Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Wait what lol. Thought you were saying you don't want to pass on a skilled guy for a fat guy all thing being equal

I just don't want to miss out on the best WR in the draft to select the 5th best fat guy especially if he's marginally better than the 10th best fat guy. So, in summary, take the BPA.  

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I just don't want to miss out on the best WR in the draft to select the 5th best fat guy especially if he's marginally better than the 10th best fat guy. So, in summary, take the BPA.  

Fair enough and yeah BPA for the NFL draft is probably you're best bet. I honestly can't remember the last time there was a clear cut best WR that turned out to be that good in the NFL though. I would think the last time an NFL team really got that right was Julio Jones

Edit: I was wrong, AJ Green was taken before Julio in that draft

Edited by WildCard

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Fair enough and yeah BPA for the NFL draft is probably you're best bet. I honestly can't remember the last time there was a clear cut best WR that turned out to be that good in the NFL though. I would think the last time an NFL team really got that right was Julio Jones

My dream scenario is the Bills drafting the best OL they can in the first, sign a proven vet, draft the best WR next and trade for the best WR on the block. 

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

My dream scenario is the Bills drafting the best OL they can in the first, sign a proven vet, draft the best WR next and trade for the best WR on the block. 

If that's what you want then we can trade down to 20 and probably still get that guy. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Disagree. I think the best linemen are at the top, and wr's/rb's can be found anywhere

RBs can definitely be found. But WRs, not so much. The only stud WRs I can think of who were found anywhere are Antonio Brown and Adam Thielen. Everyone else that comes to mind was at the top. I would also argue that the win probability added models generally have WR as one of the few positions that can add a full win, while linemen can't. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

RBs can definitely be found. But WRs, not so much. The only stud WRs I can think of who were found anywhere are Antonio Brown and Adam Thielen. Everyone else that comes to mind was at the top. I would also argue that the win probability added models generally have WR as one of the few positions that can add a full win, while linemen can't. 

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm struggling to find any other WR than Brown (forgot about Thielen) that was a later pick.

Linemen individually maybe cannot according to those models, but as a unit and their indirect affect on the game has to be greater than any individual WR, or any WR corps for that matter.

Some cool facts about the season

- This is the 1st year since the 1987 season, when the 16 game schedule was implemented, that no team went exactly .500

- Deandre Hopkins had 115 catches this season, and 0 drops

- Baker Mayfield broke Manning and Wilson's' rookie record for touchdowns in a season with 27 (previous was 26)

- Mahomes is the 2nd QB in history to throw for 50+ td and 5000+ yds in a season. The other? Peyton Manning

- Mahomes is also the 2nd QB in history to throw for 4000+ yds, 35+ td, and run for 250+ yds in their sophomore season. The other? Blake Bortles

- Mahomes and Roethlisberger recorded 5000+ yards in a single season for only the 10th and 11th time in NFL history (5097 and 5129). This has only been done by 5 other players; Marino, Brady, Brees, Manning, and Matt Stafford. Marino was the 1st in 1984, and it would not happen again until Brees did it in 2008. Brees is the only one to have accomplished this feat more than once, in fact he's done it 5 times. 

- For the 53rd time (every NFL season) the NFL's leader in passing yards failed to win the Super Bowl. This year that award went to Ben Roethlisberger. In fact, no QB who has thrown for 5000+ yds in the regular season has ever won the Super Bowl in that same season

- Travis Kelce broke the all time record for receiving yards in a single season (previously held by Gronk) with 1336. Less than an hour later, George Kittle broke that record again with 1377

- Zach Ertz set the single season record for receptions by a TE with 116 receptions, beating his childhood hero's record of 112 held by Jason Witten

- The Bengals finally fired Marvin Lewis after 16 seasons. The last time they fired a HC, they were swept by the Browns in the regular season. They wouldn't be swept by Cleveland again until 2018, when they would again fire a HC

- Redskins punter Tress Way allowed 0 touchbacks this season on 79 attempts, with 41 of those falling within the 20 yard line. 

- Nick Foles tied the mark for most consecutive completions with 25 on Sunday vs the Redskins. Only Rivers and Tannehill had hit that mark before, with only Rivers doing it in a single game

- Tyler Lockett finished the season with a perfect score of 158.3 QB rating when being targeted

- Lamar Jackson will be the youngest QB ever to start a playoff game

- After posting a 6-10 record in 2018 and a 5-11 record in 2017, the Denver Broncos have now had consecutive losing seasons for the first time since 1972

- The Colts are the 3rd team in NFL history to start 1-5 and still make the playoffs after finishing 10-6 this season. The other two being the 1970 Bengals and the 2015 Chiefs. 

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

There has been a lot of interesting analysis on this.  The consensus is that the NFL draft is almost always rich enough that trading down is nearly always the better play. 

If anyone’s interested in this, Noble prize winning economist Richard Thaler shows in his book Misbehaving that it makes far more sense from an assist acquisition stand point. The book is worth reading for anything interested in behavioral economics or psychology. 

2 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

If anyone’s interested in this, Noble prize winning economist Richard Thaler shows in his book Misbehaving that it makes far more sense from an assist acquisition stand point. The book is worth reading for anything interested in behavioral economics or psychology. 

I think I've read excepts from that book.  Pretty sure, in fact.

9 hours ago, Weave said:

There has been a lot of interesting analysis on this.  The consensus is that the NFL draft is almost always rich enough that trading down is nearly always the better play. 

It's safe to assume that most teams trading up are, to at least some degree, emphasizing need over BPA.  They want specific players for specific positions.  As such, they tend to overpay on a value-basis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.