Tailored Suits in Buffalo

darksabre

So, I have a couple weddings coming up, one on May 5th and the other sometime in June. I need a new suit. 

I can't buy off the department store rack. That stuff doesn't fit me and frankly the material quality always seems poor for the price.

I wasn't super happy with the last pair of suits I bought from Men's Wearhouse. I didn't like the tailoring process, although the materials were in line with the price.

My brother has had good luck with Jos A Bank, but I'm wary of the chain stores. I would still go to one I guess, but it's not my first choice.

A local operation would be nice, but I don't know if I can afford a real tailor. I feel like the best I can do on a suit is like $400 and I'd need to really like it.

Anyone here have experience with Bureau downtown? 

Or the New York Store in Lancaster?

Or those italian guys, Uomo da Milano, at the Galleria? 

Some other hidden gem? 

Should I just kill a guy and take his suit? 

So, I have a couple weddings coming up, one on May 5th and the other sometime in June. I need a new suit. 

I can't buy off the department store rack. That stuff doesn't fit me and frankly the material quality always seems poor for the price.

I wasn't super happy with the last pair of suits I bought from Men's Wearhouse. I didn't like the tailoring process, although the materials were in line with the price.

My brother has had good luck with Jos A Bank, but I'm wary of the chain stores. I would still go to one I guess, but it's not my first choice.

A local operation would be nice, but I don't know if I can afford a real tailor. I feel like the best I can do on a suit is like $400 and I'd need to really like it.

Anyone here have experience with Bureau downtown? 

Or the New York Store in Lancaster?

Or those italian guys, Uomo da Milano, at the Galleria? 

Some other hidden gem? 

Should I just kill a guy and take his suit?

The last choice seems to be your best option. ;)

Would ask 11 for advice. He is up on where the good shops are & when they tend to have sales.

Not sure if it's still open, but back in the day Riverside Mens Wear had good prices & a pretty wide line. (Probably have been closed for 20 years, but they WERE good. :p)

Not sure if it's still open, but back in the day Riverside Mens Wear had good prices & a pretty wide line. (Probably have been closed for 20 years, but they WERE good. :P)

My mom took me there for everything from day 1 through to my high school days.  So we're pushing 20 years, but I bet they're still around.  I feel like I'm remembering either a a remodeled or new location in the late 90s.

Edited by shrader

The last choice seems to be your best option. ;)

Would ask 11 for advice. He is up on where the good shops are & when they tend to have sales.

Not sure if it's still open, but back in the day Riverside Mens Wear had good prices & a pretty wide line. (Probably have been closed for 20 years, but they WERE good. :P)

Riverside just moved to Depew. Their "house" suits seem to be right around the top of my range and come with free alterations, so that's not too bad. 

Save yourself some money ... buy a suit on Ebay close to your size, dry clean it, and have it tailored locally. If you're not in a suit everyday for work, why spend the $ ?

I don't like buying clothing I can't touch. T-shirts are one thing but suits are a completely different animal. Same goes for boots, shoes, hockey skates, goalie pads, etc. I'm okay with spending some money for the peace of mind that what I'm taking home is exactly what I want.  

I don't like buying clothing I can't touch. T-shirts are one thing but suits are a completely different animal. Same goes for boots, shoes, hockey skates, goalie pads, etc. I'm okay with spending some money for the peace of mind that what I'm taking home is exactly what I want.  

Got it ... I'm the same for hockey equipment, shoes, boots, etc. I have bought Brooks Brothers suits cheap on Ebay and had just the pants tailored but I'm a standard size.

Good luck. 

Bureau is very definitely a "real tailor."  Possibly as expensive as O'Connell's.

I don't buy Jos A. Bank stuff anymore.  It falls apart.  I need a suit to last longer than one year.

I get most of my suits / jackets / pants from an overseas* tailor who visits Buffalo twice a year, but that's not going to help you if you're looking at weddings this summer.

Chayban's might be a good option.  I have used them to do some repair work (such as re-lining a winter coat) and some tailoring work (had to take in a suitcoat) and I've liked their work and their prices.  I know they do custom suits because I've seen the bolts of cloth in their Elmwood and Galleria locations.  I would start at the Galleria location where the patriarch of the tailoring family is stationed.

I haven't been to Riverside in a long time, but I know it enjoyed an excellent reputation.

Department stores aren't too bad if you go to the right department store.  In Buffalo, for men, that means Lord & Taylor and little else. 

There's also a Brooks Brothers outlet in Niagara Falls.  Definitely priced below their normal retail, but you're going to need a tailor after.

