Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Are there actually people who think today was another step forward for Allen? In what realm? Seeing some of that on Twitter.

This game wasn't on Allen.  He's the only reason the Bills were close.  The OL is porous, his best receiver is Zay Jones, McCoy and then Ivory were out, and the D didn't do its job.

I'm not an Allen lover.  I'm rooting for the kid because he's whom the Bills drafted.

But nice "hot take."

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This game wasn't on Allen.  He's the only reason the Bills were close.  The OL is porous, his best receiver is Zay Jones, McCoy and then Ivory were out, and the D didn't do its job.

I'm not an Allen lover.  I'm rooting for the kid because he's whom the Bills drafted.

But nice "hot take."

The D played a much better game than Allen did. He had 3 turnovers that were entirely his fault.  Buffalo's OL is poor, but it's not the worst in the league.

You didn't even mention the worst part of the team today, the horrendous special teams. The Jets started what, 4 consecutive drives in Buffalo territory and only one of those was a turnover?

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But nice "hot take."

I’m not blaming the game on Allen. I’m making an observation of him solely. I don’t give a ***** whether this team wins or loses right now. Allen did not look good. I had actually changed my stance a bit on the last two games after looking back over them. This one I was able to watch a little more intently and he did not help. This was not an inspiring game.

I’m glad you’ve rubbed elbows with enough lazy millennials to do the dumb hot take thing, though.

Did you even watch? You were doing the ol’ “too cool for Bills football” thing just a few hours ago.

43 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You mean when he threw it right into Zay's hands and he dropped it and when he threw it right into Clay's hands and he dropped it? 

Out special teams lost this game. They suuuuuck.

Definitely a few times catchable balls were dropped. There were more times uncatchable balls were thrown, though, and his turnovers were on him.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’m not blaming the game on Allen. I’m making an observation of him solely. I don’t give a ***** whether this team wins or loses right now. Allen did not look good. I had actually changed my stance a bit on the last two games after looking back over them. This one I was able to watch a little more intently and he did not help. This was not an inspiring game.

I’m glad you’ve rubbed elbows with enough lazy millennials to do the dumb hot take thing, though.

Did you even watch? You were doing the ol’ “too cool for Bills football” thing just a few hours ago.

Definitely a few times catchable balls were dropped. There were more times uncatchable balls were thrown, though, and his turnovers were on him.

Oh, I watched.  I did miss a bit of the second half, but I watched.

I'm glad that you think a phrase like "hot take," used regularly on Howard Simon's show, is somehow the province of millennials.  It's freaking amazing how we survived before your generation was born!  You're not going to believe this, but we actually had people who knew how to complain about their jobs before you even were a twinkle in daddy's eye!

And Allen was fine.

Now, it's time for your cookies and milk, isn't it?

50 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Great analogy.  Are you sure you're not a millennial?  You seem so wise.

I have been accused of being a millennial ...  from the end of the tenth century.

Aside:   I raised four millennials!  Of interest of late ...  millennials in my workplace and among my clients.   To firms and managers ...  adapt or die.  I /we are working with consultants that challenge many preconceptions.  Interesting stuff ...

Edited by Neo
  • Haha (+1) 1

I thought Allen was pretty good again.  The turnovers were poor plays by him, but he made plenty of good plays.  I think he converted more 3rd downs today than Tyrod did all season last year (and I was a Tyrod supporter), with both his arm and his legs.

This game was a lot like last week vs Miami.  They frequently moved the ball well, but had plenty of mis-plays on offense and fell apart down the stretch on both sides of the ball to lose to a lousy team at the end -- so it's reasonable to question the coaching.  They also undeniably looked like they need quite a bit of new talent on offense.  And McCoy is probably done.

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sweet. I can see it now. A decade later, fans will still bitch about Mahomes, like Briere and Drury. Cant wait!!

My construction is wrong.  One was a trade down and the other a trade up.

For the record, I like both Brad and Tre’Davious.

Edited by Neo

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

Are there actually people who think today was another step forward for Allen? In what realm? Seeing some of that on Twitter.

Yes, nearly the entirety of Two Bills Drive is in love with him.

The narrative today was that Crossman cost the game; Allen's 3 turnovers seem to have been conveniently overlooked as that conflicts with the other standing narrative that Allen is clearly our new franchise QB.

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I thought Allen was pretty good again.  The turnovers were poor plays by him, but he made plenty of good plays.  I think he converted more 3rd downs today than Tyrod did all season last year (and I was a Tyrod supporter), with both his arm and his legs.

This game was a lot like last week vs Miami.  They frequently moved the ball well, but had plenty of mis-plays on offense and fell apart down the stretch on both sides of the ball to lose to a lousy team at the end -- so it's reasonable to question the coaching.  They also undeniably looked like they need quite a bit of new talent on offense.  And McCoy is probably done.

His problem is that he still failed to complete half his passes.  He did make several nice throws, but they are offset by real head scratchers, including the last pick of the day that sealed the loss.

His running will be taken away eventually and then he will have to throw, but he can't do that consistently enough to stay in the league.  IMO.

It seems like we've reached an impass as Bills fans. Those who believe in 17 and those who don't. Not sure if it's 50/50 yet but the believers are certain Allen is good, he just needs a supporting cast. The doubters think Allen won't improve drastically if/when his teammates are improved. 

In general, rookie quarterbacks are not very good. That’s not breaking news. In Allen’s case, he has demonstrated that he is like most rookie qbs but also an absolutely supreme athlete. I don’t think that’s debatable. I am of the thinking that a 22 year old kid with unbelievable athleticism and a cannon for an arm particularly one that is reported to work hard, is bright enough and has leadership qualities, has plenty of growth as a qb to come. The idea that someone of his age and attributes won’t improve seems out there to me.  I suspect some of those throws into people’s shins will find their way at least waist high next year and in years to follow. I’m excited to watch him this coming Sunday and with a few additions to the offense will be fired up to see what he brings next year. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It seems like we've reached an impass as Bills fans. Those who believe in 17 and those who don't. Not sure if it's 50/50 yet but the believers are certain Allen is good, he just needs a supporting cast. The doubters think Allen won't improve drastically if/when his teammates are improved. 

It's just not possible to reach a conclusion on him yet, IMO.  I wanted to give Manuel 2.5 seasons--even with a better supporting cast--and I feel the same way about Allen.  

A couple interesting stats:

1. Buffalo's defense is currently #1 in the NFL in yards allowed per game. This is a VERY flawed defense, but it's still a big improvement from last year.

2. Josh Allen is currently the #1 rushing QB in the NFL with 490 yards. He has 3 games to pass Tyrod Taylor's 580 yards in 2016 for the franchise's QB rushing yards record.

On the great Josh Allen debate: it's completely pointless right now. I just don't see how anyone can be highly confident one way or the other on whether he is a franchise QB. The best we can do during this first year is point out his good plays and his bad ones. I will be very disappointed, however, if I don't see substantial improvement in his throwing mechanics and his decision-making by September.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.