Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Can and probably will are entirely different, that was the entire point of my post

Known failure vs unknown success, not exactly a tough decision 

Actually it is ... Bills made the playoffs this year with pathetic WRs and a substandard OL at times.  Jackson could be an unknown failure.

I'd rather draft Jackson or Rudolph then have another year of winning games 10-7

Further more, the bills should use first round picks on a qb until they get one right. You have 2 this year, use 1 on qb.

Maybe Beane will get it right with Daboll's influence. 

If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl with a great defense, so can TT. 

The passage of time has made it clear that the Ravens D that year was not just great, but incredible -- likely one of the best units, if not the best unit, ever. 

The Broncos did something similar in recent memory, but still needed Peyton Manning to come over and get them over the hump.

The rule changes of the last 10-15 years or so have really left no doubt that you need a great (or good capable of getting hot and being great) QB in order to win it all.

I'm not sure whether the 2000-2001 Ravens would have won a SB in the current NFL.

You're really gonna sit there and tell me that a qb who threw for 14td in an entire season is good enough to win a Superbowl? Riiiiigggghhhht.

I suggest you look up how many TDs Trent Dilfer threw for in Baltimore in 2000-01. 

Edited by Gramps

Specifics please - what rules affect the number of TD passes thrown ?

Pass interference. Ruffing the passer/qb (very specific now).

If you think football is called the same now in 2018 as it was in 2001, Idk what to tell you.

Tom Brady rewrote the book on roughing the passer.

If you think football is called the same now in 2018 as it was in 2001, Idk what to tell you.

There were 244 defensive pass interference calls in 2000-01 and 266 in 2017-18. 75 roughing the passer in 2000 and 105 in 2017. Those totals do not include penalties that were declined or offsetting. That is approximately 1 more per team in each category. 

Also, the league had 31 teams in 2000-01 and 32 last year. 

Hardly enough of a variance to back up your 14 TD comment.

Edited by Gramps

There were 244 defensive pass interference calls in 2000-01 and 266 in 2017-18. 75 roughing the passer in 2000 and 105 in 2017. Those totals do not include penalties that were declined or offsetting. That is approximately 1 more per team in each category.

Also, the league had 31 teams in 2000-01 and 32 last year.

Hardly enough of a variance to back up your 14 TD comment.

How were they called? In 2001 what was a pass interference penalty worth in yards, 15 right? What is it now.

Roughing the passer isn't about how many but how. The literally definition has changed. Go plant your helmet in a qbs chest see what happens. The league protects qbs and favors passing.

I'd rather an elite defense with a good qb then an elite defense with Tyrod. Tyrod will never win a Superbowl.

Edited by SkuggaLiger

How were they called? In 2001 what was a pass interference penalty worth in yards, 15 right? What is it now.

Roughing the passer isn't about how many but how. The literally definition has changed. Go plant your helmet in a qbs chest see what happens. The league protects qbs and favors passing.

I'd rather an elite defense with a good qb then an elite defense with Tyrod. Tyrod will never win a Superbowl.

Don't think so, the average yardage per penalty is fairly close between 2000 & 2017.

Actually it is ... Bills made the playoffs this year with pathetic WRs and a substandard OL at times.  Jackson could be an unknown failure.

Maybe Beane will get it right with Daboll's influence. 

No, it's not. We made the playoffs on our defense, not our offense. The number one priority of an offense is a quarterback. Tyrod is a known failure as a quarterback, holding onto him does us nothing

Tom Brady rewrote the book on roughing the passer.

Every single analyst, player, ex-player, and fan agrees with this

It's not 2001 anymore. The league has changed. The actual rules have changed.

No, it's not. We made the playoffs on our defense, not our offense. The number one priority of an offense is a quarterback. Tyrod is a known failure as a quarterback, holding onto him does us nothing

And which QB would you bring in to groom the new guy and also lead the Bills to the big game ? 

And which QB would you bring in to groom the new guy and also lead the Bills to the big game ? 

This has been the problem with the Bills and Bills fans for the entire drought. We're mad we can't win now, and we're mad we don't have a franchise QB. The drought is over, that angst should be gone. We're past playoff caliber, we need to be championship caliber.

