On 2/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, SkuggaLiger said:

So my QB ranks are as follows

Rosen

Mayfield

Darnold

Jackson

Allen

Rudolph

I agree with those rankings for the most part, Liger. Flip Allen and Rudolph for me though

Edited by WildCard

Time for a new one

I agree with those rankings for the most part, Liger. Flip Allen and Rudolph for me though

I actually thought about that. Allen for me is so much of a project. Maybe with better talent around him he will be magically better but watching his game tape this past year, woof. I would take Jackson over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Allen is definitely 6th for me. I get how teams are going to fall in love with the physical tools, but I still have yet to see any QB who magically developed accuracy. Allen is fool's gold. Sure, his ceiling is higher than Rudolph's, but he also has like a 1% chance of hitting it where I think Rudolph is likely to be a Dalton-level starter.*

The thought of a Dalton-level starter is in no way, shape, or form, exciting to me...but is still preferable to drafting the next EJ.

Edit: I concur with Liger's ranking otherwise, though flipping Jackson and Darnold is quite tempting to me.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Allen is definitely 6th for me. I get how teams are going to fall in love with the physical tools, but I still have yet to see any QB who magically developed accuracy. Allen is fool's gold. Sure, his ceiling is higher than Rudolph's, but he also has like a 1% chance of hitting it where I think Rudolph is likely to be a Dalton-level starter.*

The thought of a Dalton-level starter is in no way, shape, or form, exciting to me...but is still preferable to drafting the next EJ.

Edit: I concur with Liger's ranking otherwise, though flipping Jackson and Darnold is quite tempting to me.

Lots of scouts think differently on Allen - he'll be gone before the Bills pick so no worries about taking him. 

Lots of scouts think differently on Allen - he'll be gone before the Bills pick so no worries about taking him. 

Scouts mistakenly get enamored with tools all the time, thinking along the lines of "we just need to coach up the mechanics and it'll be fine." Except that never actually happens. Just in recent Buffalo history we've had Losman, Fitz, and EJ who were all "fix mechanics to fix accuracy" guys, and the accuracy was never fixed. And there are countless examples around the league of the same thing happening. Scouts/GMs/coaches are oftentimes their own worst enemies.

Scouts mistakenly get enamored with tools all the time, thinking along the lines of "we just need to coach up the mechanics and it'll be fine." Except that never actually happens. Just in recent Buffalo history we've had Losman, Fitz, and EJ who were all "fix mechanics to fix accuracy" guys, and the accuracy was never fixed. And there are countless examples around the league of the same thing happening. Scouts/GMs/coaches are oftentimes their own worst enemies.

Good points but what we don't see in many cases is how many catchable passes were dropped, how many passes were thrown away, did said QB have receivers that could actually get open, etc. Dan Marino never hit a 60% completion ratio in college and threw a boatload of picks. No college QB is a sure thing.

I'm posting this here for everyone to reference whenever someone says our schedule is easy/hard next season because of this season's records.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/ignore-virtually-all-offseason-nfl-strength-of-schedule-information

Friends don't let friends think one season's record predicts the next.

I'm posting this here for everyone to reference whenever someone says our schedule is easy/hard next season because of this season's records.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2018/ignore-virtually-all-offseason-nfl-strength-of-schedule-information

Friends don't let friends think one season's record predicts the next.

Amen. Praise jeebus.

The bolded ones seem pretty much the same to me, besides the fact Jackson can run.

I'd just this QB class sucks really and would stay clear of it.   

If you can't get one from the vikings 3 , stick with Taylor for 3 more years and wait for the next crop to show up.

I disagree highly that Allen and Jackson are similar. It isn't even about the running. Jackson completed 254 passes last season. Allen only even attempted 270. Jackson had 27td passes to Allen at 16. The difference isn't Jackson runs, it is that he's better at qb.

Didn't Allen miss a few games ? 

I think he played 2 less?

Maybe so - I thought he got hurt during a game and missed more than a half as well. In any event, I think it's been said Daboll will be looking for a "pure passer" which fits Allen more than Jackson. However, Allen will be gone by the time the Bills draft - Jackson may be around. Most of the Super Bowl winning QBs in the last 20 years or so (with the exception of Russell Wilson) have been "pure passers".

Edited by Gramps

Jackson reminds me of Vince Young and we all know how that ended. 

He is nothing like Vince Young. Couldn't actually be further from Young, or Tyrod for that matter

On a similar note, Manziel himself has come out and said Baker is nothing like him either

He is nothing like Vince Young. Couldn't actually be further from Young, or Tyrod for that matter

On a similar note, Manziel himself has come out and said Baker is nothing like him either

You or I will never know that answer until Jackson plays in the pros. And I don't put a lot of stock in what Manziel says with his track record.

And if Jackson was all that, they'd be talking about him going in the top 5. Never hit 60% completion % in any season. 

Edited by Gramps

You or I will never know that answer until Jackson plays in the pros. And I don't put a lot of stock in what Manziel says with his track record.

And if Jackson was all that, they'd be talking about him going in the top 5. Never hit 60% completion % in any season. 

What is Josh Allen? 

Neither did Josh Allen. Just sayin. 

Here is my issue. Allen looks inaccurate and the stats show that. Jackson looks more accurate. The stats kinda show that. I want a guy who has thrown more. I want that experience. 

Jackson: 839 passes in the last 2 years (attempted)

Allen: 643 passes in the last 2 years (attempted)

Odd that the "running QB" has thrown 24% more passes than the pocket guy. 

More stats. Allen only threw 16td passes to 6 interceptions last year, a difference of 10.  Jackson throw 27 TD passes with 10 interceptions (4 in his bowl game) for a difference of 17. 

Passing yards a game:

Allen - 228.8 was his most in college (2016)

Jackson - 281.5 was his most (2017)

Completion percentage:

Allen -

2016: 56%

2017: 56.3%

Jackson - 

2016: 56.2%

2017: 59.1%

Yards a season:

Allen - 

2016: 3203

2017: 1812

Jackson - 

2016: 3543

2017: 3660

Longest pass:

Allen - 

2016: 54

2017: 47

Jackson - 

2016: 74

2017: 78

Games played:

Allen - 25 games (I am not counting his sophomore year where he threw 6 passes in 2 games)

Jackson - 38 games

Highlights: Allen

Jackson

I just want to add that we could have done this with Rudolph too. I just was lazy and didn't add his stats. Rudolph has potential too. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.