Dahlin going to be a Sabre

sweetlou

I totally get the scepticism, but it’s nice to remember the last highly touted pick we had is turning out pretty darn good, and he’s likely only scratched the surface. Forget the term generational, Eichel is living up to his billing as a franchise C.

He’s at least one recent first rounder that hasn’t let us down.

If your point is more than it hasn’t translated to wins....I’ve got nothin :P

That is the only point that matters, so you're right.  You got nuthin. :beer:

Dahlin was not on the roster released over the weekend for Team Sweden.

Lawrence Pilut and Larry are listed

Johan Larsson, is the worst player on there by a mile.  He had to be a fill in for a fill in for a fill in. 

A Rasmus article worth a read from Gare Joyce

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/big-read-rasmus-dahlin/

Probably the best hockey writing I've read in a while.  It gives a full detailed report, and it's awesome that this is our co franchise face with Eichel.  Now if Ullmark can just become a better starter than Lehner!

That was a good read. This kids going to be special. I still can't believe our luck as an organization and as fans. Strap yourselves in boys and girls.

Always liked Weber as well. Just a good team mate and seems like a good person.

Edited by bunomatic

Button on Dahlin back in March

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/button-nobody-is-even-close-to-rasmus-dahlin-in-this-draft-1.1015705

- Nobody even close, anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. Reiterates this a ton

- Could be an easy transition; the NHL has more order to it than the SHL, so he will expect people to be there and they actually will be, so with that it could be an easier transition. Don't expect him to struggle like Hedman, it's a different league now and players are more prepared to jump in to the NHL right away

- Rasmus compared to Karlsson at the same age: Rasmus is way more physically developed. I don't see a similarity between Dahlin and Karlsson. I see a similarity between Dahlin and Hedman (size and physicality)

- Lottery: Hates tanking, likes lottery because it discourages this.

From what I have heard and watched (very little of either), but maybe, just maybe, this was the best year for the Sabres to win the lottery of 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Really, I mean it.  Second in 2014 landed a first line RW (starting to look that way).  Second in 2015 landed the franchise centre every cup (first cusp, hey ho) contender needs.  2016 ... lucked into what is likely a key piece at #8.  And winning the lotto when what looks to be a franchise #1 D is available, which many cup winners don't actually have.  He is not the next Bobby Orr, so Gramps keep looking, but maybe you take a few years off on that search.  He very well could be the next Potvin and we all know how he turned out.  Key piece and captain of the 4 in a row cup champ Islander teams.

I think you mean 2017 landed a key piece. 2016 landed us a player who we have a lot of questions about. Speaking of Nylander, when he plays against his age group, he does look great. I am not sure the disconnect from that to the AHL but I wonder how much his injury impacted it. He may just need confidence. Hard to say. 

They do show some of his defensive plays as well in this video

Edited by Skurk Liger

He's legit, can't miss. He's not generational, but he's the best defensive prospect at least since Victor Hedman and Drew Doughty.

Every single scouting report I have read every interview regarding him says he is a generational talent

From what i can see he is definitely that

I think you mean 2017 landed a key piece. 2016 landed us a player who we have a lot of questions about. Speaking of Nylander, when he plays against his age group, he does look great. I am not sure the disconnect from that to the AHL but I wonder how much his injury impacted it. He may just need confidence. Hard to say. 

They do show some of his defensive plays as well in this video

There could be a very lengthy lowlights film made from Nylander's WJC tournament as well. He gave Belarus their goal on a platter in the opening game & pretty much disappeared in the medal rounds. He had many other poor plays & decisions as well.

Still hoping he makes it, but not particularly hooeful.

Btw, he does speak pretty good English.

Yeah, the Swedish journalist on WGR said something about how he had to practice his English, but then I watched that and didn't see the problem.

There could be a very lengthy lowlights film made from Nylander's WJC tournament as well. He gave Belarus their goal on a platter in the opening game & pretty much disappeared in the medal rounds. He had many other poor plays & decisions as well.

Still hoping he makes it, but not particularly hooeful.

That pass @3:43 as an outlet to Jack :drool:

Shhh you'll hurt Yakupovs feelings

This post made me curious.  Alex Daigle was always the poster boy for blown 1st overall picks.  Looking how things have gone so far, wow, Yakupov has a long way to go if he even want to come close to matching Daigle's career.

Can someone summarize that interview, if they have a minute?

I apologize for the rough translation:

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?

See the løveli lakes

The wøndërful telephøne system

And mäni interesting furry animals

Including the majestik møøse

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials øn the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law -an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.