Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But to the original question, take a look at what the Sabres gave up for 1 season of Skinner.  That's the ceiling of what would come back in a trade.  Not exactly worth blowing up the top line for it.  Especially when all the other negative externalities of trading him are factored in.  When all that's been factored in, the net of trading him is a fan mutiny.

his NMC really limited the price we paid for him, he said no to most trade proposals that happened before that.

26 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

If you forego the extra year... and pick up the extra $1M/year in the contract (which is the difference between $8M and $9M)... then the total overall contract could be the same amount (minus a year). Would Skinner care?

He played himself into this contract. He wanted to the audition going into this contract year... and his best bet was to go to a Buffalo team that was a cellar dweller and get guaranteed first-line play with a bonafide center. I think that was his motivation.... than caring for the actual franchise ?

And I think at this point in his career.... once he gets the contract he wants (maxes out), I don't think he cares who's paying it - regardless of what team he wants to play for, who he'll be playing with. And I think as a 45-goal scorer.... teams would make room if they had to. Seems like we're the only team that can't seem to unload any contracts.

What teams do you see him getting $9MM/year from?  He's not a 40GS when playing with middling linemates.  If he's not a 40+ goal scorer, he's not worth significantly more than Evander Kane IMHO and Kane now is pretty much $7x7.  And, again, without an Eichel, he's not a 40 GS.

Andif he could be, say, Matthews LW, how do they work a $9MM contract into that already bloated F contract lineup?

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

What teams do you see him getting $9MM/year from?  He's not a 40GS when playing with middling linemates.  If he's not a 40+ goal scorer, he's not worth significantly more than Evander Kane IMHO and Kane now is pretty much $7x7.  And, again, without an Eichel, he's not a 40 GS.

Andif he could be, say, Matthews LW, how do they work a $9MM contract into that already bloated F contract lineup?

I don't disagree with you. Those are all logical points. And I'm not THAT much of an NHL nut to know which teams can currently afford that salary. But what I do know.... is that team's always find a way. How the Leafs cleared all those terrible contracts a few years ago was mind-numbing.

But I've been a fan of professional sports for 10+ years. And the one constant I always see is bloated contracts... based on history (more than projection) for older players that produced in the past.... or maxing out every year based on that player's best statistical year. Let's be honest..... Jack didn't deserve $10/year up to this point. Giving it to him had a lot of nuance to it... but always in the player's favor.

Especially when it comes to Free Agency. And 40-goal scorers... regardless of how... are a rare commodity in this league now. Somebody is going to over-pay.... there's hardly ever good value contracts any longer.

Edited by Die Hard

From Saturday Headlines last night on HNIC

Matt Duchene expected to be available at the trade deadline as his contract talks with Ottawa haven’t been productive.

Michael Ferland expected to be on the market as well

Also Dougie Hamilton could be available for the right price as the Hurricanes May look to move a RHD 

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Saturday Headlines last night on HNIC

Matt Duchene expected to be available at the trade deadline as his contract talks with Ottawa haven’t been productive.

Michael Ferland expected to be on the market as well

Also Dougie Hamilton could be available for the right price as the Hurricanes May look to move a RHD 

What a kick in the rear end that'll be if they end up trading him away considering they've given up what will almost definitely be a top 5 pick this year in that package to land him.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

What a kick in the rear end that'll be if they end up trading him away considering they've given up what will almost definitely be a top 5 pick this year in that package to land him.

Oh man Hamilton too, can't believe this guy keeps getting moved. 

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Moving Risto is wrong, but why would Sabres trade Risto for Hamilton ? why would you?

I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that he means that if Risto is dealt, Hamilton could be targeted in a seperate trade. 

Still, the return on Risto had best be spectacular in the first instance, and meh on Hamilton. 

Edited by Sabel79

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Sure hope we dont move Risto at all. He was terrible in the start of this season but has turned it around. 

And even if he is bad, him and bogo are our few tough guys we actually have.    Wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Ferland to add some toughness.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

And even if he is bad, him and bogo are our few tough guys we actually have.    Wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Ferland to add some toughness.

I really hope Botterill isn’t stuck in this ancient mindset. Successful teams just don’t do this stuff anymore.

From The Athletic Craig Custance

We’re at that point. Many of the NHL’s general managers got together during the World Junior Championships, where trade talk is inevitably stoked. Most teams are hosting organizational scouting meetings this week, if they haven’t already. After that input is received, trade season is open in earnest. Fun time for the fans. Stressful time for the players. And if you’re a GM, it’s as busy as it will be all year.

It’s also an interesting market. Several conversations with GMs and league executives over the course of the past week or so have indicated that it’s a strong buyers market right now. As one GM put it, there’s already a lot of inventory out there and we’re early on in the process.

“Half the league is a moderate to aggressive seller,” said the GM.

It’s good news for potential buyers like San Jose, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Nashville, Toronto and others. Not so great if you’re trying to sell. But the high number of sellers also makes for a fascinating list of available players, one that will be ever expanding as we get closer to the Feb. 25 deadline

I wonder which Seller will set the market 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We’re at that point. Many of the NHL’s general managers got together during the World Junior Championships, where trade talk is inevitably stoked. Most teams are hosting organizational scouting meetings this week, if they haven’t already. After that input is received, trade season is open in earnest. Fun time for the fans. Stressful time for the players. And if you’re a GM, it’s as busy as it will be all year.

It’s also an interesting market. Several conversations with GMs and league executives over the course of the past week or so have indicated that it’s a strong buyers market right now. As one GM put it, there’s already a lot of inventory out there and we’re early on in the process.

It’s good news for potential buyers like San Jose, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Nashville, Toronto and others. Not so great if you’re trying to sell. But the high number of sellers also makes for a fascinating list of available players, one that will be ever expanding as we get closer to the Feb. 25 deadline

So find our ST (1-1/2 season's worth) 2C, Mr. Botterill.

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If I had to guess, Philly or St. Louis.

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I really hope Botterill isn’t stuck in this ancient mindset. Successful teams just don’t do this stuff anymore.

I mean players also that don't fall over wiht the slightest push, or just when no one is around like Erod/sheary.

Edited by Huckleberry

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Sure. I’m not sure what that has to do with any of this.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That we don't have enough players that push back, we have to many pussies on the team.

Are we talking about the Sabres or the Beauts?? The reason I ask is those things are pretty tough, they take a beating and keep on ticking. Maybe a better description would be gonads, because them suckers are adverse to a hit and curl up into a tiny ball when dipped into cold water

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.