Where does Dahlin go in last 4 drafts

Derrico

So if every available player from the last 3 drafts plus this are available he goes 5th?

1 - McDavid

2/3 - Eichel and Matthews

4 - Laine

5 - Dahlin

I know D can be a bit more risky. But looking at teams like Nashville that kill it from the D out. I would love to build around a top end D.

2017 = #1

2016 = #2 (behind Austin, but just a head of Laine)

2015 = #3 (right behind the generational guy and the franchise centre guy)

2014 = #1 (Ekblad would drop to 3rd I think, with Sam staying at #2)

So if every available player from the last 3 drafts plus this are available he goes 5th? 1 - McDavid 2/3 - Eichel and Matthews 4 - Laine 5 - Dahlin I know D can be a bit more risky. But looking at teams like Nashville that kill it from the D out. I would love to build around a top end D.

I think he would go #4, ahead of Laine.  And depending on the team at #3 and their needs maybe #3.

So if every available player from the last 3 drafts plus this are available he goes 5th? 1 - McDavid 2/3 - Eichel and Matthews 4 - Laine 5 - Dahlin I know D can be a bit more risky. But looking at teams like Nashville that kill it from the D out. I would love to build around a top end D.

I would say so, yes. Keep in mind Dahlin will be only the 3rd defensemen selected 1st overall in the last 20 years, and only the 14th ever since the draft began in 1963. So that's 13/55 = 24% of the time the first overall pick is a d-man. We can narrow that down even further because most of those happened earlier in the draft history. A total of 6 d-men have been selected 1st overall since 1990. 6/28 = 21% 

It's hard to say for sure, but for my money,  a Drew Doughty/Duncan Keith #1 minute devouring, puck moving, offense-generating horse who can play half a game is more valuable in today's NHL than a stud #1C.

The D-man has more impact on the game, largely b/c of how much ice time he can get.

Give me a choice between Chara in his prime and McDavid in his prime (when that comes)....I'll take Chara every time.

Dude was a shut down, playoff-game-winning horse.

But because it's so rare, does it not make it more valuable?

A center is the most important part of any team. McDavid, Matthews, and Eichel are 100% of the time going ahead of Dahlin. The only real debate is Laine, who I believe would go ahead of Dahlin simply because offense is sexy, and he is projected to be the next Ovechkin; which he's done a great job of so far

It's hard to say for sure, but for my money,  a Drew Doughty/Duncan Keith #1 minute devouring, puck moving, offense-generating horse who can play half a game is more valuable in today's NHL than a stud #1C.

The D-man has more impact on the game, largely b/c of how much ice time he can get.

Give me a choice between Chara in his prime and McDavid in his prime (when that comes)....I'll take Chara every time.

Dude was a shut down, playoff-game-winning horse.

We're living in banana-land now. Give me a choice between McDavid vs [Any Defenceman] in their prime and I'm taking McDavid, let alone Chara

Edited by WildCard

A center is the most important part of any team. McDavid, Matthews, and Eichel are 100% of the time going ahead of Dahlin. The only real debate is Laine, who I believe would go ahead of Dahlin simply because offense is sexy, and he is projected to be the next Ovechkin; which he's done a great job of so far

We're living in banana-land now. Give me a choice between McDavid vs [Any Defenceman] in their prime and I'm taking McDavid, let alone Chara

Bobby Orr?

He would go behind McD and Jack, and Matthews. There's just as much importance, and less risk, in the center position at the top of the draft. 

I don't mean to imply there's any risk with taking Dahlin himself. 

Wing is far less important than D, though, and Laine, while possessing perhaps the best shot the league has seen, doesn't do enough other hockey stuff to warrant a selection over Dahlin IMO.

2014: #1

2015: #3

2016: #3

2017: #1

Dahlin is not going ahead of a forward with comparable hype.

This, but he’s going #2 in 2016. Winger is much less valuable.

There’s also NO chance the Jets specifically would have taken another winger with Dahlin on the board.

Laine doesn’t have the skating, speed, physical play, or even playmaking of Ovechkin. At least at this stage of his career, he is a complimentary player and not a driver. A world class complimentary player, but he’s basically a shot. An amazing shot, among the league’s best. But you don’t build a team around a Laine. And maybe not even an Ovechkin. The Jets certainly aren’t, they are loaded with other pieces.

I'm taking McDavid over anyone as well. But I think getting that stud D is just as difficult as the stud #1 C.

Crosby.

Edited by Thorny

I have not heard that he is projected to be the next Bobby Orr because that would make him #1 in all of those drafts.

If he is next in line for great Swedish D, ( Lidstrom, Karlsson, Hedman ) that is very, very solid. I would place him ahead of Ekblad and think he will be better.

I would take him behind McDavid, Jack and Auston because of the 200 foot game they need to play. They still have much room to grow in that regard and they could drop due to defensive deficiencies.

I take him ahead of Laine because he can contribute 60 points and play 30 minutes a night while limiting chances for guys like Laine.

Dahlin 1st every year except 2015, Mcdavid goes 1st. One of if not the smoothest skaters I've ever seen. This of course is based on BPA and not factoring in what teams needed what and so forth. Although I do believe for the most part good Gms will take the bpa.

I'm with Eleven on this one.  Bobby Orr.  In the top 4 for all players ever, and best D-man ever.  I know it sounds cliche, but he redefined what a D-man can be.  I don't see McDavid in this club, but who knows? 

Edited by BagBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.