Dahlin going to be a Sabre

sweetlou

We've is dead inside and can't bring himself to get excited about anything until it's proven on NHL ice.

He has Swedish Fatigue from watching Nylander who after not looking out of place for his three games with the Sabres has decided to take it to a whole new level of suckatude upon returning to Rochester.

I found a cookbook on how to prepare crow as he is on his way to bust status.

I'll be interested to see how he is as an actual defenseman. He's certainly a good skater with a nose for the net. He can lug the puck.

On a more defence-based note: this kid can hit already. He’s going to be a freaking beast at age 24. A beast.

Pretty well sums up my thoughts.

We got Sam and the frnachise's fortunes didn't change. We got Jack and the franchise's fortunes didn't change.  Now we'll have Dahlin.  This is so closely mirroring what went on in Edmonton.  It's hard for me to feel the hope that others are feeling right now.

Fair enough, but there’s a key difference: Oilers got another forward and we got Dahlin.

Duda, you mentioned earlier your comparison to the Leafs. You forgot Kadri and that they had depth like Komorov and some late rd successes like Brown. They run 4 lines and we had 1.5.

Basically our problem last season was depth. Dahlin helps there significantly and maybe Pilut. Now Jbot needs to fix th forwards.

There was an interview with a Swedish journalist who covers Frolunda on Sports Talk Sunday on GR, I'd suggest everyone go listen to it. He talks a little about his defensive capabilities, and mentioned that the kid "can hit like a truck". Every report that can stop gushing about his ridiculous offensive talent for a paragraph or two notes that he is supposed to be a tremendous two-way defensemen. If my two-way defenseman can play like that in the offensive zone...

EDIT: Sports Talk Sunday, not Saturday, my bad. As penance, here is the link: http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-29-shl-correspondent-patrik-bexell-talks-rasmus-dahlin-sports-talk-sunday

Edited by sabills

There was an interview with a Swedish journalist who covers Frolunda on Sports Talk Sunday on GR, I'd suggest everyone go listen to it. He talks a little about his defensive capabilities, and mentioned that the kid "can hit like a truck". Every report that can stop gushing about his ridiculous offensive talent for a paragraph or two notes that he is supposed to be a tremendous two-way defensemen. If my two-way defenseman can play like that in the offensive zone...

EDIT: Sports Talk Sunday, not Saturday, my bad. As penance, here is the link: http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/04-29-shl-correspondent-patrik-bexell-talks-rasmus-dahlin-sports-talk-sunday

It moved.

We've is dead inside and can't bring himself to get excited about anything until it's proven on NHL ice.

Unfortunately, this is more true than not. Blame every 1st round pick we were supposed to be excited about since Pierre Turgeon. The emotional budget is in the red.

Unfortunately, this is more true than not. Blame every 1st round pick we were supposed to be excited about since Pierre Turgeon. The emotional budget is in the red.

You gotta let that stuff go man. Scouting is so much better now. Picking a clunker at #1 is basically impossible. 

In listening to the one feature on Dahlin it said he was given free reign to create by the coach.  Sometimes it led to amazing plays, sometimes to big mistakes.  After seeing a year of Housley's coaching, I can see him trying the same method.  So early in the season, I can see Dahlin with several goals and a crazy negative +/- rating.  Hopefully he can balance the defense with the offensive creativity.  I expect he'll be out with the top two lines most of the time, so hopefully a back-checking ROR or Eichel or Reino will be able to cover his defensive lapses. 

It will be interesting to see how Jack, who himself has largely been given free reign and treated as a wunderkind, will deal with having potentially an even greater hockey talent on the ice at the same time.  Will he willingly backcheck for Dahlin, even if it means Dahlin gets more of the spotlight?  I think the answer will be yes; he seems to get getting to the point that he wants team success over personal accomplishment, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out as the rubber hits the road. 

I'm going to assume no, because if he was we already would have heard all about it. 

EDIT: I am apparently wrong, playing in the World Juniors this year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships_rosters#_Sweden

Those are the rosters for the tournament that was held in Buffalo last winter.

I can't find Sweden's roster for the tournament that starts this week.

You gotta let that stuff go man. Scouting is so much better now. Picking a clunker at #1 is basically impossible.

Shhh you'll hurt Yakupovs feelings

Why does any player have to 'prepare' for the draft? Really, what is there to do? Maybe get fitted for a new suit? Dark could help him out.

I believe he said he was preparing for the draft combine but i could be wrong. Thought I read it somewhere

I totally get the scepticism, but it’s nice to remember the last highly touted pick we had is turning out pretty darn good, and he’s likely only scratched the surface. Forget the term generational, Eichel is living up to his billing as a franchise C.

He’s at least one recent first rounder that hasn’t let us down.

If your point is more than it hasn’t translated to wins....I’ve got nothin :p

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.