Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

I will hire somone I know 10 times out of 10.  Working in an environment like I do (not fun), 99% of my work is done if I know the person won't wilt in a high pressure factory settings. New hires I'm unfamiliar with usually make it about 20% of the time.  Which would you do?

To be fair, just about any Assistant ST coach in the NFL for a couple years has probably proven that.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, that's all you had to say. Instead you went with you "you could deal with facts".

You got people on here that don't deal with "facts" but hey, I like being held to a higher standard. 

My apologies. My post was unnecessarily snarky. This certainly isn't an issue any one of us should be worked up over. 

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

Hire a retread rather than someone who had done a fantastic job this year?  Sounds Billsy.  

Huh? The Colts' OL was excellent this year. And I thought he did a good job with Chan Gailey, given the complete lack of talent he had to work with in 2010 and 2011.

2 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Huh? The Colts' OL was excellent this year. And I thought he did a good job with Chan Gailey, given the complete lack of talent he had to work with in 2010 and 2011.

So they should have went after the OL coach.  I'm guessing the success of the Colts' O-line was dictated more by the actual OL coach rather than the assistant.    

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

So they should have went after the OL coach.  I'm guessing the success of the Colts' O-line was dictated more by the actual OL coach rather than the assistant.    

Dave DeGuglielmo? Maybe they already knew he wouldn't take the job in Buffalo. Maybe Bobby Johnson did play a big role in improving the Colts' OL. Maybe he learned a lot there that he can use to help build the OL in Buffalo. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation. I'm not getting worked up over an offensive line coach hire.

1 minute ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Dave DeGuglielmo? Maybe they already knew he wouldn't take the job in Buffalo. Maybe Bobby Johnson did play a big role in improving the Colts' OL. Maybe he learned a lot there that he can use to help build the OL in Buffalo. Anyway, I'm done with this conversation. I'm not getting worked up over an offensive line coach hire.

Neither am I and I do realize there are many factors in play as you pointed out.  I'm not dismissing him as a possible beneficial hire.  Just pointing out the fact that the Colts let their successful OL coach go and the Bills hired the assistant instead.  

13 hours ago, WildCard said:

Been purusing the r/nfl subreddit and holy hell, I know we've all lived through it and what not but honestly the Patriots dominance is astounding

Great O-Lines.  They know how to find players we don't.  Their O-line has no player starting drafted above the 3rd round.  Their starting C is David Andrews, a very solid player at Georgia, who went undrafted.  He was their starter in year 1.  

We have exactly one returning decent O lineman and we don't know where Dawkins should be playing.  We have 80 mill in cap space (Which is an amazing accomplishment by Beane) and 10 draft picks.  The Bills priority this off-season is to replace Kyle Williams and find 4 good O lInemen who can work together to keep Allen upright.  That's it.  WR, RB, TE can all come later.  Fix the lines and you fix the team.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Great O-Lines.  They know how to find players we don't.  Their O-line has no player starting drafted above the 3rd round.  Their starting C is David Andrews, a very solid player at Georgia, who went undrafted.  He was their starter in year 1.  

We have exactly one returning decent O lineman and we don't know where Dawkins should be playing.  We have 80 mill in cap space and 10 draft picks.  The Bills priority this off-season is to replace Kyle Williams and find 4 good O lInemen who can work together to keep Allen upright.  That's it.  WR, RB, TE can all come later.  Fix the lines and you fix the team.  

I mean it's that but it's a ton more too. They've constructed the perfect NFL organization, it's insane. When I get home tonight I'll post some stats about their dynasty, it's beyone impressive

Just now, WildCard said:

I mean it's that but it's a ton more too. They've constructed the perfect NFL organization, it's insane. When I get home tonight I'll post some stats about their dynasty, it's beyone impressive

You are correct.  They know how to find players and they keep rotating them through the organization and they get them through the draft, undrafted rookies, FAs, and trades.  They almost always get it right.  Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, David Andrews, Gronk, Brady, etc....

I've never looked over their drafts, but I wonder how their hit % compares to the the average NFL team.  It seems like it's double.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are correct.  They know how to find players and they keep rotating them through the organization and they get them through the draft, undrafted rookies, FAs, and trades.  They almost always get it right.  Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, David Andrews, Gronk, Brady, etc....

I've never looked over their drafts, but I wonder how their hit % compares to the the average NFL team.  It seems like it's double.

That's the most wild part. Every single fan of an AFC team knows exactly what the Patriots are going to do, and yet they do it anyways.

