Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Kyle Lauletta anyone?

Todd McShay of ESPN thinks either Luke Falk of Washington State or Kyle Lauletta of Richmond could fit the bill for New England somewhere after the top 30 picks. McShay says: “Highly driven, very intelligent, accurate passers who both lived in the pocket, very good at going through their progressions. Lauletta has a slightly bigger arm, and he was impressive in how he carried himself at the Senior Bowl.”

The Senior Bowl is where each man got noticed. In 2014, A.J. McCarron dropped out of the Senior Bowl, and the first alternate at quarterback was Garoppolo, who hustled to Mobile after playing in the East-West game the previous Saturday. By week’s end, writing about the 10 most impressive in Senior Bowl practices, former NFL safety Matt Bowen listed Garoppolo as his most impressive player of the week. In 2018, Lauletta was an unheralded FCS player behind the more storied Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. But Lauletta was the Senior Bowl’s biggest star, completing eight of 12 passes for 198 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. Eric Edholm of Pro Football Weekly wrote about Lauletta at the Senior Bowl, and Lauletta told Edholm he’s been compared to Garoppolo a lot, and thinks he’d fit with the Patriots because he “processes information well.”

Comparing the numbers between the two:

Jimmy Garoppolo 2014 Kyle Lauletta 2018 School Eastern Illinois Richmond Level of play FCS (I-AA) FCS (I-AA) Height 6-2 ¼ 6-2 ½ Weight 226 217 Arm length 31.00 30.75 Hand size 9.25 inches 9.62 inches 40 times 4.97 seconds 4.85 (estimated) Accuracy 62.8% career 63.5% career Draft pick 63rd overall TBD

Whoever the Patriots pick—assuming it’s a draft choice they use to pick their long-term development quarterback and heir to Brady—you can bet Josh McDaniels will have a lot to say about the process. It’s McDaniels whose head-coaching prospects could be tied most closely to whoever succeeds Brady.

He does have swagger. 

On deck today is looking at Josh Rosen. I might look at Lauletta tomorrow.  To be honest if you want a Lauletta or a Falk, trade back in the 2nd and pick up and extra 3rd. Draft whoever is there. Still take a QB in the 1st. 

Rosen: The nice thing about Rosen is he looks like a pro QB. He drops well, steps up and throws well. He throws with velocity, is accurate, and on intermediate and short throws looks good. I think his long throws over the top are meh. Honestly Jackson and Rudolph have better placement on deep balls.  Rosen does have good placement though when he throws from the pocket. Back shoulder, tight windows, whatever. He will hit his guy. He also has some little shoulder fakes and scouts talk about how often he looks off defenders. This all means he can open guys up. He can ran and is marginally fast for a QB. Occasionally if he gets flushed from the pocket he does dumb things. I would also say he is way way worse than Jackson at throwing on the run. I didn't see Rudolph throw on the run a lot so can't say much in comparison. 

Rosen look the most like a pro QB. He has good footwork. He can make reads. His touch on short and intermediate passes is good. Good pocket awareness. I don't like him if the pocket breaks down and he is forced to roll out. I think he makes really bad decisions at times to try and get a big play. His arm is good. Better than Rudolph but on par with Jackson. I think Jackson has a little more but Rosen has better footwork and mechanics. You will need to get to either #1 or #2 to get him. Rumor is that would be both firsts, maybe a 2nd and a roster player (Cordy Glenn's name is out there). With the number of holes on this team, idk if it is worth it. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Not getting the Jackson love, or claims of accuracy. He and Allen have the worst accuracy of the group and it's not close.

Seriously. If I had a nickel for every time one of Jackson's wide open receivers had to slow way the up or alter their course heavily to get under a ball I'd be rich. I'm honestly floored that you guys are saying that about him.

Baker has the best accuracy of the group. If he can read a defense he'll be a top 7 QB in the league. No one knows if he or anyone else can do that at this level though, that's the fun part.

Not getting the Jackson love, or claims of accuracy. He and Allen have the worst accuracy of the group and it's not close.

Seriously. If I had a nickel for every time one of Jackson's wide open receivers had to slow way the ###### up or alter their course heavily to get under a ball I'd be rich. I'm honestly floored that you guys are saying that about him.

Baker has the best accuracy of the group. If he can read a defense he'll be a top 7 QB in the league. No one knows if he or anyone else can do that at this level though, that's the fun part.

