KeyBank Center improvement chatter

PASabreFan

My two cents.

New Bills stadium will be built in Orchard Park adjacent to the west of current New Era Field on ECC land.  The economics do not support a downtown stadium and Pegula has spoken at length about the economics.  In the end, "the fan" ultimately must pay for all infrastructure investments under the NFL business model.  In Buffalo, there are not enough fans (or corporations) with enough money to build a $1B stadium.  With infrastructure and land plus actual stadium, that's what a downtown Bills stadium will cost.

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is the worst debate ever.

Give me hockey or give me message board death!

Hockey, you car-counting sumbitches.

Hallelujah.

I can't believe the board is now nitpicking the number of cars..err people... err commuters errr.. whatever in Buffalo.

Good lord.  Use your sparetime for social good.  ? 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Draw as narrow as you want. If we can get 40k cars into Orchard park down 2 and 4 lane roads, I think we can get 40k cars into downtown Buffalo on 4 lane roads and a 6 lane highway. 

I'm not doubting we can move 40k cars into downtown...or "downtown".  The question is where do the cars go once they get there, and where do all of the people who drive them disappear to?

22 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm not doubting we can move 40k cars into downtown...or "downtown".  The question is where do the cars go once they get there, and where do all of the people who drive them disappear to?

Check out Cleveland’s stadium footprint. I would bet Buffalo’s would be something similar, only with more access points.

9 hours ago, ... said:

Again, the University of Georgia sits in a town of about 120K people when college is in session. They estimate 100k people come to town on football game days. They manage to fit that influx of cars and DT Buffalo can too. They would obviously build new decks near or next to the stadium, that would be part of the construction. In addition people can park along the train line away from the stadium. I do that for Sabres games now. Fitting 40k cars downtown isn't as hard as you think it would be. You'll also have some of the businesses not too far away with parking, Resurgence, Barrell, hell riverworks isn't far. Lots of places to put cars and it will all add up to room for 40k cars which honestly is probably more than will be there. People get buses, people carpool to games, people use Lyft and Uber, people could now use the train. If we can park 40k cars in Orchard Park we can in DT Buffalo.

My real problem with all of this is that it will greatly impact the tailgating culture that really makes Bills games special. I've been to other places for games and you don't get to tailgate in an open field grilling food. You are in a paved lot where grills are banned and you might have a couple of beers before going to a bar and bargating. I think they will move the stadium but I hope they keep it where it is just for the atmosphere. They just need to make it easier to get on the 90 from there.  

Eliminating tailgating as Bills Fans know it, could be a goal of the team. Making Deadspin for diving through tables and drinking beer after flows down a 17 year old female’s backside does not sit well with the Pegula’s. That being said I haven’t attended a game since 1999 so I am not in position to comment about the tailgating experience.

In terms of game day traffic, there will be a formal study and possibly Federal Dollars to improve the infrastructure surrounding a new stadium particularly if a New Convention Center is affiliated with the stadium, or at least close by. 

One of the options that Ralph Wilson wanted in the past was a train station near New Era to have a train carrying fans from Albany, Syracuse and Rochester. 

A downtown stadium would allow for that with New Exchange Street  Station being the focal point. There are also unused rail lines coming into city from all directions that could be used as park and ride tram system on game days and other major events. 

The biggest obstacles would be that CSX owns all the railway lines and might not be willing to accommodate game day traffic on its lines, also not to mention the cost not only the tram but of also improving old tracks. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Eliminating tailgating as Bills Fans know it, could be a goal of the team. Making Deadspin for diving through tables and drinking beer after flows down a 17 year old female’s backside does not sit well with the Pegula’s.

It doesn't sit well with a lot of people.  I mean, the table thing is amusing and all if I'm watching it online, but I don't want or need to be around that level of wasted and never did. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.