GDT Buffalo at. Nashville 3/31/18 8 pm MSG GR

Brawndo

I'll admit I was expecting them to get run out of the barn in Nashville.  It started to look that way at 2-1 and 3-1, but give 'em credit, they stuck with it. 

Great win, boys.  Where has this been all year?

Easy now. They're going to the Cup next season.

To point out the obvious, this was a trap game for the Preds. They played the hottest team in the West, San Jose, prior. They play Tampa tomorrow. They rested Phil Forsberg (then lost Arviddson and Hartnell in the second) and gave Eli Tolvanen his first NHL start thinking it'd be an easy win. The Sabres played great, but the Preds definitely gave a half-assed effort the first two periods.

Either way, I'm really happy with the win and with actually scoring some goals. And, I like that many of our best players on the night were youngsters. I have no problem with Housley's system... we just need the young guys to get experience in the system.

If Eichel takes that hit, it's a scandal up there with Lucic-Miller.

Possibly. A boarding on a skater is a different than a charging elbow to the head of a player the league says you have to make an effort to not contact at all.

Would have to know how the details between the actual hit on Antipin & your theoretical hit on Eichel to say how much of a controversy it would create. And have no desire to hear (read, technically) those details tonight.

Laviolette to team: "I have tried to help Hartnell stop doing stupid things. I have tried to motivate him and I have failed, because his teammates have not helped me to give him the proper motivation."[/size]

Wow. Very unexpected, but appreciated, response.

To point out the obvious, this was a trap game for the Preds. They played the hottest team in the West, San Jose, prior. They play Tampa tomorrow. They rested Phil Forsberg (then lost Arviddson and Hartnell in the second) and gave Eli Tolvanen his first NHL start thinking it'd be an easy win. The Sabres played great, but the Preds definitely gave a half-assed effort the first two periods.

Either way, I'm really happy with the win and with actually scoring some goals. And, I like that many of our best players on the night were youngsters. I have no problem with Housley's system... we just need the young guys to get experience in the system.

It was a trap game & if Hartnell doesn't decide to be Hartnell, they probably win. But he did & they didn't. Only damper on this night is not knowing how severely Antipin was injured. If the actions of the medical staff were primarily precautionary & he's sore but fine; it's a great night. If he's seriously injured, it isn't a good night. (Thanks, Captain Obvious.)

Edited by Taro T

Laviolette to team: "I have tried to help Hartnell stop doing stupid things. I have tried to motivate him and I have failed, because his teammates have not helped me to give him the proper motivation."

So what he's saying is the team has a bad culture and a weak room? Incredible how that seems completely unrelated to their record. It's almost as if talent, not culture, dictates on-ice success.

Great work from Ponch!   3-3!

Outstanding.

5 points for Jack, 2 goals for Samson, 2 goals for Kyle, and 1 goal + 1 assist for ROR.

It's fun when we score goals.

That's what those 4 guys are supposed to deliver.

You missed the most entertaining period I've seen the Sabres play in years.

Sure was.

I don't think the hit was high. It was totally unnecessary, but I suspect the league upon review is going to cite Antipin turning his back on the play and not suspend the dude.

Why?

Looked to me like Harnell finished high and did so intentionally. His body was definitely moving upward. And the primary point of contact appeared to be Hartnell’s shoulder to Antipin’s neck.

Antipin's not tall, but it was high up on his body -- between his shoulderblades at the base of the neck, resulting in major whiplash.

I would guess that when his head whiplashed into the glass, he was knocked out cold and is probably concussed.

Somewhere, there are nincompoops who aren't impressed by Eichel's 5 assists because they aren't goals. 

Well, it's possible to appreciate assists and still understand the unavoidable truth that they aren't as precious as goals.

# of times a Sabre has recorded 5 assists:  8.

# of times a Sabre has scored 5 goals:  1

(Bonus points if you guess who had the 5 goals.)

When was last time we scored 7?

2013!

The lineup is way more fun when Nelson, Guhle, Baptiste, Mittelstadt, and Wilson play instead of starting the year with McCabe, Tennyson, Griffith, Moulson, and Nolan in their places. 

Yes indeed.

Am I crazy, or does Casey immediately give us a 3rd line that can score?

Laviolette to team: "I have tried to help Hartnell stop doing stupid things. I have tried to motivate him and I have failed, because his teammates have not helped me to give him the proper motivation."

This was a FMJ reference, right?

If not -- did Lav order a code red on Hartsy?

Yes indeed.

Am I crazy, or does Casey immediately give us a 3rd line that can score?

This was a FMJ reference, right?

If not -- did Lav order a code red on Hartsy?

First point: I hope so, though that goal was all EROD (who literally channeled Datsyuk there, make sure if you guys haven't seen it yet that you do, between the legs and off the boards spin that makes Emelin eat ice? Amazing) and KO. I will say that the whole play, Casey is feeling out the soft areas and was open for the tap in had the pass gotten to him. 

He had two other sweet skill plays, finding EROD in the slot and then deking around Fisher, drawing the trip. 

Second point, yes it was, though i confess to it not being my creation

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.