I don't think reading defenses is his issue. For me, his issue is abysmal footwork 

I'm staring at 3 scouting reports right now, that are ones that drool over Jackson, and even they say the dude just has to get more accurate if he's going to be an NFL QB.

Remember EJ Manuel?

QBs don't just "get more accurate". 

Accuracy is the most important thing. If you want an accuracy and footwork and pocket presence combo, you probably want Rosen.

I don't think reading defenses is his issue. For me, his issue is abysmal footwork 

The footwork is definitely a valid concern.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Seriously. If I had a nickel for every time one of Jackson's wide open receivers had to slow way the ###### up or alter their course heavily to get under a ball I'd be rich. I'm honestly floored that you guys are saying that about him.

Mayfield has some issues. His throwing mechanics are off at times. He doesn't always set right. Needs footwork improvement. Highly competitive and very creative though. I like Mayfield but he won't be available at 21. I don't think he will last past 6. 

Jackson is actually close to the rest of the group. Mayfield being an exception to everyone. 

All stats from last season

Rosen: 62.6%

Jackson: 59%

Mayfield: 70.5%

Rudolph: 65%

Darnold: 63.1%

Allen: 56.3%

Class average is 62.75%. If you remove Allen and Mayfield as the outliers, average is 62.43%

I'm staring at 3 scouting reports right now, that are ones that drool over Jackson, and even they say the dude just has to get more accurate if he's going to be an NFL QB.

Remember EJ Manuel?

Accuracy is the most important thing. If you want an accuracy and footwork and pocket presence combo, you probably want Rosen.

I think most of us do. Just not sure it's feasible to move high enough to draft him.

To be fair, I don't think most of us love Jackson in an absolute sense (okay, I kinda do, but I'd still take Rosen or Mayfield over him); it's mostly about options under the assumption we can't get Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold (whom I don't want anyway). 

Rosen

Mayfield

Jackson

Darnold

Rudolph

Allen

That's my list.

Mayfield has some issues. His throwing mechanics are off at times. He doesn't always set right. Needs footwork improvement. Highly competitive and very creative though. I like Mayfield but he won't be available at 21. I don't think he will last past 6. 

Jackson is actually close to the rest of the group. Mayfield being an exception to everyone. 

All stats from last season

Rosen: 62.6%

Jackson: 59%

Mayfield: 70.5%

Rudolph: 65%

Darnold: 63.1%

Allen: 56.3%

Class average is 62.75%. If you remove Allen and Mayfield as the outliers, average is 62.43%

I basically throw away completion percentage in college, I think it's offense-dependent and not QB-dependent. EJ Manuel is another classic example. So I don't even think those numbers are knocks against Allen and Jackson, it's watching them where the trouble begins. From the pocket their accuracy is just plain not good enough and I will not ever rely on someone IMPROVING that when the defenses are far, far better at this level and the time you get to make decisions and throw disappears. 

And Rudolph too - it's a great completion percentage because all he had to do was throw within 30 feet of a wide open Washington and Washington caught it. 

Man, I wish our only hole was at WR so we could grab that guy.

I think most of us do. Just not sure it's feasible to move high enough to draft him.

To be fair, I don't think most of us love Jackson in an absolute sense (okay, I kinda do, but I'd still take Rosen or Mayfield over him); it's mostly about options under the assumption we can't get Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold (whom I don't want anyway). 

Rosen

Mayfield

Jackson

Darnold

Rudolph

Allen

That's my list.

Drop Jackson and Allen and Rudolph entirely (unless it's round 3) and you've got mine haha.

I won't kill the bills for drafting any of them, because it's time to address the position, but if I were GM, it would be doing anything it takes to get up in the top 4 and get one of the big 3. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Remember EJ Manuel?

Of course you do. Rosen is better than Jackson. Rosen won't be there at #3.  Hard to get up to #1 or #2.

I wish I could find drop percentages. I know jackson's WR weren't good even though that doesn't explain everything. Now you ready for this fun, EJ Manuel had a 68% completion percentage his senior year. 9% higher than Jackson and 5.4% higher than Rosen. 

I basically throw away completion percentage in college, I think it's offense-dependent and not QB-dependent. EJ Manuel is another classic example. So I don't even think those numbers are knocks against Allen and Jackson, it's watching them where the trouble begins. From the pocket their accuracy is just plain not good enough and I will not ever rely on someone IMPROVING that when the defenses are far, far better at this level and the time you get to make decisions and throw disappears. 

And Rudolph too - it's a great completion percentage because all he had to do was throw within 30 feet of a wide open Washington and Washington caught it. 

