2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

Orpik only has one year left on his deal. Would anyone be interested in taking him with Grubauer to reduce the price of getting a goalie? Is it worth the risk that Housley actually uses him and relies on him, not recognizing the reason he was brought in, to the detriment of our defense day in and day out?

Orpik only has one year left on his deal. Would anyone be interested in taking him with Grubauer to reduce the price of getting a goalie? Is it worth the risk that Housley actually uses him and relies on him, not recognizing the reason he was brought in, to the detriment of our defense day in and day out?

I would do that.  I don't think he would be used any more than the 6/7 that Orpik is at this point.

Yes, and it's a good use of our extra cap space this summer.

I mentioned this idea about 2 weeks ago :)

I was thinking about starting a thread of this, but it fits here just as well; who are the potential available bargain players?  What I mean are who are the guys, like LV found in Karlsson and Colin Miller, who are young established NHL players but just need an opportunity to show they can do more then their current team has them slotted.  JT Miller also broke out this year with nearly 60 pts for the Rags and Bolts.  Back in the day Briere did it in Buffalo.  Palmieri busted out after being acquired by the Devils.  Even 25 year old Taylor Hall took his game to another level this season.

I actually think we have one such guy in ERod.  However there are breakout candidates every year. They are usually 24-26 have a couple of NHL seasons under their belts and are stuck on the 3rd/4th forward lines or 3rd D pair. Jbot needs to find a couple.  One D and maybe 1 or 2 wingers that can be had for cheap prices but are ready to breakout.  I've mentioned Rieder before.    Any ideas?  Bryan Rust? I think Riley Sheahan is a great candidate.  How about a Colton Sissons?

Mrazek is no better than Lehner so why trade?

Maybe Grubauer is.

The others should be cheaper, but they arent better.

I’m terrified this team will be better but our goalies won’t let us show it.

I wonder if Lehner would take a pay cut to stay, because he’s not getting paid elsewhere.

hate to say it but...chances are good Lehner will be back if only because there is no one else available. Not so sure Ullmark is ready and considering what we paid for Lehner we really just can't let him walk for nothing

IF Lehner is back, it isn't off a tendered offer. He is not worth that.

Gut feel is, he's history.

I would do that in a second, which makes me think it’ll cost more.

Maybe, but the deal probably gets done one for one if Buffalo trades a 2019 2nd Rounder. If they add Orpik to the deal and take a 3rd instead, that takes their projected salary cap space from 13 Million to 18.5 Million and would allow them to re-sign John Carlson.

IF Lehner is back, it isn't off a tendered offer. He is not worth that.

Gut feel is, he's history.

Agreed I have a feeling he is one of the biggest reasons for dysfunction in the locker room.

Maybe, but the deal probably gets done one for one if Buffalo trades a 2019 2nd Rounder. If they add Orpik to the deal and take a 3rd instead, that takes their projected salary cap space from 13 Million to 18.5 Million and would allow them to re-sign John Carlson.

Agreed I have a feeling he is one of the biggest reasons for dysfunction in the locker room.

Interesting. I kinda think that if DC trades Grubauer, it will be at the draft, and if so they will get a 2018 2nd or better for him — but you could certainly be right.

And I agree that it’s likely that they want Lehner gone as part of the push to improve team attitude.

And I agree that it’s likely that they want Lehner gone as part of the push to improve team attitude.

Just as importantly, the push to improve goaltending. I know there were so many other problems, but in the cold light of day show many points did the dynamic duo of Lehner and Johnson cost this team this past season?

Just as importantly, the push to improve goaltending. I know there were so many other problems, but in the cold light of day show many points did the dynamic duo of Lehner and Johnson cost this team this past season?

I don't think any goalie in the league is more adept at recovering the puck behind the net and immediately passing it to an opposing player (when a teammate could have gained possession without his "help").  Lehner was beyond awful in this respect.

Would have helped if the team scored goals. The goaltending needs to improve, but so does the PP, second, third and fourth line scoring, getting scoring from the defense and better defensive play.

Ivan thinks the Sabres should attempt to trade for another Swedish defenseman who can help mentor Rasmus Dahlin transition into the NHL.  Jonas Brodin would be my first pick; Lyle Richardson wrote a piece where he mentions that the Wild might have to make some tough choices this off season; yes, I know it's on the internet but it's all I have to go on.  I don't know if the Wild would deal with us after the Foligno and Ennis trade but maybe a package starting with Hudson Fasching, a Minnesota boy, would entice them.

Ivan thinks the Sabres should attempt to trade for another Swedish defenseman who can help mentor Rasmus Dahlin transition into the NHL.  Jonas Brodin would be my first pick; Lyle Richardson wrote a piece where he mentions that the Wild might have to make some tough choices this off season; yes, I know it's on the internet but it's all I have to go on.  I don't know if the Wild would deal with us after the Foligno and Ennis trade but maybe a package starting with Hudson Fasching, a Minnesota boy, would entice them.

I don't think Hudson is even an NHL player on any team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.