am fine with this trade but I would add Okposo for Dustin Brown.

Salaries are the same but we get rid of cap hit one year earlier on Brown's contract.

If I am going to pay 6mil to a third or fourth line winger I would rather have Brown filling that role than Okposo.

This would be an interesting wrinkle to that deal that I could get behind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.