Vegas is good enough to win the cup

matter2003

Though nobody expected him to be, Karlsson had played the part of franchise player this year. Point per game, top line center, nearly 40 goals.

Even more amazing, I read their boards in the preseason, and they were mad that he was the pick from Columbus and assumed he would be scratched until injuries hit, because he looked terrible. 

Even more amazing, I read their boards in the preseason, and they were mad that he was the pick from Columbus and assumed he would be scratched until injuries hit, because he looked terrible.

Even looking back at his entire career, there was simply nothing there to indicate he'd be an offensive force. I can't even fault Columbus for not protecting him, honestly. I suspect he settles in more towards the 25-30 goal mark long term, but he's a heck of a player.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This might sound like sour grapes coming from a frustrated Sabres fan, and maybe it is, but, Vegas winning proves the NHL is a f**ed up league.  The expansion rules were way too favorable for them.  They got the best of both worlds, a mixture of youth and experience without the headaches all teams deal with regarding the cap and timing of talent in a tight window. 

Reminds me of a quote from Jurassic Park:

'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox"

Vegas never had to build anything, develop anything, overcome anything; they simply showed up, went shopping and were given a team that had talent to win.  I give them credit for coaching the team, but, if you ask me, the NHL fast forwarded this franchise 5 years+ to the detriment of the integrity and grit required by other teams to become successful.  It would be a colossal mistake to repeat this with Seattle, but, I'm confident the NHL will

Oh, any while I'm telling the kids to get off my lawn, they are also training their fan base to take winning for granted, when we all know franchises ebb and flow -- let's see the commitment in the fan base with years of losing.

Yes, I know,  sour grapes

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

This might sound like sour grapes coming from a frustrated Sabres fan, and maybe it is, but, Vegas winning proves the NHL is a f**ed up league.  The expansion rules were way too favorable for them.  They got the best of both worlds, a mixture of youth and experience without the headaches all teams deal with regarding the cap and timing of talent in a tight window. 

'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox"[/size]

Vegas never had to build anything, develop anything, overcome anything; they simply showed up, went shopping and were given a team that had talent to win.  I give them credit for coaching the team, but, if you ask me, the NHL fast forwarded this franchise 5 years+ to the detriment of the integrity and grit required by other teams to become successful.  It would be a colossal mistake to repeat this with Seattle, but, I'm confident the NHL will

Oh, any while I'm telling the kids to get off my lawn, they are also training their fan base to take winning for granted, when we all know franchises ebb and flow -- let's see the commitment in the fan base with years of losing.

No there is some truth to what you said, but McPhee and his staff had to research the players in every other organization to see who might be available and who would fit their system. This took a great deal of scouting. It wasn’t as easy as “just going shopping.”

No there is some truth to what you said, but McPhee and his staff had to research the players in every other organization to see who might be available and who would fit their system. This took a great deal of scouting. It wasn’t as easy as “just going shopping.”

True but thats what these guys do. Given the same set of rules you could put together a pretty decent team. The league made it very easy for Vegas and the guys who work there.

The Vegas owners paid a big premium for the set up they received ($500 million) and Seattle will be paying even more ($650 million). I think Pegula paid $189 million for the Sabres. I don't blame the league one bit for setting it up so that a brand new franchise is competitive immediately given the amount of money they soaked them for. Splitting it up 30 ways each team was awarded over $16 million and only had to lose a single player. Sure the player was the choice of Vegas, but they paid for the privilege and every team got to exclude at least 10 players (7F-3D-1G or 8F/D-1G, plus all of their prospects and players with less than 2 years experience). They each cash in over $21 million from Seattle for just one player from each teams (sans Vegas) as well.

The expansion rules were way too favorable for them.  They got the best of both worlds, a mixture of youth and experience without the headaches all teams deal with regarding the cap and timing of talent in a tight window.

But they knew what to do with it.  And the other GMs let them. 

It would be a colossal mistake to repeat this with Seattle, but, I'm confident the NHL will

How can they not?  Seattle is paying a premium for their franchise just like Vegas did.  They're going to get the same treatment from the league.  The difference, though (as mentioned by someone else upthread) is that the other GMs saw what Vegas did and won't be so accommodating this time. 

I also think Vegas got lucky to actually get a front office and coaching staff that work well together, and worked with the players selected to get the most out of them.  What coach will Seattle get?  What GM?  Will they be able to hit all homeruns like VGK did?  Will they pick the right goalies?  Will the players they select have good chemistry with each other?  Some of the Knights' success is the draft rules, some was selecting the right front office and coaching staff to make the right moves, but face it, some of it was simply good fortune.

'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox"

Not so sure about that.  I agree other teams not realizing what they had in the players they exposed helped VGK a lot but they had to build an entire team from the ground up and did what any other management would do.  They took the best players exposed and arguably swindled other GMs.  They rallied around low expectations and a tragedy which drew the community together.  This team could have just as easily gone the PHX/ARZ route but they play a fast and motivated while uncomplicated game.

Agreed. McPhee had a great plan and played his fellow GMs panicked. He wasn't afraid to take all the defensemen and stash them in the AHL, either (which I thought was going to backfire just a bit on him in attempts to trade). But I go back to that GMTM thread a few weeks ago.

What would GMTM's VGK roster and coach look like (assuming he'd not been here)? Would he have gone for Cup-winning coach Byslma? Would he have taken Marchessault, or would he have looked at "tough to play against" Panthers instead (ala Pysyk v. Kulikov)? It's all in the eye of the beholder.

(Selfishly, as a Seattle resident, I'll be happy to have a local team that's worth watching in the first few seasons rather than a doormat. It'll also be important to win over the hockey fans who are mostly transplants like me, and not just have us attend the 1 or 2 games when our team comes to town.)

Vegas' skaters are playing well, but Fleury has been standing on his head. He's made some saves that no goalie (well, HUMAN goalie) should be capable of making. Some of his performances have been almost Hasek-like. Almost.  Many a hockey pundit has said that to win the Cup, you need a hot goalie. Fleury is all that AND already has his name on the Cup. That experience will help the rest of the team.

Right now, the Golden Knights can go toe-to-toe with any of the teams still left in the hunt. I would not be at all shocked to see them in the Finals. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brayden McNabb played over 23 min last night (3rd-most on the team) in a closeout game in the conference finals and was on the ice, protecting a 1-goal lead, when the horn blew.

Hudson Fasching was a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs this year.

That trade continues to be a dark-horse contender for "Top-3 Worst GMTM Moves."

That trade continues to be a dark-horse contender for "Top-3 Worst GMTM Moves."

OMG -  it is brutal when you put it this way.

Vegas knows how to spend effectively. 

I think Vegas is paying McNabb $2.5 million this season - vs $3.9 million we paid to Josh Friggin' Gorges and $5.1 million to Bogosian;  between the two players and 9 million dollars in salary they posted a grand total of 3 points, and a Leino-esque zero goals  for the entire season. 

OTOH McNabb already has 2 goals and 5 points in the post-season alone!  

Why? Because Buffalo!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.