Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

@... I don’t really understand your question. I haven’t advocated for anyone on the roster to be traded.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if you could trade for Jesse Puljujarvi... hmmm that might get a 1st round pick from me. 

Yuck. Zero interest in spending the second half of the season trying to develop him in the lineup. He’s done absolutely nothing to this point and can’t crack a bad Oilers lineup consistently. This is the opposite of the type of trade this team should look for.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

@... I don’t really understand your question. I haven’t advocated for anyone on the roster to be traded.

If you're involved in talking about trades, then you must have Sabres players in mind who would/should be traded, no?  I'm simply asking which players are not on that list.

6 minutes ago, ... said:

If you're involved in talking about trades, then you must have Sabres players in mind who would/should be traded, no?  I'm simply asking which players are not on that list.

I have zero opinions that say any specific players SHOULD be traded. No interest in trading anybody at the top of the lineup (Eichel, Dahlin, Okposo, Reinhart, Skinner, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Hutton, Ullmark). If someone demands someone like Larsson or Girgensons then I don’t care as long as the player coming back is worth it.

The types of trades I’m talking about (mostly) are just picks and prospects. That’s how the deadline works.

Rebuilding takes time and the Sabres have certainly taken their time. With that said, I would not change a thing this year on this team, unless some stupid offer comes their way. I would let them grow together this year and see how far they can take themselves. Thry might surprise us. I would concentrate on signing Skinner.

22 hours ago, Hoss said:

Another name to consider as the deadline approaches: Phil Kessel.

The Pens are struggling and there was talk about him being dealt in the offseason. He’s 31 and has three years left at $6.8M each.

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

Both. Realistically I think this question is tougher than this board will acknowledge. Jeff Skinner isn’t Phil Kessel. I’m not confident he ever will be. And chances are the last couple years of his $8M+ salary won’t be as good as the last few years of Phil’s sub-$7M salary.

I probably take Jeff Skinner over the next three years, though.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:10 AM, Hoss said:

So... the Buffalo News did a profile piece on Patrick Kane as he turns 30. A little weird, but it was a reminder of the days we all spent wondering about his possible future as a Sabre someday.

Let’s pose the question: with the Blackhawks struggling and looking like they’re in need of a roster flip and some cap flexibility, would you have any interest in trading for Kane? If so, for what?

On 11/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, Hoss said:

I’m still very interested in pursuing Tyler Toffoli. If we could pull off getting him without giving up a first I’d be stoked. I would also be willing to give them a first and next to nothing on top of that to make it happen. Maybe the worst first we get this season and a throw in from the low end of our prospect pool (Bailey, Bryson, Malone).

Mark Stone is the ultimate deadline prize and I’d be willing to give a similar cost. Maybe a little more but he’s expiring.

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I have zero opinions that say any specific players SHOULD be traded. No interest in trading anybody at the top of the lineup (Eichel, Dahlin, Okposo, Reinhart, Skinner, Sheary, Mittelstadt, Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Hutton, Ullmark). If someone demands someone like Larsson or Girgensons then I don’t care as long as the player coming back is worth it.

The types of trades I’m talking about (mostly) are just picks and prospects. That’s how the deadline works.

Say what, again?  Those are just your posts from the past few pages.  Obviously not all participants in this thread and definitely not the full tenor.  If you go back a few more days, people want to make a trade that makes the Sabres a contender this season.  The kind of trade(s) that would upset the chemistry, which is the basis for our little exchange here.  I'm not picking a fight with you, just, if anything, evangelizing the concept of chemistry. 

Edited by ...

I would trade KO in a heartbeat, and pay someone a lesser pick or prospect as a sweetener, if JBott could find someone to take KO's contract. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Say what, again?  Those are just your posts from the past few pages.  Obviously not all participants in this thread and definitely not the full tenor.  If you go back a few more days, people want to make a trade that makes the Sabres a contender this season.  The kind of trade(s) that would upset the chemistry, which is the basis for our little exchange here.  I'm not picking a fight with you, just, if anything, evangelizing the concept of chemistry. 

Hoss can certainly speak for himself, but I think he meant that any trades he'd be interested would involve the Sabres parting with picks and/or prospects -- not roster players (or at least not roster players with big roles).

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Hoss can certainly speak for himself, but I think he meant that any trades he'd be interested would involve the Sabres parting with picks and/or prospects -- not roster players (or at least not roster players with big roles).

I get that.  That's what he JUST said, but the theme the past several days or longer is to find trades that make the Sabres a contender this season.  

I have an "issue" with that thinking because it rearranges what was just built up - it's the same kind of thinking that people complain about when coaches change around lines or sit players when things are working fine.

Edited by ...

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I would trade KO in a heartbeat, and pay someone a lesser pick or prospect as a sweetener, if JBott could find someone to take KO's contract. 

This is an interesting idea, especially since KO finally looks like the player we thought we were getting. If you (GMJB) believe this "new" Okposo isn't sustainable, this would be your opportunity to trade him for close to 100% value given his recent play. That's how to play the sell high/buy low game.

