Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Though it's also worth noting that one can fundraise for a candidate without affiliating with that candidate's political party, especially if there are other connections to that specific candidate. An employee's wife would certainly qualify there. 

tenor.gif

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Right. But where'd I see the report that the Pegulas hosted a $2500/plate dinner for her at their Marriott? Can't find it anywhere now - so I infer it was on the Twitter and it's disappeared.

I believe the two price points were $700 and $2700.

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

“Big fund raiser last night at HarborCenter for U.S. Senate candidate Karin Housely of Minnesota, wife of Sabres Coach Phil Housely. Tickets at $1,000 and $2,700 at event hosted by Terry and Kim Pegula and Nick Sinatra.”

I think I realize why any amount of Googling would not yield the Tweet. He misspelled the candidate's last name.

This is a major concern...  makes it even more unlikely Housley would be fired at any point this season no matter where he takes this team.       

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is a major concern...  makes it even more unlikely Housley would be fired at any point this season no matter where he takes this team.       

I'm not sure how big a concern it truly is - but I do know that I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the team's HC is married to an elected official who's running for a US Senate seat and has hitched her star to a divisive political figure like our current POTUS. Just ... it seems likely to complicate rather than simplify matters, as I think you're inferring.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Didn't we just get an entire club devoted to this topic for the very reason of keeping it out of the hockey threads?

I believe the purpose of the club was to isolate purely political conversation. But when it directly intersects with sports, it's allowed on the main board. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I believe the purpose of the club was to isolate purely political conversation. But when it directly intersects with sports, it's allowed on the main board. 

If we haven't already reached that point in this thread, we're getting dangerously close. 

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure how big a concern it truly is - but I do know that I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the team's HC is married to an elected official who's running for US Senate seat and has hitched her star to a divisive political figure like our current POTUS. Just ... it seems likely to complicate rather than simplify matters, as I think you're inferring.

It's probably not a big deal in hockey. 

Now, if this were the NBA, everyone and their mother would have been calling on Phil to be banned from the league forever and picketing outside of his house for months. ?

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Fair. Though it's also worth noting that one can fundraise for a candidate without affiliating with that candidate's political party, especially if there are other connections to that specific candidate. An employee's wife would certainly qualify there. 

That said, the Pegula's are totally Republicans. 

Given all of the "faith" comments, I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption. While there are Democrats who are religious, you don't see them talk out it in public forums nearly as much. Exceptions being Reverends like Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson, etc.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

No it's not.  People do favors for colleagues / employers / etc. all the time.  If I told you some of the candidates whose fundraisers I've attended, just to support the people I work with, you'd be astonished.

It won't affect Housley's future here one bit.  (Rex Ryan wasn't saved by his political activity, either.)

39 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Given all of the "faith" comments, I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption. While there are Democrats who are religious, you don't see them talk out it in public forums nearly as much. Exceptions being Reverends like Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson, etc.

I'm a devout person and not a Republican. We do exist but don't get acknowledged. As Dana Carvey would say "wouldn't be prudent".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

No it's not.  People do favors for colleagues / employers / etc. all the time.  If I told you some of the candidates whose fundraisers I've attended, just to support the people I work with, you'd be astonished.

It won't affect Housley's future here one bit.  (Rex Ryan wasn't saved by his political activity, either.)

I disagree.... this like your boss paying to host a polical event in your name.... actually, that's exactly what it is.    The Sabres are not a political organization.... for the same reason you shouldn't engage in political discussions in the work place,  Pegula has no business mixing politics with his hockey team.      There's a conflict of interest there.  

30 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Depends on the Housleys’ if politics affect Phil’s job, more importantly I am concerned about the distraction and time commitment it might have on Phil.  Focus with this young team is important.  

Exactly, what if Eichel or Dahlin have strong politcal opinions that don't line up with Pegula's?   That right there is reason to ask for a trade because they don't want to be employed by somebody they strongly disagree with politically.    Some people are that devote.

40 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I disagree.... this like your boss paying to host a polical event in your name.... actually, that's exactly what it is.    The Sabres are not a political organization.... for the same reason you shouldn't engage in political discussions in the work place,  Pegula has no business mixing politics with his hockey team.      There's a conflict of interest there.  

This seems overboard. The Sabres haven't hosted anything. The Pegulas have.

41 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Exactly, what if Eichel or Dahlin have strong politcal opinions that don't line up with Pegula's?   That right there is reason to ask for a trade because they don't want to be employed by somebody they strongly disagree with politically.    Some people are that devote.

This, OTOH, seems to get to part of what I don't like about this.

Will an affiliation with lightning rod political candidates help or hurt the franchise win games? I'm damn certain it won't help. And there's a chance it could hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's not going to be an issue, because all 3 are going to be speaking the same political language in the end, anyways: $.

Pegula and Eichel already agreed wholeheartedly on an 80 million dollar mission statement quite recently. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This seems overboard. The Sabres haven't hosted anything. The Pegulas have.

This, OTOH, seems to get to part of what I don't like about this.

Will an affiliation with lightning rod political candidates help or hurt the franchise win games? I'm damn certain it won't help. And there's a chance it could hurt. 

Its not going to help, but if the message is we are part of a big tent and family regardless of our views its fine.  If Housley or TPegs wear it like a badge of honor and carry it with them all the time then yeh that a problem.  Once tried to work for a Hospital Rad department.  They treated staff crappily but wore their Republican anti-union stuff blantantly.  Me was just trying to pick up some extra work.  Techs were miserable and scared, turnover was high... a bad sign regardless of political persuasion.  On the other hand  I have worked with and for Republicans who some of the most stand up people I know.  Again it depends on how TPegs and Housley handle things.

Edited by North Buffalo

Given that the only place I've even heard anything about this whole thing is on this forum I am going to go ahead and say that they are fine.

This place could concoct a problem theory on 16 puppies being rescued from a burning building.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, LTS said:

Given that the only place I've even heard anything about this whole thing is on this forum I am going to go ahead and say that they are fine.

This place could concoct a problem theory on 16 puppies being rescued from a burning building.

it's July, this is what we do.

what kind of puppies?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Ya know what, f### Teddy Bruschi and f### those puppies!

17 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Depends on the Housleys’ if politics affect Phil’s job, more importantly I am concerned about the distraction and time commitment it might have on Phil. 

This, in a nutshell, is the issue.  There could be a conflict of interest here.  In the conflict of interest training I've taken, the guideline they give is this:  Avoid not just a conflict of interest, but even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

13 hours ago, LTS said:

Were they a dangerous breed?  I mean is society really served by saving pit bulls?  Won't somebody think of the bunnies and kittens?

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This, in a nutshell, is the issue.  There could be a conflict of interest here.  In the conflict of interest training I've taken, the guideline they give is this:  Avoid not just a conflict of interest, but even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

I don't see how Karin Housley's career in politics would be a conflict of interest for Housley as a coach. An ethical conflict is generally understood as having some sort of interest in two different people, ventures, businesses, or whatever that are adverse to one another. So, say Housley's wife was taking a minority interest as an owner of the Wild, maybe. 

The fact that Housley's wife has a busy and active career might present a competing demand on his time and attention (which I sorta tend to doubt, tbh), but it's not a conflict.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.