Drop Jackson and Allen and Rudolph entirely (unless it's round 3) and you've got mine haha.

I won't kill the bills for drafting any of them, because it's time to address the position, but if I were GM, it would be doing anything it takes to get up in the top 4 and get one of the big 3. 

Do you really like Darnold that much? Guy is super raw and a turnover machine, with the worst throwing motion I've seen since Byron Leftwich.

I have almost no interest in Sam Darnold. 

I also disagree on your assessment of Jackson. 

Do you really like Darnold that much? Guy is super raw and a turnover machine, with the worst throwing motion I've seen since Byron Leftwich.

Here is SOMEONE doing his Darnold impression. 

giphy.gif

Here's Darnold highlights. Watch his arm motion. 

I like Jackson because when I watch him, he is almost always under pressure, his WR suck, and he still managed to throw for more yards than EJ Manuel ever did. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Of course you do. Rosen is better than Jackson. Rosen won't be there at #3.  Hard to get up to #1 or #2.

I wish I could find drop percentages. I know jackson's WR weren't good even though that doesn't explain everything. Now you ready for this fun, EJ Manuel had a 68% completion percentage his senior year. 9% higher than Jackson and 5.4% higher than Rosen. 

Completion %s don't mean a lot unless you also look at the distances the passes were thrown. 

Out of J. Allen, Darnold, Falk, Ferguson, Jackson, Mayfield, Rosen, Rudolph, and White (nine QBs in total), which two would you guess were the least accurate beyond 20 yards in my charting?

Answers: Darnold and Rosen. Allen/Falk were good guesses, they are very close to the bottom.

Jackson is a fine deep passer, honestly. The high/low extremes of his ball placement down the field makes for a weird eval. Plenty capable, you are just going to be really mad with some of the misses.

Derrik Klassen Retweeted Seth Murphy

Jackson is middle-of-the-pack for 11-15 and 16-20, just like 20+. 1-5 is his worst area, relative to the other QBs. 6-10 his best; one of the top QBs there.

Let's look at yards per completion. 

Rosen: 8.5yrds

Jackson: 8.5yrds

Allen: 6.7yrds

Darnold: 8.6yrds

Mayfield: 11.5yrds

Rudolph: 10.03yrds

Even that is misleading as it doesn't tell you the actual length of the pass since it includes yards after the catch. 

Just says passing yards per attempt. Not sure how they calculate it. I wonder if incompletes are counted as 0 yards for the attempt. 

They are.

Even that is misleading as it doesn't tell you the actual length of the pass since it includes yards after the catch. 

This is what I was getting at though. I know what I want exists for the NFL, but I honestly have no idea if it does for college.

They are.

This is what I was getting at though. I know what I want exists for the NFL, but I honestly have no idea if it does for college.

I bet someone has it but I don't think it is just available. 

If drops are 0 yards that's useless then. I already know that Jackson's WR had drops. I heard it was something like 11% 

I bet someone has it but I don't think it is just available. 

If drops are 0 yards that's useless then. I already know that Jackson's WR had drops. I heard it was something like 11% 

I wouldn't say it's useless. For example, some drops might be due to WRs failing at the catch point, and obviously those aren't on the QB. On the other hand, some drops are surely do to ball placement, which is on the QB. On the flip side, some WRs will catch balls that are thrown inaccurately. If you accept that a chunk of this stuff will wash out over time and distances (sort of like good/bad penalty calls...), then it's still a piece of the puzzle to look at. Y/A is actually one of my favorite stats in the NFL, but it is harder to evaluate in college because of system and competition diversity. I still think it's useful, but like any stat, should not be taken as truth in a vacuum.

I believe Jackson had the highest or second highest drop percentage with Rosen. 

I don't really care about that stat either - there were four games that stood out in my mind with Jackson. Some were against great teams like Clemson. But not only were his "stats" bad - he needed garbage time to pull them up to bad from his first three quarters. The dude shrinks when the opposing defenses are good (And how good was Mississippi State this year? that was another mediocre showing). 

And he doesn't keep his eyes downfield when he takes off, which is a no-no. 

But he and Allen need to show that they can throw accurately from the pocket, had chances to, and failed miserably, so I just don't waste my picks on them unless they really fall. 

I have him third, because I think he's better than the other guys, whose throwing motions I also hate (Rudolphs isn't that bad I guess). But he has far more accuracy than those guys. 

I think I mentioned in this thread though, that it does scream "strip-sack". 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.