Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Why? 

This board was insistent from the beginning, and did a good job of holding to, the idea that EJ would get at least 2 full seasons before final judgments were out, and that's what happened. 

Because of what we gave up for Allen, people have been harsher on him (coupled with those people not liking him pre-draft) than they were on EJ through this point. Same with Tyrod and his first 4 games with the team.

I mean, both EJ and Tyrod had pretty considerably better starts to their Bills careers. Doesn't mean Allen will forever be bad, but right now, he's awful.

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Oh stop. It does not because it was low and came on him quick. Nobody is making that catch.

This is the type of game I hate seeing them win in down years. It’s not sustainable and it was against a bad team (they’re worse than their record shows). The offense was putrid and Allen continued some bad habits. I’m hopeful they’re led by people who aren’t dumb enough to think that was a “good” performance. If not then it’s going to continue to be rough. That and it doesn’t help the draft positioning.

2 minutes after I posted that watched Hopkins make a sliding catch on the exact same throw (over near the sideline, but still same position relative to the receiver).  Benjamin could have at least TRIED to make the catch.  For a big guy he has the smallest catch radius I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I mean, both EJ and Tyrod had pretty considerably better starts to their Bills careers. Doesn't mean Allen will forever be bad, but right now, he's awful.

Also true. 

Anyway, that poster's point about people "liking" Allen after "hating" those particular two quarterbacks doesn't make any sense because for that reason you mention people DON'T like Allen as much as they liked those guys at this point in their Bills careers

Edited by Randall Flagg

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

2 minutes after I posted that watched Hopkins make a sliding catch on the exact same throw (over near the sideline, but still same position relative to the receiver).  Benjamin could have at least TRIED to make the catch.  For a big guy he has the smallest catch radius I've ever seen.

I don’t even think it’s catch radius...I don’t think he has the hands to catch anything. Maybe 10% or less of the time does he actually get one in his radius. 

58 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Does anyone know if they're planning on starting Derek Anderson? I can't imagine it, but these guys do weird things, like start Peterman. 

If so, Anderson will be the perfect mentor for Allen. He can teach him all about how to win in Buffalo when you only complete 2 of 17 passes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Does anyone know if they're planning on starting Derek Anderson? I can't imagine it, but these guys do weird things, like start Peterman. 

No chance. They’ve already stated this is Allen’s team for good (or bad).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Just saw a tweet that pointed out that the last time the Bills and Browns won in the same week was 2015. The Bills beat the Titans that week, and the Browns beat the Ravens

12 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Yeah, just checked.  Not only that, but the Bills won by 1 point and the Browns won with an OT field goal.

That was also a week 5.

Yup, last time they both won on the same day.  It's also the last time they won on the same week before two weeks ago.

Is the Matrix not even trying anymore?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Why? 

This board was insistent from the beginning, and did a good job of holding to, the idea that EJ would get at least 2 full seasons before final judgments were out, and that's what happened. 

Because of what we gave up for Allen, people have been harsher on him (coupled with those people not liking him pre-draft) than they were on EJ through this point. Same with Tyrod and his first 4 games with the team.

I wanted EJ to get 40 games (2.5 seasons) and I will hold Allen to the same standard.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The EJ mention is the one that scares me simply because they both wound up starting way too early.  Tyrod was pretty much what he was by the time he got here and won the job.  Both EJ and Allen were thrown to the wolves way too soon.  Hopefully this one doesn't have the same ending.

Just now, shrader said:

The EJ mention is the one that scares me simply because they both wound up starting way too early.  Tyrod was pretty much what he was by the time he got here and won the job.  Both EJ and Allen were thrown to the wolves way too soon.  Hopefully this one doesn't have the same ending.

Agree with everything here.

I keep coming back to the fact that, even those who loved Allen as a prospect, were unanimous in saying that he needed time and should not start right away (and, IIRC, a super majority of his boosters said to shelve him for a full season).

And yet here we are.

Even for someone (i.e., me) who was perfectly okay with trading Taylor for a good asset, the handling of the QB personnel just seems dumber and dumber as the weeks progress.

Not for nothing: The Browns giving up a significant asset for Taylor seems dumber and dumber too. Mayfield is clearly a fairly pro-ready QB. As others have noted, it was the Bills who actually needed Taylor much more than the Browns. I had just thought that McCarron was going to be the bridge guy. But, no. McDermott's devotion to Peterman won out.

• Like (+1) 1

^^^^^ This!

McDermott and Beane's irrational love of  Peterman has really hurt the Bills.   It also makes me greatly question McDermott's competency at evaluating talent - especially the MOST critical position on any team - QB.  And not just Peterman - look at the other moves/decisions; 

Why spend $2.6 million on McCarron, then give him away?  

Why now go once more to the Carolina Well and hire Anderson, a guy with totally mediocre stats?  

Why hire a QB coach for your alleged FRANCHISE rookie QB who hasn't coached QB in three decades?  Shades of pulling Chan Gailey from the retirement home;  we know how well that worked. 

I wished McDermott and Beane weren't so parochial, and didn't constantly go to Carolina's 2nd hand shop for fixes for the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I keep coming back to the fact that, even those who loved Allen as a prospect, were unanimous in saying that he needed time and should not start right away (and, IIRC, a super majority of his boosters said to shelve him for a full season).

And yet here we are.

Even for someone (i.e., me) who was perfectly okay with trading Taylor for a good asset, the handling of the QB personnel just seems dumber and dumber as the weeks progress.

Not for nothing: The Browns giving up a significant asset for Taylor seems dumber and dumber too. Mayfield is clearly a fairly pro-ready QB. As others have noted, it was the Bills who actually needed Taylor much more than the Browns. I had just thought that McCarron was going to be the bridge guy. But, no. McDermott's devotion to Peterman won out.

McDermott so wanted to believe that he found the next Tom Brady in the late rounds of the draft.  I think that Peterman was his plan all along and that Mahomes would be here if he didn't have that belief.

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

i retrieved this based on a search for a GIF depicting a horrified, disbelieving reaction. and i think it fits the bill.

i'm not even familiar with the show, tbh.

You are so lucky that you can still watch Breaking Bad for the first time. I look forward to my 3rd time through over the holidays.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

McDermott so wanted to believe that he found the next Tom Brady in the late rounds of the draft.  I think that Peterman was his plan all along and that Mahomes would be here if he didn't have that belief.

So you're saying they passed on Mahomes because they believed Peterman was the next big thing.  With that belief, they then took the risk of waiting until their second pick in the 5th round to draft him.  It sounds like some fun time travel hijinks are in motion.  Clearly at some point McDermott will sent Peterman back in time to do the nasty with Mrs. McDermott, allowing Sean to be conceived.

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

Turn in your man card immediately

Did you just assume my gender?

Anyhoo. I've just never found the time to get through any of the famous binge-watch shows -- unless you count ABC's Lost (which sorta was an early one). I did the first season of The Wire (and oh man - was that ever good), but then got delayed on the rest. I've never watched a single episode of The Sopranos. And so on.

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The 2018 Buffalo Bills now have a top 10 defense in DVOA... and one of the five worst offenses we've ever tracked through 5 games.

Stats square with the eye test.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.