Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Still seems like Reinhart and his agent would see that and ask for at least that

Btw, don't forget Ottawa owes it's 1st this year to Colorado, and it's not protected (I think). So, in a year where they'll lose Hoffman and Karlsson, they'll be terrible, and have nothing to build on. They need 1st round picks back for Karlsson

Oh ya Ottawa is in trouble.

Still seems like Reinhart and his agent would see that and ask for at least that

Btw, don't forget Ottawa owes it's 1st this year to Colorado, and it's not protected (I think). So, in a year where they'll lose Hoffman and Karlsson, they'll be terrible, and have nothing to build on. They need 1st round picks back for Karlsson

A sign and trade would be the first smart thing they have done in a while

I still think it’s got maybe a 0.3% chance of happening but... present YOUR package for Karlsson. What’s the most you would give if you’re getting just Karlsson? What’s the most you would give if you’re also bringing Ryan’s contract back?

Assume you’re getting him with an extension of 8x$11M done.

For me if we are going to get involved...

WITH Ryan’s contract:

Reinhart, Nylander, Bogo, a first and a second

WITHOUT Ryan’s contract:

Risto, Asplund and the two weakest first’s from the three upcoming we have

W/out - Ristolainen, the 2 1sts brought in for Murray's guys, the St. Louis 2nd, & any prospect not named Rasmus that wasn't in Buffalo at the end of last year. And a conditional '20 1st. (Lottery protected & can drop to a 2nd if Karlsson's leg acts up.)

W/ Ryan. Swap out Bogosian for Ristolainen, drop the 2nd '19 1st, & the prospect becomes Nylander.

With Karlsson being able to talk with other teams about a contract extension I wonder if JBotts should be intrigued on where he may land.

I would love to land Karlsson if he was three years younger but am not a big believer in bringing in a 28 year old and signing him to an eight year extension that won't end until he is 37 years old.

My interest lies in if he signs with Tampa and who we could possibly get from them.  

My play is a 3 way trade that can help all the teams out.

Tampa only has three defenseman in McDonagh, Hedman and Sergachev signed past next year so I can see them being able to add Karlsson.  But they would have to get a couple of relatively cheap defenseman to fill out their top 6 and lose some of their forwards.

Ottawa is just trying to save money until the team sells.  Hence why they keep attaching Ryan to any Karlsson talks.  

So here is my twisted, made up scenario that I think would work.

Ottawa trades Karlsson and Ryan to Tampa.

Tampa trades Ottawa 2020 1st rd pick.

Tampa trades Buffalo Stralman, Ryan Callahan and Ondrej Palat.

Buffalo trades Ottawa Bogo, Johan Larsson, Alex Nylander and 2019 conditional (St Louis or San Jose)

Buffalo trades Tampa Nathan Beaulieu

So how does it break down for each team--

Ottawa trades away Karlsson, and Ryan and gets back  2019 1st rd pick, 2020 1st rd pick, Johan Larsson, and Alex Nylander.

Tampa trades away Stralman, Palat, Callahan, and 2020 1st rd pick and gets back Karlsson, Ryan, Beaulieu.

Buffalo trades away Bogo, Johan Larsson, Nathan Beaulieu, Alex Nylander and 2019 1st rd pick and gets back Stralman, Palat, and Callahan.

Buffalo line up-

Sheary- Eichel- Reinhart

Sobatka-Mittelstadt- Okposo

Palat- Bergland- Callahan

Wilson- ERod- Baptiste/Thompson

McCabe- Risto

Scandella- Dahlin

Guhle- Stralman

Edited by sweetlou

Ottawa just became the worst team in the AHL

That was his point:  Ottawa is looking to conserve $ until the new ownership team is in place.  This accomplishes that and gives them extra 1st round picks to restock the cupboard.  It actually makes sense if you look where that team is going.

Interesting.  Imaginative.  Will never happen though.  Good thought experiment.

That was his point:  Ottawa is looking to conserve $ until the new ownership team is in place.  This accomplishes that and gives them extra 1st round picks to restock the cupboard.  It actually makes sense if you look where that team is going.

Interesting.  Imaginative.  Will never happen though.  Good thought experiment.

Thanks...just trying to have fun.  In one sense I didn't think Buffalo was getting enough back with losing the 1st rd pick.  But then I was dumping the other players so it kind of looks like a first rd pick for Palat.

Edited by sweetlou

To OTT: Ristolainen, Reinhart, Nylander and Bogosian (cap dump) and a 1st

To BUF: Karlsson and Wideman

They just re-signed Wideman and the conversation isn’t worth having if you’re dumping cap on them without taking any cap off them. Their trying like hell to attach Ryan to this deal, so it’s clear what they want to do.

To OTT: Ristolainen, Reinhart, Nylander and Bogosian (cap dump) and a 1st

To BUF: Karlsson and Wideman

Not that I think Botterill was being straight up in his ROR answers, but I’d love to see him explain this deal after trading O’Reilly looking to acquire assets “of an age with our core.”

They just re-signed Wideman and the conversation isn’t worth having if you’re dumping cap on them without taking any cap off them. Their trying like hell to attach Ryan to this deal, so it’s clear what they want to do.

JBOT probably tired like hell to attach Moulson or Bogo to the Kane and ROR deals too... doesn't mean it's going to happen.    

Not that I think Botterill was being straight up in his ROR answers, but I’d love to see him explain this deal after trading O’Reilly looking to acquire assets “of an age with our core.”

It's just an idea of what I think that deal might look like if it were to happen... which I hope it does not.   JBOT would spin it as bringing in a mentor for Dahlin....  which I still think needs to happen, Scandella or Bogo are not that guy.    A guy like Bieksa makes sense, but he's not interested unfortunately.

JBOT probably tired like hell to attach Moulson or Bogo to the Kane and ROR deals too... doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Kane and O’Reilly combined don’t have the value Karlsson does. And I’m not saying they absolutely will be able to attach Ryan but there’s no way they both don’t attach him AND take on salary in the process.

i posted it in another thread, but i would trade all three of our 2019 first rounders for Karlsson (w/ extension). i could throw in a prospect or two as well, but not any of the NHL-ready or borderline NHL-ready guys. I would lottery protect our own pick.

For Ottawa, they have no first round pick of their own and are clearly in rebuild mode. How could they say no to three first round picks in the upcoming draft (potentially)? it would be a nice kickstart to their rebuild. I keep hearing the 2019 draft is "deep." I can't verify that, as I've only followed Hughes, but if it is indeed viewed as a deep draft class then that might be enticing to them. 

i don't think i could put together a offer where we take bobby ryan back. if that is the demand, i guess i move on to panarin.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I doubt they would ever trade him within the division.   Was even publicly stated that Hoffman/Karlsson can be traded but out of the division only.

And they saw how well that worked out for them with the Hoffman trade. they embarrassed themselves. they owe it to their fans to get out of their own way on this one. take the best offer available, regardless of his destination. 

but, i do agree, it is an extremely unlikely scenario. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.