Star Wars -The Last Jedi

Brawndo

Saw it on Friday night at the North Park Theater. I really enjoyed the movie and was glad that they managed to make this one feel more original in terms of plot. But mostly I came here to say that the North Park theater is effing gorgeous and and a pretty cool throwback movie experience. Certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new Regal/AMC theaters, but it was a genuinely fun experience. I'm really glad they put in the effort to remodel and bring back that gem on Hertel.  :thumbsup:

Will discuss more Star Wars after the spoilers ban.

How was screen visibility? The pictures on their website make it seem like the screen would be tough to enjoy from the very back. 

i have a curse in regards to going to the movies. i havent been able to go to a movie in 10 years without someone doing something to irritate me to the point of taking me out of the movie during that time.

this was no different. about halfway into it, some <insert curse word here> came into the move with his cell phone flashlight on walking back and forth. finally coming into my isle, walking to the guy on the end and proceeded to tell him that the guy was in his seat quite loudly. the guy finally said this move has been going on for over an hour and perhaps he was in the wrong theater. of course the guy cant just leave without yelling everyone makes mistakes you dont have to be a <BLANK> about it. 

star wars is my main thing. typically i skip movies in the theaters because of the history of creeps in the area. interrupting the movie like this is infuriating. it was kind of an important scene too, and i dont really know what happened

How was screen visibility? The pictures on their website make it seem like the screen would be tough to enjoy from the very back. 

I thought is was just fine. The theater is huge, and we sat in the center-middle so we had a great view. Ironically this may be one of the few theaters where the front few rows aren't utter dogsh!t viewing, since it is less of a slope than modern theaters. It's basically a stage theater for concerts and plays that now has a giant movie screen on the stage, so there isn't really a bad seat anywhere.

TL:DR My wife is blind and had no complaints on her viewing experience.

I thought is was just fine. The theater is huge, and we sat in the center-middle so we had a great view. Ironically this may be one of the few theaters where the front few rows aren't utter dogsh!t viewing, since it is less of a slope than modern theaters. It's basically a stage theater for concerts and plays that now has a giant movie screen on the stage, so there isn't really a bad seat anywhere.

TL:DR My wife is blind and had no complaints on her viewing experience.

How was the crowd? 

Saw it on Friday night at the North Park Theater. I really enjoyed the movie and was glad that they managed to make this one feel more original in terms of plot. But mostly I came here to say that the North Park theater is effing gorgeous and and a pretty cool throwback movie experience. Certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new Regal/AMC theaters, but it was a genuinely fun experience. I'm really glad they put in the effort to remodel and bring back that gem on Hertel.  :thumbsup:

Will discuss more Star Wars after the spoilers ban.

I miss that theatre too. Use to go to Van Slykes pharmacy before hand to get candy etc and remember seeing the Billy Jack movies there....

Watched it instead of Sabres-Bruins tonight. Very solid. Very different Star Wars film; very different structure. I’ll have to rewatch a couple times to gather more thoughts. I enjoyed it quite well. My only distraction were there were a handful too many inserted laugh/levity moments when they were heading toward cathartic moments.

Finally got around to seeing it tonight.

I didn't hate.  Didn't love it either.

I'll agree with those that felt the humor didn't fit.  It's a fairly dark and violent movie.  It just didn't work.  Like they were trying to fit the cutesy, kid humor into a much darker movie.

A couple of the large moments in the movie seemed way too forced as well.  I realize that it is fantasy and some suspension of reality is needed, but the scenes I'm thinking of required too much suspension of reality.

And after 2 movies I'm convinced that I'm not a fan of Kylo Ren as a villain.  He doesn't come off as menacing.  Even his look is wrong.

Having said that, the action sequences were very well conceived.  For the most part, I enjoyed the story.  The effects were splendid. 

I thought it was good, not great, but good.  If you are a big Star Wars fan than to those people I would think they loved it.

All I can say for sure is that it was a lot better than the force awakens, I have no idea how so many people loved that movie, I actually thought there were so many things that didn't make sense in it..it made it a bad movie.  Last Jedi is much better.

Finally got around to seeing it tonight.

I didn't hate. Didn't love it either.

I'll agree with those that felt the humor didn't fit. It's a fairly dark and violent movie. It just didn't work. Like they were trying to fit the cutesy, kid humor into a much darker movie.

