Who plays goal next year?

dudacek

goalie  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see as Ullmark's partner next year (pick three)

• Lehner
    • Johnson
    • Lehtonen UFA
    • Halak UFA
    • Ward UFA
    • Bernier UFA
    • Khudobin UFA
    • Raantta UFA
    • Hutton UFA
    • Trade for an emerging youngster at the going rate of a late 1st/2 2nds
    • Trade for a veteran stopgap at the going rate of a 2nd or 3rd
    • D4rk
  2. 2. Who would you hate to see as Ullmark's partner next year (pick three)

• Lehner
    • Johnson
    • Lehtonen UFA
    • Halak UFA
    • Ward UFA
    • Bernier UFA
    • Khudobin UFA
    • Raantta UFA
    • Hutton UFA
    • Trade for an emerging youngster at the going rate of a late 1st/2 2nds
    • Trade for a veteran stopgap at the going rate of a 2nd or 3rd
    • D4rk

I'm not sold on Ullmark he looks a lot like Lehner to me, gives up bad rebounds, over agressive. He didn't exactly dominate in the minors this year. Sounds like a nice guy tho.

That said I hope they bring in a couple other veteran tendys.

I'm not sold on Ullmark he looks a lot like Lehner to me, gives up bad rebounds, over agressive. He didn't exactly dominate in the minors this year. Sounds like a nice guy tho.

That said I hope they bring in a couple other veteran tendys.

Jesus man. Ullmark went to his second AHL All Star game this year and posted a career high save percentage. He also looks nothing like Lehner and will undoubtedly look shaky in the NHL until the settles in like every goalie ever.

You've lost the plot.

Ullmark seems much calmer than lehner. And it is a big deal.

Story from my life, I pulled some ER shifts last week, 2 different nurse rotations, one charge nurse is a crazy nut, the day wasn't even that bad, and she made it seem terrible.... Just one person.

Next day, better charge nurse, crazy day in the ER, and it was much smoother Overall, now I know my situation and the team's aren't the same, but it makes a difference.

Robin being that heated will Absolutely shake the culture of the room.

Teams like Washington will put goalies on the market and that's what the trade options are for.

The going rates for goalies are pretty well established.

I now it's the greener grass idea, but if a guy like Mrazek or Allen gets kicked to the curb, it's because they are reasonable facsimiles of Lehner. And LOL at the idea of getting Holtby or Grubauer for a 2nd.

Some would have said the same about Evander Kane, and the Sabres didn't even get this year's second for him.  Grubauer is RFA this summer; Washington is going to have a very tough time keeping both of those guys and will under pressure.

The Sabres are idiots if they don't offer sheet Grubauer.

Edited by Eleven

Ullmark seems much calmer than lehner. And it is a big deal.

Story from my life, I pulled some ER shifts last week, 2 different nurse rotations, one charge nurse is a crazy nut, the day wasn't even that bad, and she made it seem terrible.... Just one person.

Next day, better charge nurse, crazy day in the ER, and it was much smoother Overall, now I know my situation and the team's aren't the same, but it makes a difference.

Robin being that heated will Absolutely shake the culture of the room.

The vibe I have gotten from talking to someone who would know is that the players like Lehner, he's a nice guy who tries hard, but he's a headcase and you kinda have to walk on egg shells around him so that he doesn't lose focus. As soon as he gets rattled he loses it. That's probably just who he is and unfortunately it is what is holding him back from being a truly great goalie. His mental game is poor. He's not a guy who thrives on pressure. 

Ullmark, on the other hand, seems like the kind of guy who is unfazed by everything. He exudes positive vibes. He wont mope when he lets in a bad goal, and he wont make his teammates feel bad when they hang him out to dry. You'll probably never see a wtf wave from Ullmark. 

I hope he keeps the Minions mask. That's his entire life attitude encapsulated in an object. 

The vibe I have gotten from talking to someone who would know is that the players like Lehner, he's a nice guy who tries hard, but he's a headcase and you kinda have to walk on egg shells around him so that he doesn't lose focus. As soon as he gets rattled he loses it. That's probably just who he is and unfortunately it is what is holding him back from being a truly great goalie. His mental game is poor. He's not a guy who thrives on pressure. 

Ullmark, on the other hand, seems like the kind of guy who is unfazed by everything. He exudes positive vibes. He wont mope when he lets in a bad goal, and he wont make his teammates feel bad when they hang him out to dry. You'll probably never see a wtf wave from Ullmark. 

I hope he keeps the Minions mask. That's his entire life attitude encapsulated in an object.

I usually don’t reply to posts I entirely agree with.

But they want us to be nicer to the new guys, so....

With Raanta now out of the running, Johnson is now leading the poll among named choices.

I can only conclude the voters didn’t watch him play much this year.

Lehner posts 3.01, .908 and everyone (including me) wants him gone.

Johnson’s stats with the same team 3.40, .895

WTF?

Edited by dudacek

With Raanta now out of the running, Johnson is now leading the poll among named choices.

I can only conclude the voters didn’t watch him play much this year.

Lehner posts 3.01, .908 and everyone (including me) wants him gone.

Johnson’s stats with the same team 3.40, .895

WTF?

I only have a vote in for Johnson because I like him as a veteran mentor. With Raanta out I'm looking at Ward or trading for a veteran goalie who is maybe on his way out of the league. 

How about this one? 

Trade for Ryan Miller. Let him come back and retire a Sabre. His numbers are still pretty good and he's cheap. 

Jesus man. Ullmark went to his second AHL All Star game this year and posted a career high save percentage. He also looks nothing like Lehner and will undoubtedly look shaky in the NHL until the settles in like every goalie ever.

You've lost the plot.

