Tailored Suits in Buffalo

darksabre

Glad it worked out for you !

I appreciate the tip on Get Dressed though. When I'm on a little more generous timeline I am definitely going to check them out. I bet I can probably get an even better suit there for an even better price, but I can't do wait and see right now for sizing. With the way I have to mix and match pants and jackets they might not work for me anyway. But I like the concept a lot. 

Going with Riverside. Got a Ralph Lauren coming in next week and their April sale is $100 off. Tailoring free and in house. $357 total for a nice suit that I should have just in time for the first wedding on the 5th since only the pants are going to need alteration.

Good call.

My issue also is the vest. I need a 3 piece suit and if I rent or buy the vest will be crappy.

No, it's possible to do this well.  I have two three-pieces, and they both were custom made, but I know plenty of guys with good three-piece suits that didn't go that route.

I appreciate the tip on Get Dressed though. When I'm on a little more generous timeline I am definitely going to check them out. I bet I can probably get an even better suit there for an even better price, but I can't do wait and see right now for sizing. With the way I have to mix and match pants and jackets they might not work for me anyway. But I like the concept a lot. 

You are most welcome. When you have more time to play with, def check them out. FYI, the owner is very creative/suggestive when it comes to mixing and matching stuff. My experience is that he has a keen eye & ear in terms of what you are looking for.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is an all wool, 150 thread count suit good or no?

Higher the tread count the thinner the thread is. 150 won't last as long as 120. But it may look a bit more dapper. It's personal preference at that point.

This has nothing to do with suits, but dress shoes.   Where can you find a good selection of wide dress shoes?  Up to now, I've just shopped online,  but I have some new orthotics that won't fit in pretty much anything I'm trying.  I've tried some chain stores near me (Charlotte, NC), but no luck.  Anyone else with a similar problem?

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Is an all wool, 150 thread count suit good or no?

What ubkev said on the thread count.  As far as 100% wool, in Buffalo you really shouldn't buy anything else unless you've got money to burn and want to have a seersucker suit for summertime.  Don't go for a wool/synthetic blend.

34 minutes ago, chileanseabass said:

This has nothing to do with suits, but dress shoes.   Where can you find a good selection of wide dress shoes?  Up to now, I've just shopped online,  but I have some new orthotics that won't fit in pretty much anything I'm trying.  I've tried some chain stores near me (Charlotte, NC), but no luck.  Anyone else with a similar problem?

GH Bass used to have wide dress shoe options but idk if they still do. 

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What ubkev said on the thread count.  As far as 100% wool, in Buffalo you really shouldn't buy anything else unless you've got money to burn and want to have a seersucker suit for summertime.  Don't go for a wool/synthetic blend.

Wool is ok even in a buffalo summer?

1 hour ago, chileanseabass said:

Hmmm...how long are you on your feet? I'm standing and mostly walking for 6.5 hours everyday and my go to are Bostonian's. I'm pretty sure they're owned by Clark's. Although, Allen Edmonds does make some damn fine looking and comfortable shoes as well, they are bloody expensive!

And you're right. Men's dress shoes selection at department stores and chain shoe stores sucks here too.

2 hours ago, chileanseabass said:

49 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Hmmm...how long are you on your feet? I'm standing and mostly walking for 6.5 hours everyday and my go to are Bostonian's. I'm pretty sure they're owned by Clark's. Although, Allen Edmonds does make some damn fine looking and comfortable shoes as well, they are bloody expensive!

And you're right. Men's dress shoes selection at department stores and chain shoe stores sucks here too.

Chain store selection sucks for the most part.  Go find a good shoe retailer.  Charlotte is a pretty big city.  They should have at least one.  There are plenty of brands between Clark's and Allen Edmonds that offer something that will fit you.  Get professionally sized.  You might have to order something in, but a good retailer will order proper fitting shoes for you.

I've become a fan of Johnston and Murphy.  IMO they are a step up from Clark's, but much closer in pricing to Clark's than AE.

Edited by Weave

I not a huge suit guy, but I have bought 4 of them in the past 10 years or so.

I wanted something very "light weight" for a wedding last summer, and of all the places I went to (including some you asked about) the most comfortable one I tried on was from a place at the Outlet mall in Niagara Falls called "Sarar"

They don't do custom tayloring on site, but they can give you a list of some local places they would suggest.  If you really can't find anything else you like, its just another thought.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Chain store selection sucks for the most part.  Go find a good shoe retailer.  Charlotte is a pretty big city.  They should have at least one.  There are plenty of brands between Clark's and Allen Edmonds that offer something that will fit you.  Get professionally sized.  You might have to order something in, but a good retailer will order proper fitting shoes for you.

I've become a fan of Johnston and Murphy.  IMO they are a step up from Clark's, but much closer in pricing to Clark's than AE.

Thanks for the heads up Weave

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I don't wear wides even though I do wear insoles, but I do believe that Johnston and Murphy offer quite a few varieties of wides online. I, too, have become a fan, and it's rare that I order elsewhere at this point.

(TIp:  If ordering J&M online, consider a half size above what you would normally buy.)

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.