Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, Weave said:

I can’t think of a better “grow from within” opportunity than a round of playoffs.  If a 2C better assured that growth opportunity, then I think it is worth one of those 1st rd picks.

Taro pretty much nailed it.  The whole purpose of adding that center would be some help for Mittlestadt.  The price for that really would depend on when they decide to do it and the term that center has left.  My guess is they could get away with spending a lower pick, but like you, I'm not opposed to moving one of the 1sts.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

I can’t think of a better “grow from within” opportunity than a round of playoffs.  If a 2C better assured that growth opportunity, then I think it is worth one of those 1st rd picks.

I'm kinda on the fence with all this.

I agree with parts of both posts....yours and schrader.

On one hand....do you take the chance of upsetting the chemistry and locker-room you just fixed by making a trade, even if it does add some talent at a spot of need. That 2C is not likely to come from a play-off bound team and Casey has been getting better seemingly by the game. To pay a1st rd pick for a risk of losing what you developed is lets say...risky. If they still miss the playoffs the effects could go in many directions.

On the other hand....if you do nothing and let the boys ride it out and determine their own fate, the outcome either way (playoffs/no playoffs) could go in different directions...good/ bad.

With that said, I tend to lean more toward no-trade because I think the result would be more team building no matter which way it ends AND doesn't cost you a 1st rd pick whom might help you get there sooner than later. I've waited this long and am willing to let a dynasty build as it's going rather than a quick fix that may not last.

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

Except we don’t know if there is an actual need.  Erod and Casey haven’t shown yet they are ready for that role, but they are showing signs that they could grow into that role over the course of this season.

i am of the belief that, baring serious injuries, that this team will be better in the 2nd half then in the first and we are already in a playoff spot.  We are already starting to see that growth.  The secondary scoring is coming around after a rough start. 

Jbot is very calculating (in a good way), but also not afraid to jump on an opportunity (Skinner) or remove a problem (Moulson and ROR). If he sees a definite need he’ll address it, but right now I think he is going to be patient and see where this goes.  He is not going to mortgage the future for this turnaround season when the peak of this squad is 2019-20 and later.

That said I am curious what Guhle’s future is here.  I think Pilut is the better player.  Dahlin and McCabe are solidifying themselves as the top 2 LHD for the future.  Right now I see him and Smith as the top prospects Jbot maybe willing to part with if he decides to acquire someone.  Also our 2020 1st could be available in the right circumstances as I see Stl exercising their option to keep this year’s 1st (and giving us 2020 instead) as their ROR lead team is already sinking.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2. Pittsburgh GM Jim Rutherford celebrated his contract extension by trading Carl Hagelin to Los Angeles for Tanner Pearson. Penguins coach Mike Sullivan loved Hagelin, who will be a free agent. They will try to revive Pearson, without a goal in his last 30 regular-season and playoff games.

Do not discount the possibility of Rutherford and Anaheim’s Bob Murray trying a lateral “change-of-scenery” trade. Those don’t happen much anymore, but they’ve done it before (Hagelin-David Perron in 2016). Both are looking for change, and the rumoured names were not involved in this trade.

3. With Rutherford mildly annoyed at his team, one of the players who most intrigues opposing teams isn’t even on his current roster. That would be Calen Addison, a right-shooting defenceman at WHL Lethbridge. Addison, taken 53rd in last June’s draft, has 20 points in his first 18 games. Two of the three defenders ahead of him in scoring were 2018 first-rounders: Spokane’s Ty Smith (17th, New Jersey) and Red Deer’s Alexander Alexeyev (31st, Washington).

4. Pearson’s name had been out there. I think list of players Los Angeles is willing to move is growing.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-bettman-no-interest-nhl-playoff-expansion/

On 11/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, Taro T said:

There are only 2 spots that I want Botterill to fill this season (barring something wild fallinginto his lap).

The 1st, & far more important, a 2C that can also slot to a 3C after Mittelstadt matures into the LT 2C.  And remember, Asplund & Davidsson are on their way relatively soon, and I expect at least 1 of the 2 to be able to be a bottom 6 C, so ideally this is filling a hole now & restocking depth tomorrow.

IF the right deal is there bring in another 2nd pairing D, ideally RH, but LH works almost as well as Dahlin will likely play the right side in the future & McCabe can play off wing as well (+, can't Pilut also go offhand?).

