2018-19 Team

Sabre1974

I can’t really say anyone is setting up to try and get the best odds though. You need a team trying to lose to trade those contracts to.

It isn't summer. Those trades happen in summer. 

Jack Hughes btw, 62points in 32 games as a 16 year old on the USDP u18 team. 

as we've seen with many teams (including the Sabres) goaltending is a major issue and there just isn;t any hope in sight. I am worried already for next season who will play goal? Toronto got so lucky getting a great young goalie in Anderson but there is nobody else and not sure what the answer is. Kinda wonderif we'll see Lehner back for another shot

I'm not sure it makes sense in terms of the minutes he eats against top lines and his faceoff wins. And is his contract tradeable? Do other teams want to take it on?

His contract is completely tradeable. One of the better ones Murray signed because his age when it was signed and how front loaded it is coupled with no trade clauses or restrictions on moving him.

It's a $52.5 million contract that has already had $20 million paid out in just 2 years and if we waited for July 2nd to move him another $7.5 million will be paid out.

That said I'd prefer to keep him unless we get a younger center in return or a defenseman on par with Scandella or Ristolainen with plenty of term remaining.

Svechnikov* - Eichel - Okposo

Perron^ - O’Reilly - Reinhart

Sheahan** - Mittelstadt - Baptiste

Wilson - Rodrigues - Pominville

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Someone help me

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Bernier^

* - Draft

^ - UFA

** - Trade

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Someone help me

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Bernier^

* - Draft

^ - UFA

** - Trade

Oh yeah, we need like 3 of those Perron/Shehean adds. Throw Riley Nash in there too. We need to keep the Pouliots and Griffiths far far away. 

As far as your second pairing RHD, that would be the Dallas UFA whose name is blanking. Pateryn I think. He and Scandella would be a legitimately good shutdown pair IMO. And then we need to look at blasting McCabe and Bogosian into the sun with some other additions :lol: oh boy our roster sucks

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Someone help me

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Bernier^

* - Draft

^ - UFA

** - Trade

Better.

Oh yeah, we need like 3 of those Perron/Shehean adds. Throw Riley Nash in there too. We need to keep the Pouliots and Griffiths far far away. 

As far as your second pairing RHD, that would be the Dallas UFA whose name is blanking. Pateryn I think. He and Scandella would be a legitimately good shutdown pair IMO. And then we need to look at blasting McCabe and Bogosian into the sun with some other additions :lol: oh boy our roster sucks

Dude I legit had Pateryn pencilled in at first, then removed him because I wasn’t sure it’d be a feasible/adequate add. You know better than me so let’s put him in there.

And anyone who reads my posts knows I’m probably only second to True in my anti-Bogo stance, and I’ll be livid if he starts the year in a top 4 roll, but I can’t see him not starting game 1 at least on the bottom pair. Assuming health to start the year.....crap.

...we’ll need someone else to start the year on the third pair right side.

Notable in the posted lineup is the team would be moving on from: Girgensons, Josefson, Larsson, Nolan, Pouliot, Falk, Gorges, Lehner, and Johnson. Keep Beaulieu as the 7th man.

If Botterill can bring in low-key, fresh faced role players unaccustomed to lowered expectations as replacements for those players, I won’t rule out a .500 base-level expectation. The goal needs to be to compete for a playoff spot at least into March.

At least we wouldn’t be counting on Nylander to fill a key role, or guys like Bailey, Fasching, Griffith, or Smith to seize a spot. Let them battle it out for callups.

The fly in the ointment I see as the most pressing concern is goaltending. The AHL playoffs have been a small sample size but it’s tough not to be concerned with Ullmark. But I think Bernier would be serviceable. Much more so than a Johnson.

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Someone help me

Guhle - Bogosian

Ullmark

Bernier^

* - Draft

^ - UFA

** - Trade

Please stab me in the face if that's what our blue line looks like.

ROR - Eichel - Baptiste

speedy checker- Tavares - Reinhart 

Calvert - Riley Nash - Wilson

Mittelstadt - Rodrigues - Okposo

Scandella - Pateryn

Enstrom (short, cheap deal) - Ristolainen

Guhle - Dahlin

Nelson, McCabe extras

Bernier 

Ullmark

###### the cap!

First two lines, good luck. Third line, eat the dirty minutes. Nash has done a great job at that this season. Fourth line, specialized easy minutes. 

