Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

We saw Dimitri Kulikov get $4 million this summer after we couldn’t trade him for a fourth in April.

But clearly there must be a strong sense that Kane comes with a stink playoff bound teams considered risky.

He has a chance to wash that off with a big playoff run, and I think he and San Jose will make out just fine with this deal.

This is why I had San Jose picked to take him all along. Because I look at their roster and I can only see Kane bringing upside to it, where a lot of other teams may not see that play out. The Sharks are slow and need scoring more than any other contender out west. Kane fits them well. 

Can someone please explain to me why Jbot should have walked away from this deal if this was the best one he could get?  I'm curious because I really can't think of a good reason.

Sure.  There was value in keeping his rights until July 1 (and possibly re-signing him), and there was value in not letting the rest of the league know that you're not able to play poker with the grownups yet.

Edited by Eleven

LOL @ this board.  I used to read all the time.  Came back for deadline day and it has gotten even worse than I remember. 

We got one guy yelling worst trade in Sabres history, and another arguing about his opinion mattering for some reason. I can think of 2 trades in the last couple years that are worse.

Have fun...

I suspect that any mistake that was made happened in November/December/January, when Kane usage changed.  In trying to fix the team, he was no longer put in the best possible position and his individual stats dropped way off.  I'm sure GMs took that as a sign of a bad attitude, which would fit with his off ice reputation.  Also, who wants to pay a lot for a "scorer" who has scored in months.  Apparently, 4 goals in 7 games recently wasn't enough to convince him that the real Kane is a true goal scorer.

THIS

Interesting that SJ didn't propose a contract as part of trade and then a condition of trade is they must sign him to give up a 1st --- I'll bet 99% chance Kane is rental and signs elsewhere

Hate this trade

There had to be more value out there, if not today, month ago

Rookie GM gets played

I can't see it any other way

There's no use in complaining over something that we have no control over

Actually, that wasn't my point.

My point was the buyer and the seller determine the true worth of an asset, not a bystander. I'm disappointed in the return. I will never insist he was worth substantially more because the actual buyers and the sellers proved that wasn't the case.

LOL @ this board.  I used to read all the time.  Came back for deadline day and it has gotten even worse than I remember. 

We got one guy yelling worst trade in Sabres history, and another arguing about his opinion mattering for some reason. I can think of 2 trades in the last couple years that are worse.

Have fun...

Well, it's far from that, at least.

Just awful.  This does not help in the short term and probably not in the long term.  Needed a first this year and/or a prospect that could play in the NHL.  Got neither.  Not sure if JB was played or if he turned down better deals before today, but it shows how much GMTM overvalued Kane.

For the record, if Kane does re-sign in SJ, I'm digging a first from them in 2019 moreso than 2018, there's a real chance they fall off a cliff.

SJS won't even offer him a contract.  There is no way they sign him.  

You turned a good player into nothing. A 2nd rd pick in 2019 has about a 30% chance of playlist 100 games in the NHL and about a 5% chance of being a top 6 player. A 4th pick in 2020, if we even get that pick, has about a 11% chance of making the NHL. Jacks old BU buddy is a JAG at best. We have 15 forwards just like him. Bottom line: we literally got almost nothing for Kane.

Show me a worse deal?

Since non-high picks are nothing, we also got nothing for Vanek except for a cap albatross currently playing on the AHL team for another organization, so for your parameters, the VANEK trade was the worst trade in franchise history.

Bad deal. I would rather they kept him and tried to sign him to an extension. 

Do they at least shed all of his salary for the rest of this season?

Appears that way, but not sure why that would matter?

They aren't in cap trouble at present, the owners are bajillionaires, & they aren't bringing in a high priced guy in the next 10 minutes.

Why would we continue to talk about something if our opinions don't matter then

That's pretty much every day here for everyone involved isn't it?

Our opinions don't matter when it comes to hockey business.  Our belief that we somehow know more than people in the business is what I would call fantasy sports.

The entirety of any deal take a long time to play out.  I don't believe it's wise to pass final judgment on this move.  On the surface it appears to be a less than stellar deal but that doesn't mean it really is a bad deal.  There are plenty of potential avenues this deal can take that will improve the overall value.  None of those avenues are going to play out in the next 4-6 months so it's really hard for people to be patient and see what happens.  I know, no one wants to be patient because this franchise has been losing.  I understand.  So be it.  Be mad about something you can't change then.

Also we have to consider that it was announced this is a rental. You don't see that very often.

Perhaps Evander Kane has made it absolutely clear where he wants to play in 2018-2019 and beyond. Perhaps its a done deal (say Vegas as an example)

If teams know this and Evander and his agent know this, why would they pay premium?

And why would the team that will sign him pay now when they can wait 5 months and sign Evander?

I bet the 2019 2nd round pick was the agreement. Botterill then negotiated this to be a conditional 1st to save a little face with ownership and the franchise.

Terry: Jason, why no 1st round pick For Evander?

Jason: Here Terry, I gave us a chance to get a 1st round pick.

Terry: OK Jason, thanks, at least we have some hope for a 1st.

Jason: Do you want some Mighty Taco I'm on my way now

Edited by (E5)