KeyBank Center improvement chatter

PASabreFan

Story by Harrington in the News today about possible upgrades and updates to come for Crossroads.

http://buffalonews.c...treme-makeover/

I can't say I've been bothered by the cold. Maybe it's worse down where Chet and Muffy sit. Her inner ear infections must be acting up. I like to have a cap on at a hockey game anyway.

Same with the seats. Meh, it's a hockey arena. It wouldn't the same experience unless my butt was sticky at night's end. Wait...

Anywho... what's the problem down there that's going to necessitate the taxpayers of Erie County likely coughing up millions?

There are much, much bigger fish to fry. Hopefully any improvements are only small ones and Terry will pay out of pocket. He's thrown millions at "problems" in the past and gotten burned.

Let's play in a dump. Maybe it'll toughen everyone, including the players, up.

Haven't been to any other arenas to compare it to, but I think KBC is decent. It's a hockey arena, so duh it needs to be kept cold especially by the ice. Usually a layer or two under a jersey is enough to keep me warm enough. It's a little dank and gray in the walkways, nothing some paint and new lighting wouldn't fix.

Really, my only major complaint is that the seats an rows aren't big enough for a Daddy longlegs like me. Oh yeah, prices are way over inflated but good lucking getting any sports team to do anything about that.

I don't understand the complaint about the arena being cold. You arrive in a winter coat and a hat. Or at the minimum a sweatshirt. I hate stuffing my coat behind me on the seat but let's not make it any warmer in there please. It's fine. 

I know i'm okay with the current temperature, but I know from experience that my wife and her girl friends are consistently frozen and complaining from the second they sit in their seats. I don't know if it has gotten worse in the last few years, as I don't ever remember this being an issue in the last decade.

I know i'm okay with the current temperature, but I know from experience that my wife and her girl friends are consistently frozen and complaining from the second they sit in their seats. I don't know if it has gotten worse in the last few years, as I don't ever remember this being an issue in the last decade.

Tell em to buy warmer clothes instead of whatever cheap crap they're getting on sale at TJ Maxx. 

Last game my son and I went to, our corner seats that I bought online at the end of the row just above the entrance from the concourse were literally blocking the stairs. So every time someone wanted to go past, I had to stand up. A rediculous configuration to shoe horn a few extra seats in. I have long legs so I always try to get end seats, but wouldn’t have bought those if I’d known.

Tell em to buy warmer clothes instead of whatever cheap crap they're getting on sale at TJ Maxx. 

At the prices they are charging, they can do more to make the audience area more comfortable yet keep ice quality decent.  The beat guys are pretty consistently saying that KBC is one of the 3 or so coldest arenas in the league.  It is colder than Calgary and Edmonton fer cripes sake.  It's bad enough the place is in need of repair and the team sucks.  They can make their paying guests comfortable.

It's interesting that our arena is talked about as unusually cold.

I mean - it's cold in there. I know that. And I plan accordingly.

Wasn't there some big roll-out with Ted Black and the world class quality of the facility's ice? I recall him talking about how the place was going to have to be colder in order to achieve the desired ice quality.

I've been to KBC 5 times this season. I have no real complaints.

It's a frickin' hockey arena. It's supposed to be cold. It's downright toasty compared to going to your local rink to watch beer league or kids play. You don't go to a hockey game to hang out in your shorts and tank tops. 

• Like (+1) 2

Sitting down causes your pants to have to stretch and compresses the fibers against your skin causing you to lose air insulation which results in being colder.  You are supposed to stand and feel warmer.

So tell everyone to stand... or I guess give them a reason to do so?

In seriousness though.  I was there for the last game against the Bruins.  We were sitting 1 row from the wall and it was chilly, but not cold.  I am fine if they up the temperature a bit but as d4rk said.. you show up wrapped up for winter and there's no place to put your coat so you might as well wear it.  Whatever they do they need to make sure the ice is in the best shape possible before they worry about the people watching the game.  Crappy ice will make no one want to watch the game.

It's interesting that our arena is talked about as unusually cold.

I mean - it's cold in there. I know that. And I plan accordingly.

Wasn't there some big roll-out with Ted Black and the world class quality of the facility's ice? I recall him talking about how the place was going to have to be colder in order to achieve the desired ice quality.

I've been to KBC 5 times this season. I have no real complaints.

Drier air was the need, not necessarily colder.  Although drier does feel colder.

I've been to KBC 0 times in the last 5ish years, so I'm only relating other people's comments.

Edited by We've

Sitting down causes your pants to have to stretch and compresses the fibers against your skin causing you to lose air insulation which results in being colder.  You are supposed to stand and feel warmer.

So tell everyone to stand... or I guess give them a reason to do so?

In seriousness though.  I was there for the last game against the Bruins.  We were sitting 1 row from the wall and it was chilly, but not cold.  I am fine if they up the temperature a bit but as d4rk said.. you show up wrapped up for winter and there's no place to put your coat so you might as well wear it.  Whatever they do they need to make sure the ice is in the best shape possible before they worry about the people watching the game.  Crappy ice will make no one want to watch the game.

Awesome. And I wonder if there is something to that. Seriously.

Screaming and cheering and clapping can also warm someone and the place up. Seriously.

Awesome. And I wonder if there is something to that. Seriously.

Screaming and cheering and clapping can also warm someone and the place up. Seriously.

Also, tight underwear can kill you.

I bet actually filling the area to capacity with warm bodies would help too. 

Actually, it has the opposite effect as the slight increase in the intake of oxygen and subsequent release of CO2 will raise the ambient air humidity (AAH) by a little, just .000001% of the body mass index, but it's enough to make it feel colder.

Am I doing this right?

Having been to Vegas and DC this hockey season, I think our arena is kind of dumpy.... The other arenas have glass and an open air feeling, mainly because they are located in a big city... I compare buffalo to Raleigh when it comes to arena setup, but I still think we lag behind

Having been to Vegas and DC this hockey season, I think our arena is kind of dumpy.... The other arenas have glass and an open air feeling, mainly because they are located in a big city... I compare buffalo to Raleigh when it comes to arena setup, but I still think we lag behind

Well, yeah - that is a hallmark of more recent arena and stadium developments. That was not so when the Crossroads Arena was built.

I frequent Staples Center and the Honda Center.     Last time I was at KBC was 2 years ago.

1 - KBC is dark.   Dark hallways, dark arena, dark concourses.  

2 - The angle of the seats is too shallow.... not steep enough.  It seems you're very far away from the ice even when sitting in the lower bowl (compared to SC/HC).   

3 - Temperature is on par with SC/HC... Staples is the coldest arena I've been in.   Dress accordingly. 

4 - KBC hallways/concourses are too narrow.    That said I still miss the days of running up and down the hallway ramps at The Aud to get up to the blues.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.