1 minute ago, ... said:

I get that.  That's what he JUST said, but the theme the past several days or longer is to find trades that make the Sabres a contender this season.  

But a lousy team looking to sell off a good roster player probably wants picks and/or prospects, innit?  And if the Sabres make that kind of trade -- like, say, a low #1 for Panarin or KO, Nylander, Guhle and a low #1 for Kane -- doesn't that make them a contender this season?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder how much KO's leadership in the room helps though. Not saying I wouldn't trade him just thinking out loud more or less. 

I think you're right about this -- I would guess that he is a pretty good leader and is well-respected in the room.

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

This is an interesting idea, especially since KO finally looks like the player we thought we were getting. If you (GMJB) believe this "new" Okposo isn't sustainable, this would be your opportunity to trade him for close to 100% value given his recent play. That's how to play the sell high/buy low game.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't liked KO's game for the past few games.  Nice assist to Casey last night though, to be sure.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

But a lousy team looking to sell off a good roster player probably wants picks and/or prospects, innit?  And if the Sabres make that kind of trade -- like, say, a low #1 for Panarin or KO, Nylander, Guhle and a low #1 for Kane -- doesn't that make them a contender this season?

I think you're right about this -- I would guess that he is a pretty good leader and is well-respected in the room.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't liked KO's game for the past few games.  Nice assist to Casey last night though, to be sure.

I haven't liked his game much either, but I think as a GM you can point to a higher point total and better looking play and say he's back to previous level of play. It's an easier sell than in past years where he looked like a shell of his Islander days.

17 minutes ago, ... said:

None of those posts indicate I want players traded off the roster. I mentioned that Kessel is a name to watch at the deadline as a generality about the league then talked about the possible fit for the Sabres. I was asked who I’d rather have: Skinner or Kessel. I wasn’t advocating a trade of Skinner for Kessel and I’d be pissed if it happened.

The Kane stuff was a question I posed to the board. Again, not something I’m advocating for. You can quote the other tweets where I say I don’t want to trade for him (I would if we could get an absolute steal but that’s not happening).

This was a setup with no punchline.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

If we could get Dzingel for a second (would have to be 2020) and a prospect not among our top names I’d be stoked.

Also forgot to mention that Dreger says Panarin’s position might be softening when it comes to Columbus. If he’s not coming here and he’s not going west I want him to stay with the BJs.

This is a discussion more about between now and the deadline. Chemistry probably won’t last for several months. And adding a worthwhile talent will trump that.

1 hour ago, ... said:

While I agree the discussion is a valid one, personally I don't think a trade for a heroic second round run is worth the loss of a first round pick.  Still, on the bolded, I think the Chicagos, LAs, and Pittsburghs of the last 10 seasons would argue with your point.  The magic may not last indefinitely, but it can last far longer than several months.

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

None of those posts indicate I want players traded off the roster. I mentioned that Kessel is a name to watch at the deadline as a generality about the league then talked about the possible fit for the Sabres. I was asked who I’d rather have: Skinner or Kessel. I wasn’t advocating a trade of Skinner for Kessel and I’d be pissed if it happened.

The Kane stuff was a question I posed to the board. Again, not something I’m advocating for. You can quote the other tweets where I say I don’t want to trade for him (I would if we could get an absolute steal but that’s not happening).

This was a setup with no punchline.

This tangent has been about upsetting chemistry with trades.  The tenor of the conversation here over the past several days has been over making trades to contend.  You said above adding worthwhile talent trumps chemistry.  There is indeed a punchline or are we just talking here just to talk without a real clear picture of what the results are? Just the ephemeral concept of "contending"? 

Edited by ...

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'm in the Skinner, 7yr x8.5mil level of excited for Skinner. 

I'm in the keep Skinner crowd as well, but every cap dollar we save with the core players makes it easier to compete for rentals/secondary pieces to put us over the top. I'm optimistically hoping that we can cash in some of the goodwill built from this team's unexpected success to try to keep this group together long term at a reasonable discount.

That said, Skinner deserves a good contract based on his play and chemistry with JE.

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the focus and determination Okposo is bringing to the ice and the room.

If there is a Drury on this team, keeping the boys accountable, my money is on him. And he is pacing for about 20 goals and 50 points, while addressing that horrible plus/minus number that plagued him from last year.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the focus and determination Okposo is bringing to the ice and the room.

If there is a Drury on this team, keeping the boys accountable, my money is on him. And he is pacing for about 20 goals and 50 points, while addressing that horrible plus/minus n7mber that plagued him from last year.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here.

In the back of my mind I am terrified that KO will turn back into a pumpkin and we end up kicking ourselves for not capitalizing on the opportunity to get value and get out of that contract. I want to believe but the last few years are hard to forget.

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here.

In the back of my mind I am terrified that KO will turn back into a pumpkin and we end up kicking ourselves for not capitalizing on the opportunity to get value and get out of that contract. I want to believe but the last few years are hard to forget.

Yes. If we can sell high we need to consider it.

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

they could pull this off if it wasn't for those meddling kids and that darned salary cap

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.