Jack Eichel **** high ankle sprain

Derrico

Isn't coming in last and guaranteeing you one of the big 4 draft picks, provIding Jack help next season, not at least a sliver of positive?

Still sucks though, watching him play made the games at least bearable. Now.... just get me to the lottery.

Watching our franchise player suffer the second serious injury in as many years, comes with a slightly better chance we drop one more spot, which even if it happens, only gives us a 5.5% greater chance at the top pick.

...no sliver of positive in that for me. Not even close.

There are none. Our franchise player has now suffered major injuries in 2 of his first 3 seasons, damaging not one, but both of his ankles. Which he uses to skate, of course.

It’s completely terrible.

Of course there's an upside here.  Between Eichel being done for the season and our talent dump at the deadline, this team has a great shot at finishing dead last.

Odds of winning the lottery not great, but still nearly 1 in 5.  Maybe this will be our year to have some luck.

We are rebuilding ALMOST from scratch at this point, so we can use all the help we can get.

Tome for O'Reilly to make his mark.

You mean if he's still a Sabre in a month's time. 

Ditto for Reinhart.  

Both could be gone, both could remain.

Housley says there’s a possibility Eichel returns sooner than not. Early timeline is 4-6 weeks #Sabres 

Per Yerdon

I think he's pretty much done for the year.  I can see why Housley wouldn't want to publicly state that, however.

No way they push his return and it will probably benefit us to leave him out of the lineup at the end anyway (go for last place get the best odds of winning the lottery).

I think he's pretty much done for the year. I can see why Housley wouldn't want to publicly state that, however.

No way they push his return and it will probably benefit us to leave him out of the lineup at the end anyway (go for last place get the best odds of winning the lottery).

Absolutely, Harrington would jump all over any comments that made the Sabres appear to be tanking.

Of course there's an upside here.  Between Eichel being done for the season and our talent dump at the deadline, this team has a great shot at finishing dead last.

Odds of winning the lottery not great, but still nearly 1 in 5.  Maybe this will be our year to have some luck.

We are rebuilding ALMOST from scratch at this point, so we can use all the help we can get.

You mean if he's still a Sabre in a month's time. 

Ditto for Reinhart.  

Both could be gone, both could remain.

Nearly 1 in 5? Sign me up!

Isn't coming in last and guaranteeing you one of the big 4 draft picks, provIding Jack help next season, not at least a sliver of positive? .

The damage done to the work Housley has done outweighs a 5 percent better chance at Dahlin, if this team gets dominated finishing out the season.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Losing your franchise player is the only honorable way to end up winning a lottery pick.

Only silver lining I've got.

Still won't root for the losses.  Let's see Sam, Kyle, and ROR pick up the pieces and make something of what's left of the season.

The damage done to the work Housley has done outweighs a 5 percent better chance at Dahlin, if this team gets dominated finishing out the season.

I understand where you are coming regarding the extra five percent in the lottery, but it also matters for draft order.

The Sabres had 3 more points then Arizona after the 15-16, those three points all came in OT/SO Losses. That was the difference between drafting Clayton Keller and Alexander Nylander.

The momentum of that season certainly didn’t carry over.

Another high ankle sprain, this time on the other leg. We'll see him in late March at the earliest, but very easily he's out for the rest of the season. I am NOT saying he's injury prone, but he definitely could beneift from more focused leg strengthening rehab between now and October.

Better start doing some one leg bosu ball stands, various bosu ball exercises and some band work with the ankles...

He could use some strength down there

Better start doing some one leg bosu ball stands, various bosu ball exercises and some band work with the ankles...

He could use some strength down there

Do you not think he does all that stuff?  There's no amount of strength and conditioning that would have saved his leg on a play where he was braced for a hit, then a stick went under his right skate and the defender barreled into him right next to the boards.  Certainly not a dirty play, just an unfortunate accident.  

Silver lining: the rest of the core can prove to themselves that they can score/win without Eichel. They still played a great game after he went out.

As far as the team building confidence and the core believing in one another, this is actually a very good test. I predict further growth will ensue.

I don’t see any positives or silver linings to this at all.

The ONLY positive is we've seen Eichel bounce back from a HAS and eventually return to form. A knee could've lowered his ceiling if it was bad enough. Though an ankle could also theoretically lower it as well, woukd be very surprised (and tremendously disappointed) if that were the case.

This season started as the most frustrating in memory & is shaping up to end that way as well.

Hopefully this is '73-'74. :censored:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.