Top pairing, eat the dirty minutes. Second line, be a rock solid second pair. Third line, sheltered offensive minutes.

PP1: 

Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Risto, KO

PP2:
Tavares, Mitts, Dahlin, ERod, Guhle

This is pretty poor work by me, but I just wanted to see what it tasted like after tonight, and it tasted so good

Edited by Randall Flagg

I don't think that is fair.  Look what Jbot inherited.  Huge contracts to Bogo, Moulson, ROR, KO, Gorges, plus a pipeline devoid of top end talent despite the tank especially on D.  He is really starting from scratch.  

I will say this, the franchise needs to be substantially better next season.  Hockey 500.

Don't forget Pommers as well.  JBOT inherited a nightmare.  KO may be a good guy, but his contract is our biggest liability based on how many years that are left.  I would love to see a deal where it can be purged.  Next season is tough because they are still in cap jail.  Hopefully a buyout can happen as well

ROR - Eichel - Baptiste

speedy checker- Tavares - Reinhart 

Calvert - Riley Nash - Wilson

Mittelstadt - Rodrigues - Okposo

Scandella - Pateryn

Enstrom (short, cheap deal) - Ristolainen

Guhle - Dahlin

Nelson, McCabe extras

Bernier 

Ullmark

###### the cap!

First two lines, good luck. Third line, eat the dirty minutes. Nash has done a great job at that this season. Fourth line, specialized easy minutes. 

Top pairing, eat the dirty minutes. Second line, be a rock solid second pair. Third line, sheltered offensive minutes.

PP1: 

Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Risto, KO

PP2:

Tavares, Mitts, Dahlin, ERod, Guhle

This is pretty poor work by me, but I just wanted to see what it tasted like after tonight, and it tasted so good

How about instead of Tavares, we get Karlsson? Mentor for young Rasmus. Our D would be legit.

Ivan's Plan:

1.)  Trade ROR for a defenseman like a Hanifan (frees up money)

2.)  Trade Risto for a you forward who can skate and has a winner's pedigree

3.)  Try to move Okopso  & Bogo to free up money 

4.)  Go hard after Tavares

5.)  Try to trade Nylander for Julovei ( both seem to need a change I scenery)

​Na Zdrowie!!!

Edited by IvanPutski

I'm unwilling to trade Risto

Fully agree. As the top guy on your second pair, he will be a freakin’ beast. It’s really amazing how fortunate this organization is this morning to win the Rasmus Dahlin sweekpstakes. He not only fills a dire need but he’s “generational” or elite whatever you want to call it. We truly won the lottery last night.

Go Sabres!

Don't forget Pommers as well.  JBOT inherited a nightmare. 

JBot traded for Pommer.  He didn't inherit him.

I'm unwilling to trade Risto

I don't think there will be a need to any longer.  He'll be on a 2nd pair and likely look good there.

Willing to hold onto Nylander unless he is included in a trade to get top 2 defenseman.

Could we start next year with D of...

Scandella- Dahlin

McCabe- Risto

Guhle- Nelson

Maybe JBotts concentrates on getting a solid goalie to split time with Ulmark and finding some speedy forwards!

What we have now:

Okposo Eichel Girgensons

Reinhart O’Reilly Wilson

Pominville Mittelstadt Rodrigues

Baptiste Larsson O’Regan

Bailey Criscuolo Nylander

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Bogosian

Beaulieu Antipin

Guhle Tennyson

Lehner

Ullmark

Johansen

What I’d realistically like to see failing a core player trade.

Xxxx Eichel Xxxx

Reinhart O’Reilly Wilson

Okposo Mittelstadt Girgensons

Baptiste Rodrigues Bailey

Xxx

Xxxx Ristolainen

Scandella Dahlin

McCabe Bogosian

Guhle Nelson

Xxxx

Ullmark

I have no problem giving a kid a shot on one of Jack’s wings, but I want a quick veteran better than Pominville on the other side and a fast, gritty vet who can win face offs as the 13th forward.

A capable NHL defenceman to play with Risto or Dahlin would be amazing, but I fear we don’t have the ammunition it will take.

A middling NHL goalie is essential.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.