Who plays goal next year?

dudacek

goalie  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see as Ullmark's partner next year (pick three)

• Lehner
    • Johnson
    • Lehtonen UFA
    • Halak UFA
    • Ward UFA
    • Bernier UFA
    • Khudobin UFA
    • Raantta UFA
    • Hutton UFA
    • Trade for an emerging youngster at the going rate of a late 1st/2 2nds
    • Trade for a veteran stopgap at the going rate of a 2nd or 3rd
    • D4rk
  2. 2. Who would you hate to see as Ullmark's partner next year (pick three)

• Lehner
    • Johnson
    • Lehtonen UFA
    • Halak UFA
    • Ward UFA
    • Bernier UFA
    • Khudobin UFA
    • Raantta UFA
    • Hutton UFA
    • Trade for an emerging youngster at the going rate of a late 1st/2 2nds
    • Trade for a veteran stopgap at the going rate of a 2nd or 3rd
    • D4rk

If it's one of our goalies with Ullmark, may it be Johnson. If it's not Johnson, then Hutton, Lehtonen (on right cap term), Khudobin, in that order. There will ultimately be other options via trade. I do not want to trade for a young goalie or a mid range stop gap. Sign a reasonable back up, or sign someone in UFA. Whether it's in the NHL or outside of the NHL.

Bye Lehner, it's been nice. We should have had Konecny.

Just imagine had TM did his job properly, kept all our 2015 draft picks. We’d have a better team with more depth. The Amerks would have been excellent for the last couple years and we’d have a wave of talent joining the team this season and next. Oh well. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Okay, hear me out on this one, but what if playing in front of Johnson is actually teaching the Sabres to score more goals because they have no choice?

You know, by this logic you'd make a perfect #1 for the Sabres.  :devil:

Okay, hear me out on this one, but what if playing in front of Johnson is actually teaching the Sabres to score more goals because they have no choice?

Interesting factoid.

The Sabres have scored 34 goals in Chad’s past 10 games.

Of course Chad has allowed 35 and three of those games he played less than half the game...

Another one:

In his 10 games this December Robin Lehner allowed 25 goals, 3 of those in OT

During the same stretch, the Sabres scored 22.

Lehner went 4/3/3

Johnson 4/6/0

Edited by dudacek

Interesting factoid.

Of course Chad has allowed 35 and three of those games he played less than half the game...

Another one:

Lehner went 4/3/3

Johnson 4/6/0

Pretty sure everybody here realizes Johnson is worse than Lehner. Johnson being CLEARLY backup material does not make the Lehner we have seen in Buffalo worth the money they'd be forced to pay him to keep him. Nor does that make the Lehner we've seen a quality starter.

Lehner absolutely needs a change of scenery, but it'd be surprising if that gets him to play to his potential. He flat out has shown no ability to hug the post w/ his reverse V-H. None whatsoever & due to that & some other flaws in his game, he will likely always give up that killer goal.

If they could get him back for Johnson's price, wouldn't be opposed to seeing him back ideally as Ullmark's backup. Don't really see any options (other than Grubauer/Holtby) that may become available that are necessarily better than him were all things equal. But at the price he'd cost, he's gone.

And it is sure looks like management is done w/ him. (Regardless of whether he asked for a trade or not. ;))

Lehner absolutely needs a change of scenery, but it'd be surprising if that gets him to play to his potential. He flat out has shown no ability to hug the post w/ his reverse V-H. None whatsoever & due to that & some other flaws in his game, he will likely always give up that killer goa

Lehner needs more than a change of scenary.  He's slow, not very athletic, and over commits.  That won't change in another city.  If he's still here next season, we remain in trouble.

Interesting factoid.

Another one:

Lehner went 4/3/3

Johnson 4/6/0

See!

Remember when I said that I thought the team hated playing in front of Robin? I was wrong. I was seeing something, but it was actually the team just leaning on Robin too much because he's better than Chad. They don't feel like they have to try as hard in front of Robin, and so they don't.

Chad makes them uncomfortable and gives up more goals, so they have no choice but to work their nuts off in front of him to score. They HAVE TO show up ready to play for Chad.

This would certainly put a nice bow on all the scuttlebutt about the team not doing the right things in practice, or preparing for games, or being ready to go when the game starts. There's some kind of hive mind thing going on where the team just collectively relaxes when they aren't terrified of their goalie situation.

Maybe the Chad/Ullmark tandem is the way to break them out of this mindset.

Lehner needs more than a change of scenary.  He's slow, not very athletic, and over commits.  That won't change in another city.  If he's still here next season, we remain in trouble.

As stated above, the change in scenery likely won't help. But he has had a handful of games that showed the lightbulb CAN go on for him. In the right situation, he MIGHT get it to come together but wouldn't want any money on it.

And he isn't coming back. Barring Ullmark's concussion, he'd've played his last game as a Sabre about 2-1/2 weeks ago.

See!

Remember when I said that I thought the team hated playing in front of Robin? I was wrong. I was seeing something, but it was actually the team just leaning on Robin too much because he's better than Chad. They don't feel like they have to try as hard in front of Robin, and so they don't.

Chad makes them uncomfortable and gives up more goals, so they have no choice but to work their nuts off in front of him to score. They HAVE TO show up ready to play for Chad.

This would certainly put a nice bow on all the scuttlebutt about the team not doing the right things in practice, or preparing for games, or being ready to go when the game starts. There's some kind of hive mind thing going on where the team just collectively relaxes when they aren't terrified of their goalie situation.

Maybe the Chad/Ullmark tandem is the way to break them out of this mindset.

No doubt in my mind that they wanted to see the Ullmark/ Johnson show the last 9 games of the season. Too bad life got in the way & they still have to guess whether that'd be good enough next year. Being able to only spend $3MM on goalies next year could allow them to get a FA or 2 & not have to buy any of the deadweight out.

Might see our 2nd rounder go towards a goalie again.

Why? With Johansson developing nicely and the Finish kid, I don’t think G is a high priority especially with the 32nd pick. Odds are we grab one of the guys with a 1st rd grade that slips into the 2nd rd and none of ranked goalies has a 1st rd grade.

Imagine dark sitting on the end of the bench, donning full gear and a ballcap as he backs up Ullmark, posting regularly in the GDT. Hopefully they'd let him on the private wifi :D

PS @Thwomp, I don't think I ever noticed that you're in Columbus! Is that new, or am I unobservant?

I haven't been posting much in a while. Off season is much more interesting this year Sabres wise for me.

Live on the exact opposite side of Columbus from you.

I haven't been posting much in a while. Off season is much more interesting this year Sabres wise for me.

Live on the exact opposite side of Columbus from you.

Well here’s to hoping we both have lots to post about this offseason!

And hmmm, exact opposite? Canal area? Cool to have a Columbus buddy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.