Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Eh I think there's more to a tank than that

Tank: The act of purposefully losing a season to acquire as many high end assets as possible in the draft

I think there needs to be some element of purposefully losing for it to be considered a tank

Trading off all valuable assets leads to losing.

I think signing McCarron would be with good intentions, but would end up as a tank. The only benefit would be cap room saved by ditching TT. 

I also think Beane/Daboll/McDermott have other plans rather than taking a step back, be it moving up and getting Rosen or Mayfield, trading for Foles, or making a play for Cousins. What kind of message does it send to the vets if they sign McCarron ? 

If it's good intentions, then it's not a tank

Far as the message goes to the vets, it can't possibly be any worse than the messages we sent trading Watkins, Dareus, and everything else we did last offseason. We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years despite everyone claiming a tank; I wouldn't worry about the messages we send

Trading off all valuable assets leads to losing.

We traded off all valuable assets this last season. 

And also lead the bills to the big game? You think Tyrod is taking us to the Superbowl?

A QB is only as good as the offense surrounding him. His stats are pretty darn good, especially the low # of picks. TD passes are low, but given what he had to throw to, I give him a pass.

If it's good intentions, then it's not a tank

Far as the message goes to the vets, it can't possibly be any worse than the messages we sent trading Watkins, Dareus, and everything else we did last offseason. We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years despite everyone claiming a tank; I wouldn't worry about the messages we send

We traded off all valuable assets this last season. 

It may start as good intentions, but McCarron is limited in NFL experience and it might well end up a tank. And like you said, we made the playoffs - why would you not build on that instead of taking a step back ? 

Edited by Gramps

It may start as good intentions, but McCarron is limited in NFL experience and it might well end up a tank. And like you said, we made the playoffs - why would you not build on that instead of taking a step back ? 

Anything we do at QB short of signing Cousins will be a step back. 

I'm being nitpicky, but with this board's history of tank debates, I think a tank needs to be losing intentionally despite viable alternatives to get better for the following season. 

I do not think there are any viable alternatives to build off of this playoff success, especially at QB. I think McCaron might actually be the best option we have.

Edited by Jokertecken

True, he was. I'm on the train of pick a QB every year. As far as where we pick, we have more than enough ammo to move up

McCaron is what he is. I'd sign him on a 3 year deal for cheap. Worst case scenario he plays this year and is a backup the next. Best case, he tuns out to be something. Those odds may be 10/90, but depending on the price and what we need right now, I think he's a great fit

Because it's luck

Credit to True, he's been saying the QB process is luck for years now, and he's right. Figure I should give him some credit here, seeing as he's rarely correct

This conversation went way too fast for me to jump in now, but don't think I didn't notice this. You've got one solid backhanded compliment headed your way. My revenge may not be swift, but it shall be righteous.

Anything we do at QB short of signing Cousins will be a step back. 

I'm being nitpicky, but with this board's history of tank debates, I think a tank needs to be losing intentionally despite viable alternatives to get better for the following season. 

I do not think there are any viable alternatives to build off of this playoff success, especially at QB. I think McCaron might actually be the best option we have.

Trading for Foles if available would be a step up.

How were they called? In 2001 what was a pass interference penalty worth in yards, 15 right? What is it now.

Roughing the passer isn't about how many but how. The literally definition has changed. Go plant your helmet in a qbs chest see what happens. The league protects qbs and favors passing.

I'd rather an elite defense with a good qb then an elite defense with Tyrod. Tyrod will never win a Superbowl.

In college football, in 2001 PI 15 or more yards downfield was a 15 yard penalty. As it also is today.

In the NFL, in 2001 PI was a spot foul regardless where it occurred. As it is today.

Trading for Foles if available would be a step up.

Fun fact: Taylor has a better career QB passer rating than Foles. Foles in 2013 has the league-leading rating, but otherwise his best season rating is less than Taylor's worst (for seasons with more than 100 pass attempts, i.e. a starter). Foles put together a string of 6 good games as the Eagles starter this year that happened to take them to the Championship. Betting on that to continue is dubious based on past performance.

Fun fact: Taylor has a better career QB passer rating than Foles. Foles in 2013 has the league-leading rating, but otherwise his best season rating is less than Taylor's worst (for seasons with more than 100 pass attempts, i.e. a starter). Foles put together a string of 6 good games as the Eagles starter this year that happened to take them to the Championship. Betting on that to continue is dubious based on past performance.

I'll take Foles based on those 6 games, especially his playoff and SB performance.

Newsflash - he's the head coach of the Colts. I'd take my chances on Daboll with Foles.

I actually do know that. Point being Foles benefited from the system run in Philly.

I have no problem with Dabol. No idea what his offense will look like. Not sure if it will replicate Philly though.

Foles got hot at the right time. Sorta like Joe Flacco a few years ago. And much like Joe Flacco, we shouldn't get fooled into thinking he's actually good.

Oh I dunno about that ... Flacco's career stats are pretty good and he's got a ring. Beggars can't be choosers. We have a starting QB that everyone wants to run outta town and a backup with a noodle arm that is looking at 3rd string next year. 

Oh I dunno about that ... Flacco's career stats are pretty good and he's got a ring. Beggars can't be choosers. We have a starting QB that everyone wants to run outta town and a backup with a noodle arm that is looking at 3rd string next year.

You have a much different definition of "pretty good" than I do. And I'm a borderline Tyrod fan compared to most of this place :)

I'm going to make this as nice as I possibly can: comparing stats from now to the mid-80s mid-90s without adjusting for era is akin to comparing gas prices without adjusting for inflation.

I'm going to make this as nice as I possibly can: comparing stats from now to the mid-80s mid-90s without adjusting for era is akin to comparing gas prices without adjusting for inflation.

Whatever dude ... football the game hasn't changed that much. And do tell ... how do we adjust for "era" ? 

Whatever dude ... football the game hasn't changed that much. And do tell ... how do we adjust for "era" ?

Same way you do for Gretzky and Ruth, relative comparisons to their peers

I actually do know that. Point being Foles benefited from the system run in Philly.

I have no problem with Dabol. No idea what his offense will look like. Not sure if it will replicate Philly though.

Foles got hot at the right time. Sorta like Joe Flacco a few years ago. And much like Joe Flacco, we shouldn't get fooled into thinking he's actually good.

Agreed on both

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.