Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

You don’t need PIs.

Shenanigans are only issue if they affect what’s happening on the ice.

Who is hungover? Loafing through drills? Ignoring the whiteboard?

The coaches and trainers are close enough to tell who is influencing who and juggle the room accordingly.

I strongly suspect that a reason Kane is no longer here is his influence on Sam and Jack.

If Sam is a bad influence on Jack, or separate cliques are forming around Ryan and Jack or Risto is refusing to adjust his game or Larry is always moping and complaining, or...

These things will be targeted this season and the central focus will be creating an atmosphere that allows Jack to lead.

Yeap.

If Buffalo is not within shouting distance of 8th, they have to save the season.

After some more changes this Summer and the addition of Dahlin,my eyes will be focused squarely on Phil to finally see improvement.

I doubt you're right.  In one of the profile videos Dahlin said he was given free reign to create.  Sometimes it led to goals, sometimes to big mistakes.  I anticipate Housley will take the same approach, which may mean that the Sabres once again look terrible out of the gate.  If that's what it takes to develop our top prospect, I'm all for it.  By the end of his first season in the Swedish men's league he was making major contributions in the playoffs.

I doubt the Sabres will ice a team as competitive as Frolunda was, which may mean another lost season coming.  Don't be surprised if they give our defensive stud half a season to find his game before much is expected of him.

The reason I brought it up is because I talked to Rob Ray for a while yesterday and asked him....how the hell do they fix this team?

He said besides adding speed, the locker room is shot. He said the losing has taken its toll and they can't shake it. To me, that tells me Housley can't break through with this group.

See my comment in the 2018-19 thread. It is the only answer. Housley should be the right coach for Dahlin. 

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Possible Housley replacement if things go south, especially with all the Swedes in the organization: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=12849&cHash=a27c9b3e9019288e03093bdacabb46ea

Interesting, he was linked to the Sabres as an Assistant Coach Candidate in May. 

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Housley is a dead man walking imo.  His wife making moves in the Republican party I don't think jives with El Pegula.

Dave Tippett would be nice.

What makes you think this? From fracking to the national anthem thing in the NFL, everything points to him being a Republican.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

What makes you think this? From fracking to the national anthem thing in the NFL, everything points to him being a Republican.

I don't think his wife and kids are Republican?  I don't really give a shat either way, but it seems like she's the one calling the shots these days.   

The more important question is wether or not Eichel is a Republican.   We know what kind of pull he has... 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, PASabreFan said:

With an 18-year-old defenseman and Casey, among other kids, patience will be preached. And the folks will accept it, giving Phil until Thanksgving 2019.

And honestly, why wouldn't this take place? After all, we are currently speaking on a heavy dose of youth injection. Mistakes will be made on the ice by the young players themselves, of this I have little doubt. That isn't entirely about the head coach, that's equally a part of the equation to gain experience with the speed of the game, the size of the players they will be facing and other variables. That isn't to say Phil shouldn't be held to account for their preparedness, but let's be candid about the situation, we are now rebuilding the rebuild.

That alone accounts for some time for Phil. And I'm no Phil as coach fan.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Housley is a dead man walking imo.  His wife making moves in the Republican party I don't think jives with El Pegula.

Not a party issue but a commitment issue,  a helluv a distraction.  And she probably needs him by her side for appearances, baby kissing yada yada. Gonna be tough on both of them.  Politics is one of the toughest contact sports ever and often from within ones own party is the hardest.  Maybe time for separate thread in the club forum. But it cuts both ways hockey coaching and politics.  Oof.

Edited by North Buffalo

On 4/29/2018 at 10:17 AM, Jsixspd said:

Well, that sounds like what's needed is a fresh sheet of paper.   Clean out the locker room -  Replace as much of that roster as fiscally possible;  do a Vegas-Lite  

You seriously want to do that?  Trade Dahlin and Eichel.  You can get a bevy of 2nd liners from lots of other teams.  That's basically the Vegas model.

No, I'm not seriously advocating this.  But it's what it would take.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Do you think Pegula isn't Republican???

Dave Tippett?  If we're gonna do that, just bring back Lindy.

I think the team would have to be a tire fire like last season for Housley not to get the full year. Personally, I'm not looking for where they are in the standings, but rather whether they're playing in a way that will lead to more success when the talent is further upgraded. 

15 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think the team would have to be a tire fire like last season for Housley not to get the full year. Personally, I'm not looking for where they are in the standings, but rather whether they're playing in a way that will lead to more success when the talent is further upgraded. 

I think likewise on your team expectations. I will look more at how they are playing energy wise and that over used but nevertheless true how they compete. Standings are, for me, less important. My confidence in Housley is not high at this point. Hope I'm wrong he seems like a nice guy and knows by experience what it takes to play in this league. Can he impart that to others? We'll see.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yes. The Sabres tried to play a certain way early in the year that was dialled back somewhat when it became clear the back end in particular couldn’t handle that system. Beaulieu, Antipin, Gorges, Falk, Tennyson, Lehner and Johnson in particular seemed ill-suited.

Will Dahlin, Pilut, Nelson, Guhle, Hickey and a healthy (yeah, right) Bogosian and McCabe make a difference? Will Hutton and Ullmark?

The room was not good either and Botterill made changes there. And he has tried to add more depth and speed up front.

I think a lot of moves have been made aimed at helping Housley. He needs to show he can take advantage.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yes. The Sabres tried to play a certain way early in the year that was dialled back somewhat when it became clear the back end in particular couldn’t handle that system. Beaulieu, Antipin, Gorges, Falk, Tennyson, Lehner and Johnson in particular seemed ill-suited.

Will Dahlin, Pilut, Nelson, Guhle, Hickey and a healthy (yeah, right) Bogosian and McCabe make a difference? Will Hutton and Ullmark?

The room was not good either and Botterill made changes there. And he has tried to add more depth and speed up front.

I think a lot of moves have been made aimed at helping Housley. He needs to show he can take advantage.

...which may take more than a year to have an effect.  Pilot, Guhle, Hickey, and Thompson may not all be on the big club for another year.  And frankly if they're not ready I don't want them to be.  That said, if HCPH can get the team playing his dynamic style without all the youth, it should only improve as time goes on and new players crack into the lineup.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.