Star Wars -The Last Jedi

Brawndo

12 hours ago, GoPre said:

Giving two big thumbs up to Disney’s Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.  Wife and I had an early access to the latest Disney attraction.  As soon as we entered the park, it felt like we were in a “galaxy far, far away....”.  Felt like we were actually on set for a Star Wars movie.  Having an opportunity to stand next to ships and droids you’ve only seen in movies is really cool.  Even got to have blue milk while walking around.  The obvious must do was piloting the millennium falcon while on smugglers run.  Very exciting and so life like.  If you ever get a chance to go to Disney, do not miss out.  Loved every minute of it.  

I'm going to Disney World this fall, and this is the thing I'm most excited about by far. Glad to hear a good review.

8 minutes ago, sabills said:

I'm going to Disney World this fall, and this is the thing I'm most excited about by far. Glad to hear a good review.

Yea, I’ll be going in May. Gonna try to book a room at the Star Wars hotel. (If it’s built by then and taking reservations). Plus i think a second ride will be built by Jan./Feb. Taking the wife, son and his GF.

Hmmm.... Jon Favreaux wrote 8 episodes.  Supposedly worked w/ George Lucas on it.  15 million spent on each episode.   And Rian Johnson had nothing to do w/ it.  Thinking it will be very good.  Drawback is a Disney + subscription will be needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

All of the non-trilogy stuff has been excellent. 

The non-trilogy material has had the benefit of not having to have Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker driven into them (and I like Rogue One, but it didn't really need Vader at all, Krennic and faux-Tarkin were suitable enough villains). The best news of The Mandalorian (apart from Space Carl Weathers!) is that Boba Fett won't be in it.

Break free, little Star Wars, you've got a whole galaxy to explore! (but I am looking forward to Ewan McGregor getting a Kenobi series).

• Like (+1) 2

The choice to cast Carl Weathers was not a good one.

Immediate distraction when he showed up on screen. Couldn't believe I saw him, actually.

The artistic direction of the trailer and general look of the film seemed really good.  Although that has largely been true in all of the films.  I hope we see some interesting new vehicles that are not derivative or simply tweaked stuff from the original movies.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The choice to cast Carl Weathers was not a good one.

Immediate distraction when he showed up on screen. Couldn't believe I saw him, actually.

The artistic direction of the trailer and general look of the film seemed really good.  Although that has largely been true in all of the films.  I hope we see some interesting new vehicles that are not derivative or simply tweaked stuff from the original movies.

Carl Weather is a distraction but Werner Herzog, Pedro Pascal, and Giancarlo Esposito aren't?

Well, I’m glad I’m not as critical and picky as some comments here.

I’m gonna enjoy Mandalorian and Obi-wan just like I’ve enjoyed every movie/show since 1977. ??

Entertainment I enjoy. Haven’t hated anything about the Star Wars movies ... except Jar Jar Binks. ?

14 hours ago, GoPre said:

Hmmm.... Jon Favreaux wrote 8 episodes.  Supposedly worked w/ George Lucas on it.  15 million spent on each episode.   And Rian Johnson had nothing to do w/ it.  Thinking it will be very good.  Drawback is a Disney + subscription will be needed.  

Love the IG-88 look there. Meanwhile:

5 minutes ago, sabills said:

Love the IG-88 look there. Meanwhile:

It's IG-11 you ignorant slut 

(I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't IG-88)

This entire thing feels like a setup.

"Oh, it's not Boba Fett. Oh it's not IG-88, oh it's not..." 

Right up until "jk it actually is Boba Fett" 

12 hours ago, darksabre said:

Carl Weather is a distraction but Werner Herzog, Pedro Pascal, and Giancarlo Esposito aren't?

Well at least I've heard of one of those three people.

And as for Carl Weathers, I'm just glad to see that he found work again and can stop rummaging through the Bluth's trash.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Also, I'm really hoping for the Kylo Ren redemption arc because I've always felt that him sucking ***** as a bad guy was intentional.