Brady and Favre mentors don't just grow on trees. Who did Wilson have mentoring him? Or Ben? Or Peyton? Wentz? Goff? Unless your mentor is a top 10 QB of all time, they're overrated

Find some veteran, stick him in front of our rookie, and just pick a damn QB already. Personally I want McCaron. Probably not good enough to win, but you can get him cheap, he can play now in front of your rookie, and who knows, he might be something in case your rookie doesn't work

Edited by Jokertecken

This has been the problem with the Bills and Bills fans for the entire drought. We're mad we can't win now, and we're mad we don't have a franchise QB. The drought is over, that angst should be gone. We're past playoff caliber, we need to be championship caliber.

Brady and Favre mentors don't just grow on trees. Who did Wilson have mentoring him? Or Ben? Or Peyton? Wentz? Goff? Unless your mentor is a top 10 QB of all time, they're overrated

Find some veteran, stick him in front of our rookie, and just pick a damn QB already. Personally I want McCaron. Probably not good enough to win, but you can get him cheap, he can play now in front of your rookie, and who knows, he might be something in case your rookie doesn't work

Wilson was a 3rd round gem find along the lines of Dak Prescott. The others you mention were all picked at slots above what the Bills have this year. McCarron has sat for most of 4 years - don't want him even though he would be cheap. I'd take Foles in a heartbeat if we could get him. 

Wilson was a 3rd round gem find along the lines of Dak Prescott. The others you mention were all picked at slots above what the Bills have this year. McCarron has sat for most of 4 years - don't want him even though he would be cheap. I'd take Foles in a heartbeat if we could get him. 

True, he was. I'm on the train of pick a QB every year. As far as where we pick, we have more than enough ammo to move up

McCaron is what he is. I'd sign him on a 3 year deal for cheap. Worst case scenario he plays this year and is a backup the next. Best case, he tuns out to be something. Those odds may be 10/90, but depending on the price and what we need right now, I think he's a great fit

Why can't we find a late first round gem?

Because it's luck

Credit to True, he's been saying the QB process is luck for years now, and he's right. Figure I should give him some credit here, seeing as he's rarely correct

Edited by Jokertecken

True, he was. I'm on the train of pick a QB every year. As far as where we pick, we have more than enough ammo to move up

McCaron is what he is. I'd sign him on a 3 year deal for cheap. Worst case scenario he plays this year and is a backup the next. Best case, he tuns out to be something. Those odds may be 10/90, but depending on the price and what we need right now, I think he's a great fit

Because it's luck

Credit to True, he's been saying the QB process is luck for years now, and he's right. Figure I should give him some credit here, seeing as he's rarely correct

True, but we have other needs especially the OL with Wood retiring and Incognito getting older. Obviously can use some WR help and a new DT. Does McCoy have 2 more good years in him ? To me, signing McCarron is signaling a tank year.  

True, but we have other needs especially the OL with Wood retiring and Incognito getting older. Obviously can use some WR help and a new DT. Does McCoy have 2 more good years in him ? To me, signing McCarron is signaling a tank year.  

Agreed, we have a lot of holes. I'm more confident in filling those holes later in the draft or through FA than I am in getting a QB though. I also think that unless you have a QB, it's all useless (exceptions of course being a team like the championship Bucs, Ravens, and Eagles)

I don't think McCarron is signaling a tank, I think we use that term too much honestly. I think it signals a new direction though

Oddly enough McCarron has won his grievance today, and is a UFA

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22456899/aj-mccarron-wins-grievance-cincinnati-bengals-unrestricted-free-agent

Tank: to trade off all movable assets for futures in order to draft as high as possible.

###### buffalo is going to do that now.

Eh I think there's more to a tank than that

Tank: The act of purposefully losing a season to acquire as many high end assets as possible in the draft

I think there needs to be some element of purposefully losing for it to be considered a tank

Eh I think there's more to a tank than that

Tank: The act of purposefully losing a season to acquire as many high end assets as possible in the draft

I think there needs to be some element of purposefully losing for it to be considered a tank

I think signing McCarron would be with good intentions, but would end up as a tank. The only benefit would be cap room saved by ditching TT. 

I also think Beane/Daboll/McDermott have other plans rather than taking a step back, be it moving up and getting Rosen or Mayfield, trading for Foles, or making a play for Cousins. What kind of message does it send to the vets if they sign McCarron ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.