Housley Should Have Until End of December

CallawaySabres

Thanks to Hoss for helping me find it. 12-22 pregame before Anaheim. Talking about how Carlyle is big on details and likes to get his matchups. Housley basically waves it off and says they aren't going to do that. 

3:00ish 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-pregame-122218/t-277437090/c-64223703

I think what got me is that Housley acknowledges that Carlyle is studious about details and line matching, but his response is "we're going to roll 4."

The line change is super important and this is Housley basically saying he doesn't care. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Thanks to Hoss for helping me find it. 12-22 pregame before Anaheim. Talking about how Carlyle is big on details and likes to get his matchups. Housley basically waves it off and says they aren't going to do that. 

3:00ish 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-pregame-122218/t-277437090/c-64223703

I think what got me is that Housley acknowledges that Carlyle is studious about details and line matching, but his response is "we're going to roll 4."

The line change is super important and this is Housley basically saying he doesn't care. 

He also doesn't care about our powerplay. 

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Having defended Howie yesterday, I will also note that the PP is a freaking disaster right now, and that he needs to bear some of the blame for that.

He's pretty stubborn, innit? You know what's coming. The one big wrinkle was throwing it over to Dahlin on the right side for some one-timers. He didn't fill the net, so we haven't seen it since.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

He's pretty stubborn, innit? You know what's coming. The one big wrinkle was throwing it over to Dahlin on the right side for some one-timers. He didn't fill the net, so we haven't seen it since. 

Y'know, I like having Jack and Dahlin on the opposite half-walls, and I like Risto there to blast away from the point and Reino behind the net and Skinner below the dots for putbacks -- but for whatever reason the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Y'know, I like having Jack and Dahlin on the opposite half-walls, and I like Risto there to blast away from the point and Reino behind the net and Skinner below the dots for putbacks -- but for whatever reason the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Kelly Hrudey was saying on the Canadian broadcast yesterday that not many teams utilize the "behind the net" player as it eliminates the guy from too much of the play. Says it's an ineffective strategy and that the Wild are the only team he knows that successfully employs it. 

Bob Woods is on the Wild, for what it's worth. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right, but not behind the net.

Ok. My wording was bad. Hrudey's point still remains spot on. Our PP sucks. And for the record, Reinhart frequently has the puck below the goal line, and that is what I should have typed to begin with.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 11:05 AM, nfreeman said:

Next season, after Dahlin has undergone a full NHL off-season strength & conditioning program, will be right on board with you on having Dahlin on the right half wall.  But right now, Dahlin doesn't have enough oomp (IMHO) for him to be effective there.

Not a fan of Skinner in the high slot, he can't distribute the puck well enough from that spot.  

Those two roles need to be filled more effectively to get better puck movement, again, IMHO.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, nfreeman said:

Big body in front of the net. Reinhart moves around the right areas but doesn't get the dirty job done. More of those Jack and Dahlin shots need to be better screened. 

Aside from that, more motion and movement. What we do is kind of predictable. A better face off man wouldn't hurt either. When O'Reilly was on our PP we won a lot of attack zone draws and that sets you up right away. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big body in front of the net. Reinhart moves around the right areas but doesn't get the dirty job done. More of those Jack and Dahlin shots need to be better screened. 

Aside from that, more motion and movement. What we do is kind of predictable. A better face off man wouldn't hurt either. When O'Reilly was on our PP we won a lot of attack zone draws and that sets you up right away. 

Reinhart's not going to set up in front of Eichel's PP 1 timers.  Won't for Ristolainen either.  When he can, he does get in front of Dahlin's shots.

And, yeah, the rest seems obvious how to improve, but considering it never does, guess it ain't obvious.

I like the style of game Phil tries to play, I like the way he publicly supports his players, I like the way he distributes ice time (which is not the same as player deployment) and I like the development of our young players.

Not fond of the fact that he seems to have settled into preferred patterns of player deployment that he sticks with regardless of opponent and success. He seems to be a coach who focuses on strategy and communication, as opposed to tactics or motivation.

I think he and Botterill have a system they believe in and he is married to that, for good or ill and Botterill will stick with Housley and the system until he believes the talent in the organization is underachieving, or that Housley has lost the team - neither of which appears to be happening.

I think the team’s record is commensurate with its talent level. People tend to forget we had 62 points last year.

Very interested in seeing how we respond to this adversity.

What i dont like with Phil is his passive coaching, then again im not coach, he is.

I miss active coaching in a way that you split formations depening on how the players perform, not always but sometimes i see
that he keeps playing same formations without any change, eventhough you can see that some players are way more effective in a certain game
than others. Same with SO, i want to see them who has been on fire in the game on the SO, not the same players every single SO.

Also lack of timeouts, ive never seen Phil take a timeout in the 2nd period for example, correct me if im wrong. That is active coaching to me aswell,
you see something is wrong, take a short break and tell the players to shape the fk up. 

Phil to me is a very passive coach and i do not like it.

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like the style of game Phil tries to play, I like the way he publicly supports his players, I like the way he distributes ice time (which is not the same as player deployment) and I like the development of our young players.

Not fond of the fact that he seems to have settled into preferred patterns of player deployment that he sticks with regardless of opponent and success. He seems to be a coach who focuses on strategy and communication, as opposed to tactics or motivation.

I think he and Botterill have a system they believe in and he is married to that, for good or ill and Botterill will stick with Housley and the system until he believes the talent in the organization is underachieving, or that Housley has lost the team - neither of which appears to be happening.

I think the team’s record is commensurate with its talent level. People tend to forget we had 62 points last year.

Very interested in seeing how we respond to this adversity.

To the bolded, that's not say this is last year's team. Wasn't there about a 50% turnover for the second straight year?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like the style of game Phil tries to play,

I do too, but there's a problem at this stage. It's an offensive system based on attack and possession in the opponent's zone. Your best D in that game is a good O. In it, you will give up odd man rushes and some goals against. It's part of how that works. You don't win 1-0, you win 6-5. If you're going to play that sort of game, you have to score more simple as that. Higher shot totals are useless. 

So the system might work, but not until there is more talent up front. 

Given JBot's background, I think he will wait for that and not make a move back towards a more defensive game with a veteran coach or old school philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.