Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

tbh I don't see the need for us to trade for more defense, we have enough that can play both sides.

He is a UFA after being waived by TB. No trade necessary.  Our NHL RHD’s are Risto, Bogo and Nelson.  TB used “conditioning” to terminate his contract.  

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, Huckleberry said:

tbh I don't see the need for us to trade for more defense, we have enough that can play both sides.

For as long as Zach Bogosian is penciled into the top 4, there's a need to at least investigate every available option at RHD. Even if they decide to pass they should at least look into it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, Hoss said:

He showed up "vastly overweight" as one put it.

this is from friedman 

5. The NHLPA has another seven weeks to decide if it will appeal Tampa’s termination of Jake Dotchin’s contract, but how can it not? As one GM said Sunday, “What happens if some team is pissed off at someone with five years left on his deal, and he can’t do a pushup? Can he get cut, too?”

When news of the Lightning’s manoeuvre became known, there were a number of teams seeking additional information. Make no mistake, there was interest. Things cooled because of the impression this is an extreme case, with information the defenceman reported with 25 per cent body fat. I’m sensitive to this for two reasons: first, for much of the past 30 years, I’ve been way too fat myself. Second, you wonder if there’s a health reason this happened. Hopefully, that’s not the case.

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If you have a player on a 5 year deal at presumably large money who can't do a pushup should you NOT be able to release them?

Every able-bodied person should be able to do at least a pushup.  Every hockey player should be able to do a pullup, as I've noted since the 2014 draft.  But even just a regular able-bodied person should be able to do a pushup.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Every able-bodied person should be able to do at least a pushup.  Every hockey player should be able to do a pullup, as I've noted since the 2014 draft.  But even just a regular able-bodied person should be able to do a pushup.  

My Dad used to do 50 pushup a day until he turned 80 and his doctor told him to stop because of his back...   Seriously still do them myself to keep in shape when I don't go to the gym.

33 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

My Dad used to do 50 pushup a day until he turned 80 and his doctor told him to stop because of his back...   Seriously still do them myself to keep in shape when I don't go to the gym.

your Dad is a boss

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If you have a player on a 5 year deal at presumably large money who can't do a pushup should you NOT be able to release them?

It's a slippery slope... where's the line?

I think that unless the contract signed has certain physical performance metrics outlined the contract needs to be honored.  When you choose to invest in someone you do it with the belief they are the kind of person who can fulfill the contract and this includes more than just ability but also the mental fortitude to see it through.  In this case they made a bad investment. 

I understand that one could argue that he can't play at an NHL level anymore based on weight gain.  What if the same argument were made because of a concussion?  That's the slippery slope.

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It's not a slippery slope that way, that's an injury. Getting fat or refusing to lift weights are not injuries. If they are I've been on LTIR for years.

Players suffer concussions and some return and are the same player and some return and people believe are not the same player.  Who is to decide what the cause was and how much of the "same player" they need to be?  Would you be able to terminate Kyle Okposo's contract right now?

I could just as easily make up anything else and it wouldn't matter.  The point is that without a hard metric there is no measuring stick and without it there will always be room for debate over what constitutes sufficient evidence to terminate the contract.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Brawndo said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-trade-talks-heating-up-around-pens-kings~1535465

Tanner Pearson and Daniel Sprong mentioned as trade candidates.

And apparently Carolina is looking for a Top 6 Scoring Winger for some reason 

dudacek and ubkev made posts about how Sprong is an a-hole in the Around thread. Curious why that's the going notion about him, if anyone knows why

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-trade-talks-heating-up-around-pens-kings~1535465

Tanner Pearson and Daniel Sprong mentioned as trade candidates.

And apparently Carolina is looking for a Top 6 Scoring Winger for some reason 

I’d have interest in Pearson but idk that we should make the move now. Fine playing it patient.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd probably try and buy (very) low on Pearson. Maybe. 

Define low.  Move prospects, players or draft picks?   What line do you play him on?  Who do you move to free cap space?  Zemgus to free up a LW slot and cap space?   He has two more years after this one.  So longer than Sheary and Sobotka but less than Bergland.  And almost same Salary.   

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

dudacek and ubkev made posts about how Sprong is an a-hole in the Around thread. Curious why that's the going notion about him, if anyone knows why

To be fair, I personally think Sprong is a d-bag. His teammates all seemed to be fine with him every time I've interacted with them. Some are closer to him than others, but I've never seen any sign of him being a problem with his teammates.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.