Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

And Chara wasn't THE face of the franchise, just because Ottawa was loaded. He was certainly a face of the franchise as a bona-fide top 3 D in the league, unless Eichel isn't the face of our franchise because he's 39th in scoring and we drafted Dahlin. 

Either way, I don't think free agents of yesteryear have anything to do with Tavares and the likelihood that he leaves a joke of a team that can't figure out where to play, won't fire their GM, and put the worst D and goaltending combo out on the ice with little effort to fix it.

Also if I'm NYI I let him go and try to rebuild around Barzal, who was a better player for the duration of the season anyway, according to Islanders fans.

And Chara wasn't THE face of the franchise, just because Ottawa was loaded. He was certainly a face of the franchise as a bona-fide top 3 D in the league, unless Eichel isn't the face of our franchise because he's 39th in scoring and we drafted Dahlin. 

Either way, I don't think free agents of yesteryear have anything to do with Tavares and the likelihood that he leaves a joke of a team that can't figure out where to play, won't fire their GM, and put the worst D and goaltending combo out on the ice with little effort to fix it.

Also if I'm NYI I let him go and try to rebuild around Barzal, who was a better player for the duration of the season anyway, according to Islanders fans.

Eichel was just in this exact situation and what did he do? He signed a $10M contract with a joke of a team with yet again another GM and the worst D and goaltending combo in the league with nothing else to offer him.

THE face of the franchise matters a ton in these cases. You are THE guy, it's your city, your team, your franchise, your locker room...that stuff goes a long way. You've spent your entire career there, you're comfortable there, they will pay you there, and you own the city. These franchise guys...they never leave! Never! The Islanders will throw $13M a year at him if they have to, and fire anyone they need to if he doesn't like it. They will give him by far and away a better offer than any other team can even remotely come close to. And at the end of the day he'll see that money, power, comfort and familiarity, and he'll convince himself they can turn it around, and he'll stay.

Edit: Let's just say he did do that. Why on Earth would he EVER come to Buffalo?? To play 2nd fiddle to Eichel? To come to a different team with the same issues he just ran away from? THERE IS NOTHING HERE FOR HIM!!! :lol:

Edited by WildCard

Jack Eichel was an RFA. This isn't the same thing. 

If Jack Eichel wanted to leave Jack Eichel would have left. He didn't even wait until his RFA year

Yeah, Eichel was not in that situation. 

Fine, Stamkos was.

Queue 'Stamkos had a better team..'

If Jack Eichel wanted to leave Jack Eichel would have left. He didn't even wait until his RFA year

Fine, Stamkos was.

Queue 'Stamkos had a better team..'

He literally cannot leave. What would he do? Sit out? 

I can't believe you wanna argue that a RFA and a UFA are equivalent when deciding where to play. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

He literally cannot leave. What would he do? Sit out? 

I can't believe you wanna argue that a RFA and a UFA are equivalent when deciding where to play. 

Yes that's the crux of my argument. Not Stamkos or Hossa or anything, I'm fixated on Jack. 

Flagg wanted a recent example and Eichel came to mind. He was in a garbage city and chose to sign here for 8 years even before his deal ran up; before anyone could offer sheet him, before he could demand a trade (like many others have done) or anything like that. What in the world was Eichel's motivation for signing that contract other than everything I've listed is the same exact reason superstars never leave

Yes that's the crux of my argument. Not Stamkos or Hossa or anything, I'm fixated on Jack. 

Flagg wanted a recent example and Eichel came to mind. He was in a garbage city and chose to sign here for 8 years even before his deal ran up; before anyone could offer sheet him, before he could demand a trade (like many others have done) or anything like that. What in the world was Eichel's motivation for signing that contract other than everything I've listed is the same exact reason superstars never leave

He was a RFA. He couldn't leave, so he made the best of the situation. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I agree with most of this, except that I think the Islanders would be crazy not to try very hard to keep him.

Eichel was just in this exact situation and what did he do? He signed a $10M contract with a joke of a team with yet again another GM and the worst D and goaltending combo in the league with nothing else to offer him.

THE face of the franchise matters a ton in these cases. You are THE guy, it's your city, your team, your franchise, your locker room...that stuff goes a long way. You've spent your entire career there, you're comfortable there, they will pay you there, and you own the city. These franchise guys...they never leave! Never! The Islanders will throw $13M a year at him if they have to, and fire anyone they need to if he doesn't like it. They will give him by far and away a better offer than any other team can even remotely come close to. And at the end of the day he'll see that money, power, comfort and familiarity, and he'll convince himself they can turn it around, and he'll stay.

Edit: Let's just say he did do that. Why on Earth would he EVER come to Buffalo?? To play 2nd fiddle to Eichel? To come to a different ###### team with the same issues he just ran away from? THERE IS NOTHING HERE FOR HIM!!! :lol:

I think in some cases you are right that being the face of the franchise matters to the player, but I don't think that will apply in JT's case.