A couple of the large moments in the movie seemed way too forced as well. I realize that it is fantasy and some suspension of reality is needed, but the scenes I'm thinking of required too much suspension of reality.

And after 2 movies I'm convinced that I'm not a fan of Kylo Ren as a villain. He doesn't come off as menacing. Even his look is wrong.

Having said that, the action sequences were very well conceived. For the most part, I enjoyed the story. The effects were splendid.

I definitely agree that Kylo lacks menace. However, I love him to pieces as a villain. Utterly compelling. He's far and away the most interesting Star Wars villain from any of the movies.

I definitely agree that Kylo lacks menace. However, I love him to pieces as a villain. Utterly compelling. He's far and away the most interesting Star Wars villain from any of the movies.

We are definitely going to disagree there. I cant get past his weird look and the contrived temper tantrums.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/23/the-audience-strikes-back-last-jedis-77-fri-to-fri-plunge-is-worst-ever-for-a-star-wars-pic/#7360764757fa

Disney shouldn’t bank on the hardcore, cosplay, convention crew like myself seeing this film 6, 7, 8, 9 times. Episode 8: The Last Jedi set out to kill everything about episodes 1-7 and succeeded. I’m not excited by Solo or episode 9. Star Wars is done for me.”

This is a tad bit harsh, since the prequels were horrible.

But with that large of a decline, does LucasFilm and Disney look at replacing Rian Johnson on the new trilogy?

I would rather they not as Johnson's Vision for The Last Jedi would be perfect in a new separate saga.

I'm looking forward to seeing this on Tuesday. As someone who has been a giant Star Wars nerd his whole life, if I like it then I don't think anyone should have a problem with it.

I'm hoping it surprises me by trashing all the formerly "canon" expanded universe stuff from my childhood. I'd like a story I've never read before. Give me all the Star Wars.

I'm looking forward to seeing this on Tuesday. As someone who has been a giant Star Wars nerd his whole life, if I like it then I don't think anyone should have a problem with it.

I'm hoping it surprises me by trashing all the formerly "canon" expanded universe stuff from my childhood. I'd like a story I've never read before. Give me all the Star Wars.

post-3436-0-99960900-1514133123_thumb.jpg

I think they'd have to really screw it up for me to not like it. I liked Force Awakens. I liked Rogue One.

I'm happy for new content that doesn't have anything to do with George Lucas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/12/23/the-audience-strikes-back-last-jedis-77-fri-to-fri-plunge-is-worst-ever-for-a-star-wars-pic/#7360764757fa

Disney shouldn’t bank on the hardcore, cosplay, convention crew like myself seeing this film 6, 7, 8, 9 times. Episode 8: The Last Jedi set out to kill everything about episodes 1-7 and succeeded. I’m not excited by Solo or episode 9. Star Wars is done for me.”

This is a tad bit harsh, since the prequels were horrible.

But with that large of a decline, does LucasFilm and Disney look at replacing Rian Johnson on the new trilogy?

I would rather they not as Johnson's Vision for The Last Jedi would be perfect in a new separate saga.

IMO comments like this just support what I've long felt: much of the love of the original trilogy is nostalgia-driven. Many hardcore Star Wars fans are literally incapable of accepting anything that isn't the originals. It's why reaction was so positive to The Force Awakens: it was essentially A New Hope redux.

IMO comments like this just support what I've long felt: much of the love of the original trilogy is nostalgia-driven. Many hardcore Star Wars fans are literally incapable of accepting anything that isn't the originals. It's why reaction was so positive to The Force Awakens: it was essentially A New Hope redux.

Interesting take. That is probably a large part of my affection for E7. But I thought Rouge 1 was also very good. The last 30 minutes made this a good movie, but getting to there was a slog. (Hoping that stating that opinion didn't require a spoiler tag. It could be a product of a PA level of curmudgeonry just as easily as the movie's ebb & flow leaving a bit to desire. ;))

I saw it today with a bunch of family members.  About 1/3 of us liked it and 2/3 did not.  I was in the group that liked it, but like the superhero movies I don't expect much out of these other than popcorn entertainment.  There were some amazing scenes, to be sure. 

I read the thread but didn't see any suggestions as to when the spoiler ban should end.  Does anyone have a preference?  Jan. 31?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.