Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

And look, completion percentage on long throws, whatever. Jackson's WRs were routinely freaking HALTING in their routes while wide open for deep passes. They had to veer way out of the way to catch so many of them. 

Watching the guy play QB is ugly.

I wouldn't say it's useless. For example, some drops might be due to WRs failing at the catch point, and obviously those aren't on the QB. On the other hand, some drops are surely do to ball placement, which is on the QB. On the flip side, some WRs will catch balls that are thrown inaccurately. If you accept that a chunk of this stuff will wash out over time and distances (sort of like good/bad penalty calls...), then it's still a piece of the puzzle to look at. Y/A is actually one of my favorite stats in the NFL, but it is harder to evaluate in college because of system and competition diversity. I still think it's useful, but like any stat, should not be taken as truth in a vacuum.

And ball placement is probably the thing that Jackson does worst of all of these guys. 

I believe Jackson had the highest or second highest drop percentage with Rosen. 

I don't really care about that stat either - there were four games that stood out in my mind with Jackson. Some were against great teams like Clemson. But not only were his "stats" bad - he needed garbage time to pull them up to bad from his first three quarters. The dude shrinks when the opposing defenses are good (And how good was Mississippi State this year? that was another mediocre showing). 

And he doesn't keep his eyes downfield when he takes off, which is a no-no. 

But he and Allen need to show that they can throw accurately from the pocket, had chances to, and failed miserably, so I just don't waste my picks on them unless they really fall. 

I have him third, because I think he's better than the other guys, whose throwing motions I also hate (Rudolphs isn't that bad I guess). But he has far more accuracy than those guys. 

I think I mentioned in this thread though, that it does scream "strip-sack". 

Whoa whoa whoa now. I get the accuracy concerns, but this is not true. One of the reasons I bristle at him being called a "running quarterback" is because he does a great job at keeping his eyes up while improvising behind the line. It was an issue in his first year as a starter, but he showed tremendous development in this area.

Whoa whoa whoa now. I get the accuracy concerns, but this is not true. One of the reasons I bristle at him being called a "running quarterback" is because he does a great job at keeping his eyes up while improvising behind the line. It was an issue in his first year as a starter, but he showed tremendous development in this area.

I didn't see it in the 4-5 games I saw, but I'll concede if you're convinced. 

I gotsta go now but good talk True and Liger

Edited by Randall Flagg

Well yea, there is no golden goose for QB projections. And even with strongly correlated stats, there are going to be exceptions. 

Right, I would expect a QB's completion % to be lower if he threw more 20+ yard routes than another who had more 5-10 yarders.  So maybe's that's the case with Allen although I don't know for sure. Too many other factors as well including quality of receivers, opposition defenses, offensive schemes, weather, etc.

I didn't see it in the 4-5 games I saw, but I'll concede if you're convinced. 

I gotsta go now but good talk True and Liger

When he actually runs, no he doesn't keep his eyes downfield. When is rolls out or steps up in a broken pocket he absolutely does. He does drop his eyes until he's decided he's running. Up until that point he's thinking about throwing. I would say he is more likely to throw then run on plays where the pocket collapses. I will say that Jackson throwing to the sidelines within about 15yrds is not good. He overthrows or out throws his receivers. 

Right, I would expect a QB's completion % to be lower if he threw more 20+ yard routes than another who had more 5-10 yarders.  So maybe's that's the case with Allen although I don't know for sure. Too many other factors as well including quality of receivers, opposition defenses, offensive schemes, weather, etc.

Allen's footwork is terrible and he guns every pass because he has no touch. So you are either being overthrown or breaking your fingers. 

Mason Rudolph

Edited by SkuggaLiger

When he actually runs, no he doesn't keep his eyes downfield. When is rolls out or steps up in a broken pocket he absolutely does. He does drop his eyes until he's decided he's running. Up until that point he's thinking about throwing. I would say he is more likely to throw then run on plays where the pocket collapses. I will say that Jackson throwing to the sidelines within about 15yrds is not good. He overthrows or out throws his receivers. 

Allen's footwork is terrible and he guns every pass because he has no touch. So you are either being overthrown or breaking your fingers. 

Mason Rudolph

No touch at all ... 