13th in GAA and 7th in sv% in the AHL doesn't exactly scream NHL starter to me. Some goalies with better sv%....

Garrett Sparks

Michael Hutchinson

Reto Berra

Calvin Pickard

...these guys have failed as NHL starters.

I only have a vote in for Johnson because I like him as a veteran mentor. With Raanta out I'm looking at Ward or trading for a veteran goalie who is maybe on his way out of the league. 

How about this one? 

Trade for Ryan Miller. Let him come back and retire a Sabre. His numbers are still pretty good and he's cheap. 

I wouldn't mind him mentoring Ullmark, but I doubt he will return to a non-contender.   

I think the washington goalie situation might get interesting for us.

Some would have said the same about Evander Kane, and the Sabres didn't even get this year's second for him.  Grubauer is RFA this summer; Washington is going to have a very tough time keeping both of those guys and will under pressure.

The Sabres are idiots if they don't offer sheet Grubauer.

I like the offer sheet idea.  Make the offer and then negotiate for Holtby.

I mentioned earlier Lehner for Mzarek.  At this point I'm not tendering Lehner and I don't think Det with tender Mzarek.  If management thinks Ullmark is the goalie of the future, I'm offering Mzarek a 2 yr $5.5 mill deal to be his backup/insurance policy.  Tendering Lehner puts us on the hook for at least $4 mill for Lehner and that is much to much for a backup.  My guess is Det feels the same about Mrazek.  (he made 4.15 last season).  

13th in GAA and 7th in sv% in the AHL doesn't exactly scream NHL starter to me. Some goalies with better sv%....

Garrett Sparks

Michael Hutchinson

Reto Berra

Calvin Pickard

...these guys have failed as NHL starters.

and Crawford, Luongo, Rinne, Rask have never had a save percentage as high as Ullmark's in the AHL.

Picking three random dudes, and I get that general argumentation and logical principles are things you scoff at, but still, this is not the way to make a convincing argument

and Crawford, Luongo, Rinne, Rask have never had a save percentage as high as Ullmark's in the AHL.

Picking three random dudes, and I get that general argumentation and logical principles are things you scoff at, but still, this is not the way to make a convincing argument

Thank you. I really didn't feel like trying to make the argument. 

AHL stats don't matter much to me as a point of comparison between goalies at that level. There's so much more disparity between teams at that level. You just never know how a goalie will be until they get to the NHL. Until then you just have to trust your player evaluation process. Ullmark seems to chart highly in the AHL from an evaluation standpoint, and comparing own his stats against himself is really all that matters. If he's making personal gains then that's what I'm interested in. 

Edited by darksabre

Just some friendly advice, don't attack the poster, attack the post.

I didn't pick 3 random dudes. Those 4 goalies all had better sv% this year in the AHL. They have failed as NHL starters. My response was to dark, who said Ullmark posted career high sv% this season, which is nice but his numbers aren't any better than those 4 guys I mentioned who have failed as NHL starters recently.

My point is that we need to pump the brakes on the thought of Ullmark as the answer in net next season.

But placing unfounded hope in unproven prospects despite the repeated failures of their predecessors is what sustains me on this board.

Well that, and the rush I get when finally recognizing one of PA’s obscure references.

Edited by dudacek

I didn't pick 3 random dudes. Those 4 goalies all had better sv% this year in the AHL. They have failed as NHL starters. My response was to dark, who said Ullmark posted career high sv% this season, which is nice but his numbers aren't any better than those 4 guys I mentioned who have failed as NHL starters recently.

My point is that we need to pump the brakes on the thought of Ullmark as the answer in net next season.

"pi is a doo doo head"

and I just as easily found four goalies who never performed as well but were/are consistent high end guys. That's why presenting that as an argument for your take is unconvincing. 

What's more convincing would be expanding on your take that he has Lehner-like attributes. I think his fundamentals, angles, post-play, lateral motion, and willingness to move his appendages to make saves are all better than Lehner's (though I'm not ready to say that they are NHL-starter-material). The only thing that has concerned me in my viewings is rebound control, but maybe you've seen him more and see those red flags. Somebody go fetch some game tape. 

I'd also like a veteran guy (or two), I have no idea which one though.

We definitely should. We don't know if Ullmark will succeed as an NHL goalie. 

Very reasonable.  I too am pretty concerned about going into next season with Linus as the #1.

"pi is a doo doo head"

and I just as easily found four goalies who never performed as well but were/are consistent high end guys. That's why presenting that as an argument for your take is unconvincing. 

What's more convincing would be expanding on your take that he has Lehner-like attributes. I think his fundamentals, angles, post-play, lateral motion, and willingness to move his appendages to make saves are all better than Lehner's (though I'm not ready to say that they are NHL-starter-material). The only thing that has concerned me in my viewings is rebound control, but maybe you've seen him more and see those red flags. Somebody go fetch some game tape. 

I'd also like a veteran guy (or two), I have no idea which one though.

I generally agree that Ullmark surpasses Lehner in these qualities (or, perhaps more accurately, that Lehner is worse than Ullmark in them) -- but FWIW I think Lehner is quicker and more athletic than Ullmark.  In particular, I've noticed that once Ullmark goes down, it takes him a long time to get back up.

I'm just not that confident that Ullmark is the guy, and I think goalie needs to be JBott's top priority.

If it's one of our goalies with Ullmark, may it be Johnson.  If it's not Johnson, then Hutton, Lehtonen (on right cap term), Khudobin, in that order.  There will ultimately be other options via trade.  I do not want to trade for a young goalie or a mid range stop gap.  Sign a reasonable back up, or sign someone in UFA.  Whether it's in the NHL or outside of the NHL. 

Bye Lehner, it's been nice.  We should have had Konecny.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.