Agree with this. For some reason I think Davidsson ends up on the wing, though. Not sure why, but I do know he's played wing in addition to C.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:46 AM, shrader said:

Taro pretty much nailed it.  The whole purpose of adding that center would be some help for Mittlestadt.  The price for that really would depend on when they decide to do it and the term that center has left.  My guess is they could get away with spending a lower pick, but like you, I'm not opposed to moving one of the 1sts.

I too agree a 2C could probably be had for less than a 1st. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Agree with this. For some reason I think Davidsson ends up on the wing, though. Not sure why, but I do know he's played wing in addition to C.

I too agree a 2C could probably be had for less than a 1st. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see Davidsson slide to wing as the most noticeable thing about his play at the WJC was that he ALWAYS won the board battles.  But until they move him there, I'll expect him to be a C prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, shrader said:

Moving a first is a bad idea. I'd like to use all 3.

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I want to keep both the blues and sharks pick, I have a feeling they might be pretty high next year.

I don’t think the Sharks will be “high.” Probably in the 20s this year. The Blues remains to be seen if we get it this year or next.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I want to keep both the blues and sharks pick, I have a feeling they might be pretty high next year.

35 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think the Sharks will be “high.” Probably in the 20s this year. The Blues remains to be seen if we get it this year or next.

If the Sharks miss the playoffs, the pick goes to Ottawa.  As has been pointed out, the Blues pick is top-ten protected.  From a pure draft position standpoint, it just might be better if the Sabres have their three picks in 2020 and not 2019.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If they are next year or this year, as long as we use them. Our prospect pool is still not where I want it to be. Taking 4 players in the first round in the next 2 years could net us 4 players for the top 6 forwards or top 4 def.  Maybe we will get a Pastrnak or a Barzal or a Jokiharju. We will know a lot more about these years draft class after January when midterms come out. That is really when things start to solidify and you can find good write ups. I really hope the Athletic has some good draft prospect coverage. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’d only be interested if it’s for someone younger with term. Certainly not ready to call it a bad idea without knowing what is out there and where we are.

I was going to say the view was too simplistic and you've covered that answer very quickly here.  I don't want too deeply into hypotheticals, but if one of the 1sts was the centerpiece of a deal that brought back a legit #2 center with 2 or 3 years left on his contract, its certainly something most would heavily consider.  I'm not sure exactly when the moment will be, but at some point this team is going to have to start adding for now instead of for 304 years from now.  That's a place we've all been dying to get to for years now.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure you can, but if we are trading for younger ROR giving up multiple pieces to do it seems short sighted when Mittelstadt is supposed to develop into our 2nd line center.

"Supposed to" is a big phrase there.  That is no guarantee, but even if he does, center is the position where I want more depth than anywhere else.  I'll listen to that including defense in that debate, but that's where I fall personally on this one.

That extra depth would also allow for Mittelstadt to grow into his role.

Edited by shrader

Just now, shrader said:

"Supposed to" is a big phrase there.  That is no guarantee, but even if he does, center is the position where I want more depth than anywhere else.  I'll listen to that including defense in that debate, but that's where I fall personally on this one.

So use that first and draft a center. There's also, Asplund and Davidsson in the pipeline currently. What if Nylander lives up to his draft status and is a 70pt player? Trading him plus for 50pt 2way center seems questionable. Sure there is a lot of variables and what ifs but what if the new center sucks at the system? What if they don't mesh well? what if they do get surpassed. I wouldn't trade the multiple pieces required. I do find it interesting that we are essentially trading for ROR again... 1st, Thompson, 2 depth forwards.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So use that first and draft a center. There's also, Asplund and Davidsson in the pipeline currently. What if Nylander lives up to his draft status and is a 70pt player? Trading him plus for 50pt 2way center seems questionable. Sure there is a lot of variables and what ifs but what if the new center sucks at the system? What if they don't mesh well? what if they do get surpassed. I wouldn't trade the multiple pieces required. I do find it interesting that we are essentially trading for ROR again... 1st, Thompson, 2 depth forwards.

You've dug a bit too deeply on this one.  I'm not sure how exploring the center trade market has morphed into sending multiple pieces for an O'Reilly clone.  I'll give you credit though, you've always been very consistent with the value you place on the team's prospects and picks.  I really wish we could quantify this stuff, figure out the success rate of a poster's favorite prospects.  I'd call it the Catenacci scale.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.