Jack Eichel **** high ankle sprain

Derrico

I'm going to go out on a limb here...   IMO Eichel's "laziness" will make him prone to these type of awkward falling injuries.   By laziness, I mean poor posture on the ice.    For guy with his size and strength, you'd think he'd be able to hold his ground but when he's not engaged, not ready for battle, just cruising out there... he puts himself into bad situations.     

This latest incident... if you watch it closely... instead of falling forward, or just dropping down to his knees... he falls backwards.    Watching it in slow motion, there's no reason for him to fall backwards unless his weight was on his heels.    His weight should've been on his toes, ready to engage the Bruin defender.     Instead he has his weight on his heels, in a relaxed stance.     Same thing happened with the Girgensons incident.    His weight was on his heels, he fell backward awkwardly.    When you're engaged in a net front battle your weight should be on your toes, giving you leverage against the defender and protecting you from falling backward.   

In both cases, IMO he's just too careless, not engaged, not ready for battle, leaning back on his skates like he's out for a public skate.     Every second of every shift you need to be on your toes, ready to react and absorb contact.    I don't think he's figured that out yet.

But he went to college!!!

All kidding aside, this is an interesting observation. I skate once every couple years. Never skated in a hockey game. So this isn't something I would pick up on. Thanks for using your in-game skating experience to share this. I'll rewatch and try to see it from this perspective. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here...   IMO Eichel's "laziness" will make him prone to these type of awkward falling injuries.   By laziness, I mean poor posture on the ice.    For guy with his size and strength, you'd think he'd be able to hold his ground but when he's not engaged, not ready for battle, just cruising out there... he puts himself into bad situations.     

This latest incident... if you watch it closely... instead of falling forward, or just dropping down to his knees... he falls backwards.    Watching it in slow motion, there's no reason for him to fall backwards unless his weight was on his heels.    His weight should've been on his toes, ready to engage the Bruin defender.     Instead he has his weight on his heels, in a relaxed stance.     Same thing happened with the Girgensons incident.    His weight was on his heels, he fell backward awkwardly.    When you're engaged in a net front battle your weight should be on your toes, giving you leverage against the defender and protecting you from falling backward.   

In both cases, IMO he's just too careless, not engaged, not ready for battle, leaning back on his skates like he's out for a public skate.     Every second of every shift you need to be on your toes, ready to react and absorb contact.    I don't think he's figured that out yet.

Good observation, not sure if its non-chalant or arrogance... you cant touch this, not lazy. But yea, whatever the reason he does get back on his heals too much especially along the boards. I think he uses it to make moves sometimes... but a playoff motivated team isnt gonna let you do that. Noticed him getting taken a few times recently though not along the boards where he was leaning back not expecting it. Playoff hockey is all about getting an advantage especially away from the puck.

His foot was pushed out from under him, he was going to land on his knees, but the he got tackled on the way down. Clearly, he should've been able to avoid the tackle. <_<

His foot was pushed out from under him, he was going to land on his knees, but the he got tackled on the way down. Clearly, he should've been able to avoid the tackle. <_<

I see his right foot is pushed out with the stick, he loses his balances and falls backwards.   The Bruin player doesn't tackle him, he falls with him because he's expecting a push back.

Again, if he falls forward or just lands on his knees or butt, sitting upright, then he's fine.     Just a very awkward way to fall for an NHL level skater who was tripped.     Those types of infractions happen all the time and yet you don't see guys falling as awkwardly as Eichel does.

This is too well thought out and therefore, too scary, for me to put any further thought into.

Question:  Do we know have to worry that our $10 mill man is injury prone?  2 high ankle sprains (one of each foot) in the last two years.  Both kind of freak plays, but does jack have fragile ankles?

2 could easily be a coincidence - if an odd one, happening twice so soon.

If he goes 3/4 or 3/5 for seasons suffering an ankle injury, I’m officially crying.

I feel like almost every time someone suffers a long term injury, it’s referred to as a “freak” incident. Aside from head shots and knee on knees.

Leg got caught on the boards in a awkward postion, crashed into the boards awkwardly, fell awkwardly...stuff like that.

It’s a fast paced game with huge grown men slicing around on thin steel blades, carrying weapons. These aren’t freak injuries, they are in many ways inevitable.

