The cap managment game

Larry Playfair

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGVPEMQNV1.DTL

"If league revenues don't reach the projected $1.7 billion this season -- down from $2 billion when the NHL last played, in 2003-04 -- the team salary-cap ceiling will drop. Many industry analysts forecast the payroll maximum will fall to around $35 million next season.

Suddenly, 17 teams -- 56 percent of the league -- are looking very hard at what they have and considering ways to unload salary. "

If the sabes are at 26.5mm this year, we will be in a prime spot next year to grab players other teams must just unload because of cap reasons.

hmm interesting but that all depends on the NHL revenues not making the required level... which does look like it could become reality at this point... regier maybe setting himself up for next offseason... we could be in a good position... but i still think he needs to make some moves.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGVPEMQNV1.DTL

"If league revenues don't reach the projected $1.7 billion this season -- down from $2 billion when the NHL last played, in 2003-04 -- the team salary-cap ceiling will drop. Many industry analysts forecast the payroll maximum will fall to around $35 million next season.

Suddenly, 17 teams -- 56 percent of the league -- are looking very hard at what they have and considering ways to unload salary. "

If the sabes are at 26.5mm this year, we will be in a prime spot next year to grab players other teams must just unload because of cap reasons.

Larry, thanks for posting the link to the article.

I still think the Sabres are going to be somewhere between 6th and 10th in the conference this year. My gut feel is 7th, but I just don't know. I think the Sabres have put themselves in a position to make some steal trades near this year's deadlines (or in a worst case, pick up some newly unloaded free agents) as next year's salary cap becomes clearer. Whether they make any remains to be seen, but they are at least in position to make some moves. If the salary cap does go down next year, teams that cut players will have 1/3 to 2/3 of the salary count against their caps. This means a team that was at $39MM this year, in a $35MM cap next year will have to keep from signing $4MM worth of players, but if they cut ANYONE still under contract, they have to keep from signing even more than $4MM.

The Sabres got outbid for several players this year, when they were competing against teams like Boston that had less than 5 players on their roster heading into this year. There will be good players available next year, especially if the cap goes down; and there will be much fewer competitors for those players.

While I would definitely like to see some additional upgrades, I don't think this team is going to be horrible this year. It will depend how well they come out of the gate, another slow start and they are looking at another run to 9th. If the goaltending is good at the beginning of the season, the playoffs are a definite possibility.

I didn't realize that the Leafs were still over $39MM. Cool. I guess the decision to keep Eddie "Bats in his" Belfour may not have been all it was cracked up to be.

Dave.

hmmm i still don't understand how a team can be over 39 million... its a hard cap no???  why is this being allowed to go on?

I haven't been able to find a copy of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (NHLPA's web site claims it will eventually end up there), but my guess is that there is some date (prior to the start of the season) that the teams will have to have their rosters set and at from that date through the season they will have to be under the cap.

Sorry I can't help answer the question. I hope you keep asking it until somebody can give a legitimate response.

Dave.

Archived