Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Roku, Kodi and the like

inkman

It's rules like that which lead to piracy in the first place.

The broke college kid isn't going to suddenly spend his beer and pizza money on streaming services. If they figure out how to block it, he'll probably just go without and his parents will just be more likely to cancel since they are paying the same amount while using it less overall.

Netflix is as low as $8/month.  That's half the price of a pizza around here.  A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

Netflix is as low as $8/month. That's half the price of a pizza around here. A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

If you took $8/month out of my beer budget in college, I would cut you.

But we had DC++ in my day and we just got everything for free.

Netflix is as low as $8/month. That's half the price of a pizza around here. A college student can easily afford that if he prioritizes it.

I pay Netflix $14.95 per month to have up to 4 simultaneous streams at a time. That allows other members of my family to avoid a Netflix bill altogether and put that money towards Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Amazon Prime so by password sharing we get basically everything and no one person is stuck footing the entire bill. Sure it's technically piracy but it's not like they are losing money because there's no chance I'd pay for each of those services if I wasn't able to share accounts. I would either go without it or pirate it through some country like Tonga that doesn't follow US copyright laws.

I pay Netflix $14.95 per month to have up to 4 simultaneous streams at a time. That allows other members of my family to avoid a Netflix bill altogether and put that money towards Hulu, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Amazon Prime so by password sharing we get basically everything and no one person is stuck footing the entire bill. Sure it's technically piracy but it's not like they are losing money because there's no chance I'd pay for each of those services if I wasn't able to share accounts. I would either go without it or pirate it through some country like Tonga that doesn't follow US copyright laws.

Justify it all you want, I said I wasn't making a moral judgment here.  I'm guilty of illegal streaming myself for sports games from time to time.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.

31R3XVlrZyL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I have a couple of these things on 2 of my 3 Roku remotes. They are currently $30 on Amazon but depending on when they go on sale I've seen them for $15 or $20 as well. You can program all the buttons on it to do whatever you want (I programmed mine for power, input, volume up/down, channel up/down, mute, etc). It takes less than 5 minutes to program them and eliminates the need to switch remotes constantly (although I wish it had like 2 more buttons). It won't solve the number issue but does make it easier to surf through your options.

Anyone use one of these with an Apple TV 4th generation remote ? I'd like to have a mute button, be able to do both a full page and line scroll of the guide and basically do away with using Apple TV remote. 

Yeah, same here.

It wasn't entirely clear. The "remote" in the app looks much like the physical one, but there's a button somewhere that brings up your device keyboard. I'll have to look when I get home as it doesn't work when not on wifi.

https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/how-to-safely-share-your-hbo-netflix-and-other-stream-1797530211

It appears that some services are lenient about it, so sharing an account isn't always wrong. But I'd slog through the legal text. The NHL.tv one mentions (-ed?) a several-hundred $ fee if your service is cancelled for illegal usage (like VPNs or sharing).

Anyone use one of these with an Apple TV 4th generation remote ? I'd like to have a mute button, be able to do both a full page and line scroll of the guide and basically do away with using Apple TV remote.

https://www.sideclickremotes.com/collections/apple-tv-streaming-accessories

According to their website they are compatible with Apple generation 4 remotes. Comes in silver and black.

Yeah the app I downloaded has no numbers either, I'll have to take a harder look at it.

Actually, there's an icon that looks like a keyboard.  When you click that it brings up the mobile phone's keyboard.  Might take a while to figure out when and how to use that.

Actually, there's an icon that looks like a keyboard.  When you click that it brings up the mobile phone's keyboard.  Might take a while to figure out when and how to use that.

I tried it earlier in the Prime video search box (the same time the OSK was displayed on the TV); much easier.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.