It's a poorly-run, vagabond franchise that is going to play in Brooklyn -- where there isn't much fan support or franchise history -- for at least 2 more seasons, and probably 3, before they move to their new arena.  Since the Isles are moving, there won't be much new fan support coming from Brooklyn, so he's looking at 2 or 3 more years of crappy home game atmosphere and likely no playoffs.  By the time they get to their new home -- and there is still a real risk that that arena never gets built, btw -- he'll be 31.

Those facts I think reduce or eliminate the "spent his entire career there/comfortable/own the city" elements of JT's situation.  And I think other teams (most of which will be in lower-tax and lower-cost-of-living cities) will pay as much as the Isles will.

There's also the very real fact that he hasn't signed a contract yet despite the Isles trying hard to get him to do so.

I think in some cases you are right that being the face of the franchise matters to the player, but I don't think that will apply in JT's case.

It's a poorly-run, vagabond franchise that is going to play in Brooklyn -- where there isn't much fan support or franchise history -- for at least 2 more seasons, and probably 3, before they move to their new arena.  Since the Isles are moving, there won't be much new fan support coming from Brooklyn, so he's looking at 2 or 3 more years of crappy home game atmosphere and likely no playoffs.  By the time they get to their new home -- and there is still a real risk that that arena never gets built, btw -- he'll be 31.

Those facts I think reduce or eliminate the "spent his entire career there/comfortable/own the city" elements of JT's situation.  And I think other teams (most of which will be in lower-tax and lower-cost-of-living cities) will pay as much as the Isles will.

There's also the very real fact that he hasn't signed a contract yet despite the Isles trying hard to get him to do so.

I mean I agree with the scenario, and while I think he's the most likely to leave, the fact is these guys just never do. Where would he even go? Who can afford him AND provide him with the life he's built in NYC?

I mean I agree with the scenario, and while I think he's the most likely to leave, the fact is these guys just never do. Where would he even go? Who can afford him AND provide him with the life he's built in NYC?

I predict he goes to St. Louis, who shakes up their roster bigtime in the summer. 

That's where I'd go, at least - a team that is good but needs that top C. 

I could see Vegas being alluring as well. 

But we all know what's really going to happen, Yzerman is going to do some wizardry and fit him under the cap in Tampa, and they're still going to lose in the 2nd round 

I think Columbus would be deadly with Tavares, but I'm not sure why he'd live in Ohio

I predict he goes to St. Louis, who shakes up their roster bigtime in the summer. 

But we all know what's really going to happen, Yzerman is going to do some wizardry and fit him under the cap in Tampa, and they're still going to lose in the 2nd round 

I think Columbus would be deadly with Tavares, but I'm not sure why he'd live in Ohio

That or Toronto somehow gets him and Doughty while convincing Matthews to take $5M/year

Ok an idea against my better judgement but may actually accomplish all our goals.

Tavares tells Snow he is moving on.  We reach an agreement with Tavares and the NYI for Nick Leddy and the rights to Tavares for ROR, Nylander and Borgen.  This doesn't solve our wing problem, but not a bad deal for the NYI considering they were going to lose Tavares for nothing. 

Because Columbus is actually a really awesome city with a great arena district.  I live a little less than an hour from C-bus and have gone to Sabres games there for years.  The Arena is really nice, the city is pretty awesome and there are plenty of great suburbs to raise a family, if that's something he's considering.  Every game i have been to has been a sell out as well, it has really caught on here.  I guess its not a 'traditional market' but they have a strong fan base.

Ok an idea against my better judgement but may actually accomplish all our goals.

Tavares tells Snow he is moving on.  We reach an agreement with Tavares and the NYI for Nick Leddy and the rights to Tavares for ROR, Nylander and Borgen.  This doesn't solve our wing problem, but not a bad deal for the NYI considering they were going to lose Tavares for nothing. 

Make them toss in one of their 2 first round picks this year and I might do that. 

Because Columbus is actually a really awesome city with a great arena district.  I live a little less than an hour from C-bus and have gone to Sabres games there for years.  The Arena is really nice, the city is pretty awesome and there are plenty of great suburbs to raise a family, if that's something he's considering.  Every game i have been to has been a sell out as well, it has really caught on here.  I guess its not a 'traditional market' but they have a strong fan base.

I don't doubt you, but I'd be surprised if John Tavares cares about any of that stuff. 

My guess is the Tavares spectacle plays out in the same manner as Stamkos. It's going to come down to the wire, speculation will be had, rumours flying this way and that and then he stays with his own team.

On the other hand, I'd love to have JT. Would him coming here have any impact on Eichel being given the C? How would that work in the locker room?

Other than getting to negotiate w/ Tavares for 1 more month than anybody else can, what does Buffalo gain in that situation? Buffalo can't sign him to an 8th year. The Aisles are the only team eligible to do that, and how does Tavares know that he's not going to get shafted by Snow if he agrees to a sign & trade deal?

It would seem to be in Tavares' interest to hit FA & find out what he can get in a 7 year deal from teams that haven't had a fishstick company's mascot for a logo.

I have to believe playing in a great city, for a great coach and as part of a loaded team on the rise will be pretty appealing to JT.

What part of this sounds reasonable? Most players think Buffalo is a bore. Loaded team? Maybe at 2am. Nothing you've spoke of sounds appealing to a UFA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.