Kyle Okposo Has Another Concussion

bob_sauve28

And yet I'm sure it's just what Kyle is thinking.

Maybe. Probably. I'm not sure it's even about the money for most of these guys. Their sense of identity must be so closely tied to being an athlete that what comes next terrifies them. I'm not sure it's the sense of adulation or anything. How adored is an NHL player in Buffalo, NY?

Maybe. Probably. I'm not sure it's even about the money for most of these guys. Their sense of identity must be so closely tied to being an athlete that what comes next terrifies them. I'm not sure it's the sense of adulation or anything. How adored is an NHL player in Buffalo, NY?

I don't think it's adulation at all - IMO, it's being around the guys and the team. All of a sudden you go from really busy to not busy and there's only so much golf you can play. Not dissimilar to retiring from a corporate job after 30 years or so - except KO is only closing in on 30 and would need a plan for the next 25 years or so. 

Edited by Gramps

I don't think it's adulation at all - IMO, it's being around the guys and the team. All of a sudden you go from really busy to not busy and there's only so much golf you can play. Not dissimilar to retiring from a corporate job after 30 years or so - except KO is only closing in on 30 and would need a plan for the next 25 years or so. 

That sounds right. Think about the freedom he has, though. Not to do nothing, which is torture. But to do whatever he wants, given his presumed financial freedom. He can make his work whatever he thinks is important. He doesn't have to enter Arby's Management Training (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Going all the way back to where these guys start, can you imagine how times it actually is?

Seriously, he might have had a dozen! I played with a guy in our non checking leagues and he kept getting concussed. With real checking all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if he is finished. Maybe he should just give it up

I know every concussion is different, but my son has had 3 of them.  The 3rd affected him for almost 5 years.  I am concerned about what this means for his future.

I've reached the point where I want these athletes to walk away after 2 concussions.  I don't want to cheer them on as they play their way to future profound life issues.  I would rather cheer their decision to move on to the next phase of their life.

I remember Lafontaine's last game in Buffalo. He was skating across the middle near the blue line and had his head down. Some guy chucked him in the head and he went sprawling. He laid out on the ice for a long time and finally he got off the ice. That was it for his time as a Buffalo Sabre. The Sabres organization refused to sign him and somehow the Rangers picked him up. Within a few months, he was finished for good. 

I wish Okposo the best. It's a tough call because hockey is his life purpose but the concussions get worse every time. I've had six.

Edited by Marvelo

Wishing Kyle all the best and a speedy recovery. This setback really sucks but all year for the most part I've been dreading this happening and kind of knowing it was bound to happen at some point. It is the nature of the beast.

I think he is heading into horton/savard territory :(

• 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.