Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

2 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

A couple interesting stats:

1. Buffalo's defense is currently #1 in the NFL in yards allowed per game. This is a VERY flawed defense, but it's still a big improvement from last year.

2. Josh Allen is currently the #1 rushing QB in the NFL with 490 yards. He has 3 games to pass Tyrod Taylor's 580 yards in 2016 for the franchise's QB rushing yards record.

On the great Josh Allen debate: it's completely pointless right now. I just don't see how anyone can be highly confident one way or the other on whether he is a franchise QB. The best we can do during this first year is point out his good plays and his bad ones. I will be very disappointed, however, if I don't see substantial improvement in his throwing mechanics and his decision-making by September.

They might be 1st in yards allowed, but they're 20th in points allowed. 

17 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

They might be 1st in yards allowed, but they're 20th in points allowed. 

Correct, but that of course is not a purely defensive statistic. If you took away the Peterman pick sixes and the terrible field position that our unusually awful offense and special teams gave this defense, they'd probably be closer to that #10 ranking. But I don't mean to completely excuse the shortcomings of this defense. They are objectively awful in red zone defense and painfully mediocre in pass rushing from the front 4.

33 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Correct, but that of course is not a purely defensive statistic. If you took away the Peterman pick sixes and the terrible field position that our unusually awful offense and special teams gave this defense, they'd probably be closer to that #10 ranking. But I don't mean to completely excuse the shortcomings of this defense. They are objectively awful in red zone defense and painfully mediocre in pass rushing from the front 4.

It'd be interesting to find out if part of that is the (presumably) good drive starts teams are getting against the Bills' sub-mediocre offense. Your D can be good in yards per game if the opposing team only has to go 40-50 yards each possession to score. ?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Team needs for 2019:

--4 or 5 OL

--TE 

--2 or 3 WR

--DT (I'm assuming Williams will retire)

--possibly RB

That's a lot of work.

No way they get an entire new OL. I can see two maybe three if they make the commitment. TE & RB don't need to be high draft picks, I'd rather they find a good FA tight end. Draft a couple WR, one early one late and sign the best one you can get in town. 

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

No way they get an entire new OL. I can see two maybe three if they make the commitment. TE & RB don't need to be high draft picks, I'd rather they find a good FA tight end. Draft a couple WR, one early one late and sign the best one you can get in town. 

I don't imagine they can address all of it in the draft.

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

It'd be interesting to find out if part of that is the (presumably) good drive starts teams are getting against the Bills' sub-mediocre offense. Your D can be good in yards per game if the opposing team only has to go 40-50 yards each possession to score. ?

Yes, that's likely true. If the Bills had mediocre offense and special teams units instead of God-awful ones, I bet the defense would be closer to about 10th overall in both yards/game and points/game. That's why I consider the D to be above average but definitely not elite.

Here's the starting positions the Bills need to upgrade: 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 G, 1 C, 1 T, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1 SOLB, 1 CB....that's TWELVE new starters for next year! It can be done with the $90+ million in cap space and 10 draft picks, but we're definitely not getting All-Pros at all 12 of these positions. I'd settle for just average at a bunch of them. That would be a substantial improvement for some of these positions on offense.

3 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Yes, that's likely true. If the Bills had mediocre offense and special teams units instead of God-awful ones, I bet the defense would be closer to about 10th overall in both yards/game and points/game. That's why I consider the D to be above average but definitely not elite.

Here's the starting positions the Bills need to upgrade: 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 G, 1 C, 1 T, 1 DE, 1 DT, 1 SOLB, 1 CB....that's TWELVE new starters for next year! It can be done with the $90+ million in cap space and 10 draft picks, but we're definitely not getting All-Pros at all 12 of these positions. I'd settle for just average at a bunch of them. That would be a substantial improvement for some of these positions on offense.

You are looking at 3 maybe 4 at most starters from the draft, that leaves 8-9 UFA signing with the Bills. When the last time ANY team did that let alone the Bills?

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Johnson has been alright

I love Taron and think he'll be a better player than Edmunds, but he's a nickle corner, no? Is there a difference? Can you just plug him in on the outside and have him deal with the tall 2WRs just fine? And even then, you always need to grab depth corners. 

I just sorta pictured him covering tiny slot WRs for a reason

48 minutes ago, inkman said:

You are looking at 3 maybe 4 at most starters from the draft, that leaves 8-9 UFA signing with the Bills. When the last time ANY team did that let alone the Bills?

I don't know the answer to that one, but when was the last time the Bills had $90+ million in cap space?! Is there anything that - in theory - prohibits the Bills from finding 8 starters with most of that money? Keep in mind that I said we're simply looking for varying levels of upgrades at 8 starter positions, not necessarily first-team All-Pros at all 8.

Regarding the draft, it is very reasonable to hope for 4 additional starters from those 10 picks. In 2017, the Bills found 4 (White, Jones, Dawkins, Milano) as late as the 5th round. In 2018, they found 3.5 (Allen, Edmunds, Teller, sort of Johnson at nickel CB) as late as the 5th round.

Unlike in most other pro sports leagues, you can completely rebuild NFL franchises in a relatively short amount of time due to the lack of guaranteed money in player contracts. 2019 will be McDermott's 3rd off-season. That's enough time to mold the roster in his desired vision. No more ***** excuses for this guy. The Bills need to make the playoffs in 2019.

2 hours ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

I don't know the answer to that one, but when was the last time the Bills had $90+ million in cap space?! Is there anything that - in theory - prohibits the Bills from finding 8 starters with most of that money? Keep in mind that I said we're simply looking for varying levels of upgrades at 8 starter positions, not necessarily first-team All-Pros at all 8.

Regarding the draft, it is very reasonable to hope for 4 additional starters from those 10 picks. In 2017, the Bills found 4 (White, Jones, Dawkins, Milano) as late as the 5th round. In 2018, they found 3.5 (Allen, Edmunds, Teller, sort of Johnson at nickel CB) as late as the 5th round.

Unlike in most other pro sports leagues, you can completely rebuild NFL franchises in a relatively short amount of time due to the lack of guaranteed money in player contracts. 2019 will be McDermott's 3rd off-season. That's enough time to mold the roster in his desired vision. No more ***** excuses for this guy. The Bills need to make the playoffs in 2019.

Desire of the free agents is what will stop the Bills from using all 90 mill on them. Unless they trade for Aaron Rogers, Gronk and sign OBD.  

Edited by inkman

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Johnson has been alright

He's been more than fine. Everyone wants two Deions back there.  It isn't happening.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Did anyone see Mahomes' no-look pass? Look it up if not. Incredible. He's such an amazing QB to watch. Movement under duress, scanning the field, and touch on his passes. Sad face

I've seen it ten times and I still fail to perceive the "no look" thing.  Mahomes is looking right at him.

22 hours ago, Eleven said:

Team needs for 2019:

--4 or 5 OL

--TE 

--2 or 3 WR

--DT (I'm assuming Williams will retire)

--possibly RB

That's a lot of work.

More than any of that they need an offensive minded head coach and not some moron who thinks it's the 50's and they should build the entire offense around the possibility of playing 2 or 3 games in ***** weather.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.