Tom Brady is legitimately the best QB of all time against zone defense. So what does Gus Bradley and the Chargers do? Plays an entire game of zone defense against them. How in the hell, after 20 years of this, do you make that call if you're LA?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That's the most wild part. Every single fan of an AFC team knows exactly what the Patriots are going to do, and yet they do it anyways.

Tom Brady is legitimately the best QB of all time against zone defense. So what does Gus Bradley and the Chargers do? Plays an entire game of zone defense against them. How in the hell, after 20 years of this, do you make that call if you're LA?

And Brady and company lined up in the I and rushed Georgia's Sony Michel for 155 yards because of the gaps in the zone in addition to chewing them up passing.  

By the way, I'm praying the Bills draft Holyfield.  He is the perfect change up to McCoy and could be a better pro player then college player.  Did you know Geogia has had 4 different RBs rush for 1000+ the last 2 seasons (Michel, Chubb, Swift and Holyfield).  All Chubb did was rush for 996 yards despite only getting 16 carries in the first 6 weeks (G-D Cleveland is stupid).  Michel added 931 for the Pats so far in only 13 games. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 hours ago, WildCard said:

Been purusing the r/nfl subreddit and holy hell, I know we've all lived through it and what not but honestly the Patriots dominance is astounding

That franchise's run of excellence is, I think, the most impressive and mind-boggling thing to have happened in modern American sports.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have exactly one returning decent O lineman and we don't know where Dawkins should be playing.  We have 80 mill in cap space (Which is an amazing accomplishment by Beane) and 10 draft picks.  The Bills priority this off-season is to replace Kyle Williams and find 4 good O lInemen who can work together to keep Allen upright.  That's it.  WR, RB, TE can all come later.  Fix the lines and you fix the team.  

I am sure there's an element of this that has to do with identifying good personnel.

But I think this is more a function of (1) having a QB who has done and seen it all, processes on an extremely high level, and can therefore check to the right play, and get the ball out in a timely manner ...

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

... and (2) the coaching staff in NE works harder and better than any coaching staff in the league in terms of getting players taught and prepared.

The Pardon My Take podcast had a NE alum on within the past year. I can't recall who. Someone who has been in many NFL locker rooms, buildings, etc. And he was unequivocal: A big part of NE's excellence is that they just work harder than other teams. And that extends to every part of the season and off-season. It's like a dirty, poorly kept secret that no one likes to talk about.

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They don’t worry about scheme.  They worry about fundamentals according to an article on the Athletic.  

Hmm.

Eric Mangini was on the same podcast talking about how, among the remaining playoff teams, the thing about NE's defense (that can make it so difficult to deal with that at this time of year) is that the coaching staff is so intense and sophisticated that they can basically install a whole new defense from week to week -- not merely tweak what they've been doing.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hmm.

Eric Mangini was on the same podcast talking about how, among the remaining playoff teams, the thing about NE's defense (that can make it so difficult to deal with that at this time of year) is that the coaching staff is so intense and sophisticated that they can basically install a whole new defense from week to week -- not merely tweak what they've been doing.

Yeah I'm going to disagree with you GA. I've heard a ton of NE alumni go on that podcast and true, they work on fundamentals, but what they all say is not only are they going to outwork you physically, but mentally as well with the scheme. They are going to go through all of the film work and see that if you're left tackle's outside foot is positioned a certain way, it's a run, else it's a pass

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

They also cheat a ***** ton. Cheating helps.

They've also been collecting 5-6 easy wins every year against two of the most historically incompetent franchises in pro football (Bills and Jets) plus another that has been a joke since Shula and Marino left.

This is a fair counterpoint -- that being in the AFC East has artificially inflated the Patriots' win totals.

I don't doubt for a second that every NFL franchise pushes the envelope, as best they can, in terms of getting "competitive intelligence" on their opponents. My sense is that, as with all other facets of preparation, Belichick & Co. just do it ... better (and more) than everyone else.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a fair counterpoint -- that being in the AFC East has artificially inflated the Patriots' win totals.

I don't doubt for a second that every NFL franchise pushes the envelope, as best they can, in terms of getting "competitive intelligence" on their opponents. My sense is that, as with all other facets of preparation, Belichick & Co. just do it ... better (and more) than everyone else.

I always find it weird that everyone is doing it, yet somehow only one team has been caught. Twice. Funny, that. 

I think Belichick is the best coach of all time and Brady is one of the 3 best QBs of all time irrespective of any...ahem...extracurriculars. But getting caught cheating twice to the tune of over a million dollars in fines and a 4 game suspension shouldn't be so easily brushed aside. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.