As someone who also takes pride in their modest athletic abilities, I'd have to slightly disagree with you.

Some people who have incredible athletic abilities sometime have unorthodox technique. It is a technique that only works with their unique physique. I'd say Eichel's technique allows him to perform maneuvers while appearing as if he's not putting any effort into it. This may lead someone to conclude he is "lazy." In reality, he's just executing in the way that is most effective for him. I pray that this technique does not lead to frequently putting him in dangerous situations.

An analogy could be made to someone like Roger Federer (although I don't think Jack is as graceful). Federer looks like he's just floating around the court. The reality is, he's using tremendous power in his legs when he springs off them, and generates a tremendous amount of force on his groundstrokes, but uses the utmost efficiency of motion (and a very aesthetically pleasing technique). Not an exact parallel, but it illustrates the difference between the perception based on appearance vs. what's actually going on, physically. You don't hit serves as hard or forehands with as much pace as Federer with "grace," you do with raw force.

I’ve heard it discussed in great detail — someone on the WGR hockey show a couple years ago (Mair?) — how unorthodox Eichel’s skating technique is — that he does multiple things just “wrong.”

That may play a role in these awkward falls.

But I don’t think it’s laziness.

I’ve heard it discussed in great detail — someone on the WGR hockey show a couple years ago (Mair?) — how unorthodox Eichel’s skating technique is — that he does multiple things just “wrong.”

Pi was using the word lazy for lack of a better word.  He was trying to describe a lack of readiness of position and posture.

I'm not sure Jack gives a flip about what Adam Mair thinks of his skating technique.  

I'm not sure Jack gives a flip about what Adam Mair thinks of his skating technique.

Please don’t misunderstand: The participants were talking about Eichel in amazement and wonder — but pointing out that he’s a unique animal — that you could never (would never) teach kids to skate that way.

Pi was using the word lazy for lack of a better word. He was trying to describe a lack of readiness of position and posture.

Hmmm. I dunno. I think he meant what he said.

It's his upright posture that puts his weight on his heels (when he's not accelerating) that is going to put him in hazardous situations.

Some here have interpreted his posture as lazy... in reality I should have chosen my words more carefully. It's not lazy, it just looks like he's not playing "on his toes" as they say. To the eye he doesn't look fully engaged in competetive situations.

It's his upright posture that puts his weight on his heels (when he's not accelerating) that is going to put him in hazardous situations.

Some here have interpreted his posture as lazy... in reality I should have chosen my words more carefully. It's not lazy, it just looks like he's not playing "on his toes" as they say. To the eye he doesn't look fully engaged in competetive situations.

It's about lowering your centre of gravity. Yeah.

I feel like almost every time someone suffers a long term injury, it’s referred to as a “freak” incident. Aside from head shots and knee on knees.

Leg got caught on the boards in a awkward postion, crashed into the boards awkwardly, fell awkwardly...stuff like that.

It’s a fast paced game with huge grown men slicing around on thin steel blades, carrying weapons. These aren’t freak injuries, they are in many ways inevitable.

I used freak because it best describes the random nature of the sport as far as injuries.

Why aren't more players injured seriously more often? It really does seem inevitable that teams should have ever increasing man-game lost numbers as players have become bigger/stronger/faster.

Prior to Jack going down Buffalo was second in lost-man games for the 17-18 season. I am assuming that is because of our Glass-man defense-man.

How is it in the fastest non motorized sport on the cruelest playing surface, with 6 foot long weapons and a projectile that is sent at speed up to 100 mph in a very small playing environment strewn with razor blades are there not more injuries?

They are inevitable, but oddly still a freak event.

It was just a matter of time. If Jack wasn't going to move his feet, someone was going to move them for him.

You hoser.

It seems more than fair to say that his posture and stance on the ice are unorthodox. I don't know whether and to what extent that lack of orthodoxy has played a role in his injuries, but two high ankle sprains in two seasons (suffered in not dissimilar situations) are an obvious source of concern. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jack, seriously, don't rush back. Just take the rest of the season.

I thought that too.  Why rush back and hurt it worse when the team isn't going anywhere.  However there is something to be said for Jack's confidence and the team's if Jack plays some before the end of the year and shows he is healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.