Buffalo Loves NHL Hockey

LTS

I didn't really want to bury this in another thread because I think everyone in Buffalo deserves a pat on the back for this.  You topped the playoff viewership ratings with NO team in the playoffs.

This is why we have passionate hockey discussions around here.  Buffalo loves hockey.

https://www.bardown.com/top-10-cities-watching-hockey-in-america-last-night-included-three-cities-with-non-playoff-teams-1.1054964

Following are Top 10 markets for last night's coverage of #StanleyCupPlayoffs:
1 Buffalo 1.75
2 Ft. Myers 1.05
3 Nashville 0.87
3 Richmond-Petersburg 0.87
3 Boston 0.87
6 WashDC 0.77
7 Pittsburgh 0.66
8 Phoenix 0.61
9 Hartford-New Haven 0.60
10 St. Louis 0.59

Didn't we debunk these ratings numbers back in the day as basically meaningless because Buffalo has such a small population compared to the larger markets on the rankings?

Yes & no.

While in NYC, w/ 10x the population of Buffalo, you MIGHT marginally have more people watching hockey than in Buffalo, it is FAR more in the conciousness of the collective of people in WNY & as such it is a huge value for NHL.

The NHL may manage to kill the love of pro hockey inherent in the region, but they haven't yet & if they do they will take a hit in their pocketbook. Had the Sabres actually been playing last night, you'd've seen ratings at least in the 20's, possibly in the 50's.

There is a reason the horrible Sabres still end up on national TV about 8x/ yr. People in Buffalo & WNY actually watch the games.

Yes & no.

While in NYC, w/ 10x the population of Buffalo, you MIGHT marginally have more people watching hockey than in Buffalo, it is FAR more in the conciousness of the collective of people in WNY & as such it is a huge value for NHL.

The NHL may manage to kill the love of pro hockey inherent in the region, but they haven't yet & if they do they will take a hit in their pocketbook. Had the Sabres actually been playing last night, you'd've seen ratings at least in the 20's, possibly in the 50's.

There is a reason the horrible Sabres still end up on national TV about 8x/ yr. People in Buffalo & WNY actually watch the games.

But how much more is our viewership worth compared to other markets? I assume advertisements running for our eyeballs don't bring nearly as much money to the NHL as in larger markets. 

But how much more is our viewership worth compared to other markets? I assume advertisements running for our eyeballs don't bring nearly as much money to the NHL as in larger markets.

Don't have that data. Maybe PTR or Swamp could help there.

But the gut feel here is it's more important than you think. Supporting evidence of it including that the league goes out of its way to give a national spotlight to its worst team.

I'm shocked and impressed that Phoenix made the top 10.  Although the Coyotes finished the season strong, their attendance is always low.  It is a combination of factors:  a poor team, an arena that is in the far west suburbs while a lot of the hockey fans live in the central city or east suburbs, and a non-traditional hockey market.  I understand Buffalo being on the list with no horse in the race, but Phoenix is a real surprise.  Maybe that's why the league has bent over backwards to keep the franchise from moving.

Don't have that data. Maybe PTR or Swamp could help there.

But the gut feel here is it's more important than you think. Supporting evidence of it including that the league goes out of its way to give a national spotlight to its worst team.

I don't know. I don't think the league expected us to be so bad this year. Maybe we wont get ANY games next year. :lol:

Nice! 

I think hockey itself is really taking off as a sport all over. So much more popular now. I see this at the rink with more skaters all the time, the expanding number of teams and so many young and diverse players

You'd have to have attendance numbers for the whole league, but I'm not sure this is true. Watched Florida playing the Bruins (a big draw team league wide) when Florida was still alive and that rink was half empty.  Phoenix is certainly struggling, even "hockeytown" had a lot of empty seats this year. Alive and well in some places, but as a league I'm not so sure. 

Personally, I think the current playoff format sucks. I think we need more wildcards and less play within the same divisions. Same match-ups gets repetitive. 

I didn't really want to bury this in another thread because I think everyone in Buffalo deserves a pat on the back for this.  You topped the playoff viewership ratings with NO team in the playoffs.

This is why we have passionate hockey discussions around here.  Buffalo loves hockey.

https://www.bardown.com/top-10-cities-watching-hockey-in-america-last-night-included-three-cities-with-non-playoff-teams-1.1054964

Following are Top 10 markets for last night's coverage of #StanleyCupPlayoffs:

1 Buffalo 1.75

2 Ft. Myers 1.05

3 Nashville 0.87

3 Richmond-Petersburg 0.87

3 Boston 0.87

6 WashDC 0.77

7 Pittsburgh 0.66

8 Phoenix 0.61

9 Hartford-New Haven 0.60

10 St. Louis 0.59

It happens almost every year in the playoffs...Buffalo is he #1 hockey market.

And this doesn't even take into account all the people watching the Hockey Night In Canada Broadcasts either.

Didn't we debunk these ratings numbers back in the day as basically meaningless because Buffalo has such a small population compared to the larger markets on the rankings? 

I see you have taken over the long vacant wet blanket status after shrader straightened up and now flies right.

:P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.