Don't let a price tag scare you too, too much.  If you get a well-made, classically-styled suit (that means cuffed pants, a half- or full-break, a double vent on the coat, and not a double-breasted coat), you're looking at something that should last you a decade.  (If you go for fads such as non-cuffed pants, European cuts, single vents, contrasting vest, etc., they will fall out of fashion sooner than that.)  So keep in mind that you're really amortizing the cost over time. 

*Keep in mind that the entire garment industry is unethical when it comes to labor practices.  It doesn't matter whether the suit is made in New York, Milan, or Bangkok.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

I haven't been in there because I know I greatly prefer the prices from my overseas guy, but you're probably looking at about 1500 and up for a suit.

Anything in the 1k range? That's good. It's for a wedding. Weddings not till next year.

Thxs d4rk for starting this thread.

Edited by Skurk Liger

$1,500 buck for a suit ...  :unsure:

Even a $1,000 ...

The last suits I purchased were like 25 years ago.  Spent around $350 (Canadian) for a classic navy double breasted.  Still fits ...  :flirt:

I did buy 3 suites when we lived in Pittsburgh in 1991.  Very nice at JC Penny's.  About $250 to $300 (US).

I suppose I am just ageing myself here, yet again.

Anything in the 1k range? That's good. It's for a wedding. Weddings not till next year.

Thxs d4rk for starting this thread.

You could do very well at any number of places in Buffalo for 1K.  (Or just wait until my guy comes to Buffalo again in June.)  I would look into Chayban's, Lord & Taylor, Brooks Brothers.

Or stop in Bureau.  Maybe I'm wrong on the price.

A couple of factors are important, though, which are your body type (I've no idea) and age (I can make an educated guess).  D4rk and I have met in person enough times for me to know that he's not going to put on weight in the next ten years.  He's young enough and basically has rickets.  Most men will put on weight at some point between our mid-30s and mid-40s.  It's just the way the hormones work.  So how long a suit is going to last you will depend on that a bit.

You could do very well at any number of places in Buffalo for 1K. (Or just wait until my guy comes to Buffalo again in June.) I would look into Chayban's, Lord & Taylor, Brooks Brothers.

Or stop in Bureau. Maybe I'm wrong on the price.

A couple of factors are important, though, which are your body type (I've no idea) and age (I can make an educated guess). D4rk and I have met in person enough times for me to know that he's not going to put on weight in the next ten years. He's young enough and basically has rickets. Most men will put on weight at some point between our mid-30s and mid-40s. It's just the way the hormones work. So how long a suit is going to last you will depend on that a bit.

June you say...

I'm skinny but not as skinny as dark

I'm getting married and refuse to rent some poorly fitting tux

I haven't been in there because I know I greatly prefer the prices from my overseas guy, but you're probably looking at about 1500 and up for a suit.

Eff that :lol:

Thanks for the other stuff above. I may give Chayban's a look. 

Also, I am not that skinny boys. I just hold my weight well :blush: I have thick legs which makes getting the fit right kinda tough. I'm a 36 waist and a 31 inseam with meat legs and a long torso and arms. I'm all torso. 

Eff that :lol:

Thanks for the other stuff above. I may give Chayban's a look. 

Also, I am not that skinny boys. I just hold my weight well :blush: I have thick legs which makes getting the fit right kinda tough. I'm a 36 waist and a 31 inseam with meat legs and a long torso and arms. I'm all torso. 

t h i c c

So it's clear no one here really watches Sabres games.

Not one suggestion of Napoli's?  ;)

Sabres, eh? Never heard of it. Is it on Netflix?

I would check out Get Dressed on Elmwood. I know the owner, great guy and he has a wide range of pricing in line, I think, with what you're looking for. He is an old-school clothier who will do the measurements and free tailoring to boot. He has great connections in NYC and buys his stuff in the Garment District....b/c his is a small shop, you're not paying for overhead. His pricing is very fair and quality very good relative to price  - I have bought alot from him over the years.

http://getdressedbuffalo.com/

I would check out Get Dressed on Elmwood. I know the owner, great guy and he has a wide range of pricing in line, I think, with what you're looking for. He is an old-school clothier who will do the measurements and free tailoring to boot. He has great connections in NYC and buys his stuff in the Garment District....b/c his is a small shop, you're not paying for overhead. His pricing is very fair and quality very good relative to price - I have bought alot from him over the years.

http://getdressedbuffalo.com/

Hmm, that doesn't look bad at all...

My coworker Mark says hit up the outlets in Niagara Falls

I dunno.. Mark is pretty Euro :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.