Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t believe this is historically accurate.

• The first caste comprises the two teams that get first-round byes. I cannot stress enough how much of an advantage a first-round bye provides. Every participant in the Super Bowl dating back to the 2012 season has been a team that got a first-round bye. Every Super Bowl that has taken place since the playoffs expanded to four rounds in 1979 has featured at least one team that had a first-round bye. Since 1990, teams with first-round byes have accounted for 112 of 336 total playoff spots—33.3 percent. These teams have accounted for 44 of 56 total Super Bowl spots—78.5 percent. Over the 28 seasons under the current playoff format, teams with first-round byes have had a 39.2 percent chance of making the Super Bowl.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/20/18149209/chargers-chiefs-patriots-divisions-playoff-format-first-round-bye

Kind of a chicken and the egg thing; do good teams have that success because they are just good or because of the bye, but either way it looks like it doesn't hurt

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Defense keeps you in games but Offense wins you Championships. #ModernNFL

I think the Super Bowl is the exception to this however. IIRC the team with a significantly better defense will beat that of a significantly better offense some absurd 90>% of the time.

There's a lot of articles like this one that explain it. I think a lot of it is that you get two weeks to prepare, and it's much easier to plan a defensive game than an offensive one

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/29/16926880/tenacious-d-does-defense-really-win-championships-adjusted-points-against-super-bowl

20 hours ago, WildCard said:

Actually surprised a bit by that. I thought I remembered it being statistically insignificant or even a disadvantage for a bit. Maybe just a few snake-bitten teams had trouble with the bye. I actually had the Eagles as a Wild Card team in my brain last year but they were not.

This is what I get for thinking I know more about the Wild Card than a guy named WildCard.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Where do you see that he is a "cast off"?

Did they retain him? no, he was cast off. Once again the Bills go back to the well they know regardless of its quality. Maybe they will get lucky and he is great but we've seen them constantly return to Carolina for things regardless of their effectiveness. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Did they retain him? no, he was cast off. Once again the Bills go back to the well they know regardless of its quality. Maybe they will get lucky and he is great but we've seen them constantly return to Carolina for things regardless of their effectiveness. 

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/heath-farwell

Retain him? He was employed by the Panthers as an assistant ST coach and got a promotion with the Bills. What exactly is the issue?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

https://www.panthers.com/team/coaches-roster/heath-farwell

Retain him? He was employed by the Panthers as an assistant ST coach and got a promotion with the Bills. What exactly is the issue?

I stated the issue. The Bills yet again went back to the Panthers for something. It is a pattern of behavior. They limit themselves. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

If he is good, and they know him well enough, why risk going for the unknown ? 

So companies should only ever hire people they know? Because by casting a wider net you can get to know someone who might be better. Again, it is a pattern of behavior. 

Further, you hire outside to increase your future pool. 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon it up. 

image.thumb.png.5afa747b256a87658ff193197b1822cc.png

Besides the Carolina connection, I like the hire as it is somebody fresh, not a retread hire. From the article it sounds like he is pretty hands on with the ST unit and actually had experience playing ST.

Better than a dinosaur with outdated schemes and an upgrade over Crossman. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So companies should only ever hire people they know? Because by casting a wider net you can get to know someone who might be better. Again, it is a pattern of behavior. 

Further, you hire outside to increase your future pool. 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon it up. 

or... you could decide to deal with facts:

Career history
As player:
As coach:

He was with the Panthers for one year. Leslie Frazier knows him from his playing days. McDermott and Beane have no history with him. But, hey - great points!

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, SDS said:

Career history
As player:
As coach:

He was with the Panthers for one year. Leslie Frazier knows him from his playing days. McDermott and Beane have no history with him. But, hey - great points!

Came here to post this. People complaining about the carolina connection didn't read past the headline

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will hire somone I know 10 times out of 10.  Working in an environment like I do (not fun), 99% of my work is done if I know the person won't wilt in a high pressure factory settings. New hires I'm unfamiliar with usually make it about 20% of the time.  Which would you do?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

Career history
As player:
As coach:

Okay, that's all you had to say. Instead you went with you "you could deal with facts".

You got people on here that don't deal with "facts" but hey, I like being held to a higher standard. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.