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/957368682119806976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsportsnaut.com%2F2018%2F01%2Fwatch-josh-allen-shows-off-gorgeous-touch-on-td-pass-in-senior-bowl%2F

Oh I wanna play "gotcha" too. Quick say something that I can find a video on that disproves the thing you said!

Great, he had some touch on one throw to the back of the endzone. 

Oh I wanna play "gotcha" too. Quick say something that I can find a video on that disproves the thing you said!

Great, he had some touch on one throw to the back of the endzone. 

You made it sound like he has no touch at all. Obviously, the potential is there or the scouts wouldn't have him rated so highly. 

He doesn't have great touch. Especially on short throws. There's quite a few he just over throws. 

Jackson and Allen both in this video

Most scouts have Allen rated ahead of Jackson - not all, but most. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760136-2018-nfl-draft-trade-rumors-bills-targeting-top-10-pick-they-like-josh-allen

Im very aware of where scouts rank Allen. I don't agree with them. He's got a big arm and scouts think that's great. He makes bad decisions, he doesn't consistently throw from a strong base, he panics in the pocket, he stares down receivers. Scouts like him for 2 reasons. He is their ideal size. He has their ideal arm. 

Im very aware of where scouts rank Allen. I don't agree with them. He's got a big arm and scouts think that's great. He makes bad decisions, he doesn't consistently throw from a strong base, he panics in the pocket, he stares down receivers. Scouts like him for 2 reasons. He is their ideal size. He has their ideal arm. 

I'd wager that the scouts have every piece of game footage available of both Jackson and Allen. I also have to believe that the Bills' scouts will do their due diligence on all QBs available and be prepared to make the correct decision for the team. With that being said, if we don't trade up and Allen falls to 21/22, I'd be taking him. But he won't make it that far down. My opinion only. 

I'd wager that the scouts have every piece of game footage available of both Jackson and Allen. I also have to believe that the Bills' scouts will do their due diligence on all QBs available and be prepared to make the correct decision for the team. With that being said, if we don't trade up and Allen falls to 21/22, I'd be taking him. But he won't make it that far down. My opinion only.

I hope he doesn't because at 21 I wouldn't touch him. He's not good and needs 2 years behind a vet at least.

Idc what the pundits making mocks think. Allen isn't good. For every highlight there's 3 plays where you say wtf.

I hope he doesn't because at 21 I wouldn't touch him. He's not good and needs 2 years behind a vet at least.

Idc what the pundits making mocks think. Allen isn't good. For every highlight there's 3 plays where you say wtf.

You mean like Aaron Rodgers ? 

Edited by Gramps

You mean like Aaron Rodgers ? 

Idk if Aaron Rogers looked like Allen pre draft. I didn't follow football drafts as much.

Rodgers was projected to be the top pick. Obviously he wasn't picked there, but he was highly regarded

And just because he sat for two years, behind a HoF QB, doesn't mean he needed to. It also doesn't mean Rodgers Sits => HoF, so Allen Sits => Is Rodgers

Rodgers was projected to be the top pick. Obviously he wasn't picked there, but he was highly regarded

And just because he sat for two years, behind a HoF QB, doesn't mean he needed to. It also doesn't mean Rodgers Sits => HoF, so Allen Sits => Is Rodgers

Replace Allen's name with anyone in this year's draft and some have Allen as the top pick. 

Huh?

I don't think any of the QBs selected in the 1st round this year will be starting right away so they'll be sitting just like Rodgers did.. And you said Rodgers was projected as the top pick - by some I'm sure all - not all. Allen is also projected by some to be the top pick.

I don't think any of the QBs selected in the 1st round this year will be starting right away so they'll be sitting just like Rodgers did.. And you said Rodgers was projected as the top pick - by some I'm sure all - not all. Allen is also projected by some to be the top pick.

So Allen is Rodgers?

Because it's luck

Credit to True, he's been saying the QB process is luck for years now, and he's right. Figure I should give him some credit here, seeing as he's rarely correct

Allen could very well be Rodgers in a few years. Who knows ? Did you think Dak Prescott would be as good as he is now ? 

The answer is no one knows until they hit the NFL and some envision Allen as the next Elway. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.