How badly did the tank fail?

dudacek

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

so if the team is haunted, how are they now winning?

I think that all anti-tankers thought that the Sabres would start winning again at some point.  That does not mean that we (the anti-tankers), well I will only speak for myself, do not feel that the decision to tank will not haunt the Sabres.  It was a terrible decision, IMO, to throw away 5+ years. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

you can delete all the tank threads but we will always remember which side ended up being right.

Gloating over.

Go Sabres!

Haven't read the thread, but just looking at this post, I have no idea which side of the argument you're on.  It's almost 2019 and both sides of the debate think it's 100% self-evident that they're right. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

you can delete all the tank threads but we will always remember which side ended up being right.

Gloating over.

Go Sabres!

If the plan of the tank, the whole time, was to hire a completely incompetent GM, fire him, and then hire an extremely competent one, accidentally tank again, acquire Dahlin... then sure, the plan worked.

The way I see it, we are extremely lucky to be where we are right now, and if you think this was "the plan all along," I think you're deluding yourself

Another thought- if we had actually drafted McDavid, GMTM might still be here. How do you think we'd be doing, then? Edmonton?

• Like (+1) 1

LOL, Crusader thinks the pro tankers took abuse.  You were in the greater majority dude.  It came back in spades for the other side.

Like standing behind and supporting a son or daughter who made a disappointing life changing decision, I'll cheer this team and support it because it is part of me.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

LOL, Crusader thinks the pro tankers took abuse.  You were in the greater majority dude.  It came back in spades for the other side.

Like standing behind and supporting a son or daughter who made a disappointing life changing decision, I'll cheer this team and support it because it is part of me.

Lucky for you, your Son surprisingly just booked his first legitimate acting gig. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

If the plan of the tank, the whole time, was to hire a completely incompetent GM, fire him, and then hire an extremely competent one, accidentally tank again, acquire Dahlin... then sure, the plan worked.

The way I see it, we are extremely lucky to be where we are right now, and if you think this was "the plan all along," I think you're deluding yourself

Another thought- if we had actually drafted McDavid, GMTM might still be here. How do you think we'd be doing, then? Edmonton?

Eh. I think you are missing a key feature of selling off your assets in order to acquire elite talent at the top of the draft. 

If it doesn’t work on the first try, you are still at the bottom and you can still acquire additional elite talent. 

The downside of failing to quickly recover is more elite talent. That’s a nice feature. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SDS said:

Eh. I think you are missing a key feature of selling off your assets in order to acquire elite talent at the top of the draft. 

If it doesn’t work on the first try, you are still at the bottom and you can still acquire additional elite talent. 

The downside of failing to quickly recover is more elite talent. That’s a nice feature. 

I assure you I didn't miss any key feature. Don't try to tell me "this was all part of the plan."

We should be thanking our lucky stars we were able to right the ship since the reign of JBotts

To me the tank just seemed like the logical thing to do.  There was nothing cynical about it.  Things were going downhill and we had players that simply weren't coming back.  Better to dump them for assets than to cling to some misguided hope that we would qualify as an 8-seed only to have the season end 4 or 5 games later.  Were mistakes made during this process?  I think we all know the answer here is yes, but rebuilding for success (sounds much better than "tank", doesn't it?), as painful as it was, was ultimately a positive way to approach things given the circumstances.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.