Haven't put a lot of thought or effort into possible twists, but this is the first I'm seeing someone think his bad-guy act was intentional.  I kind of like the thought.  Hither to, I just thought he was bad in a Anakin Skywalker/Hayden Christensen way - not that he may have been planted.  I really do like that possibility.

4 minutes ago, ... said:

Haven't put a lot of thought or effort into possible twists, but this is the first I'm seeing someone think his bad-guy act was intentional.  I kind of like the thought.  Hither to, I just thought he was bad in a Anakin Skywalker/Hayden Christensen way - not that he may have been planted.  I really do like that possibility.

I think we're supposed to see Kylo Ren as feckless and bumbling, a half-assed version of a real bad guy. But the question has always been: to what end?

To me it certainly feels like the story we're going to be told is one of the fragility of the dark side of the force. For all its raw power it never seems to be able to overcome something inherent in the Skywalker bloodline. We get that started way back with Vader's redemption arc in the first trilogy. I mean, Kylo worships a dark side icon who wasn't even a full convert in the end!

Sure, Kylo kills Han without trouble: Han isn't a Skywalker.

But Skywalkers seem to be unable to kill their own.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m thinking Rey as a Sith is the equivalent of Luke seeing his face inside Darth Vader’s Helmet in Empire Strikes Back 

I feel like there's a reason they brought Darth Maul back...

34 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think we're supposed to see Kylo Ren as feckless and bumbling, a half-assed version of a real bad guy. But the question has always been: to what end?

To me it certainly feels like the story we're going to be told is one of the fragility of the dark side of the force. For all its raw power it never seems to be able to overcome something inherent in the Skywalker bloodline. We get that started way back with Vader's redemption arc in the first trilogy. I mean, Kylo worships a dark side icon who wasn't even a full convert in the end!

Sure, Kylo kills Han without trouble: Han isn't a Skywalker.

But Skywalkers seem to be unable to kill their own.

He was one bit of stupid writing away from killing his mother though.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

He was one bit of stupid writing away from killing his mother though.

Depends ... by 'stupid writing' do you mean Leia's superman revival or that he didn't actually pull the trigger?

I would say the former, in which case, he couldn't kill his mother.  He hesitated and his wingman took the shot.

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

Imperial Star Destroyers? A ghost fleet?

Rey with a scary lightsaber and very obvious Sith eyes?

C3PO with spooky red eyes too?

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

I'm not sure those are Sith eyes on Rey.  Just because she has the funky red lightsabre and the hoody, doesn't mean she was turned or is Sith.

However, we're still not sure if she is a Skywalker, while we do know that Ren is.  You might be on to something with the earlier comment we discussed.  Maybe BOTH are plants.  Maybe Ren was forced to walk in the Dark Side early with the hopes that he comes out of it as disgruntled by the whole Force thing as Luke eventually became.

Maybe Rey was planted by Snoke as his ace-in-the-hole.  Snoke has been pretty lenient with Ren so far, maybe Snoke anticipates some sort of long-distance chess game with Luke, and Rey and Ren are pawns.

The C3PO thing is spooky.  I was initially like, "naw, has to be angles or lighting".  However, I paused that section and took a real look.  He does look evil and that part makes it almost look like C3PO is commanding an Imperial Star Destroyer, one of which puts the red ray down on whatever planet that is.

Edited by ...
dork

29 minutes ago, Weave said:

My prediction is that there will not be a happy ending to the Star Wars saga.  The cowboys in the white hats don't overcome the cowboys in the black hats.

I think the final message will be that power corrupts.  Always.

It's distinctly possible, though I have my doubts. This movie is set to close out the 9 movie story of the Skywalkers, so I think it's going to have a to have a somewhat happy, or at least tidy, ending in order to give them a clean slate for the next Trilogy that is going to tell a completely different story. I think they're going to need to give fans an ending with some closure so that there are no limits on what they can do in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, carpandean said:

Depends ... by 'stupid writing' do you mean Leia's superman revival or that he didn't actually pull the trigger?

I would say the former, in which case, he couldn't kill his mother.  He hesitated and his wingman took the shot.

The wingman fired?  I never noticed that.  Then again, I may block out a lot of details from that movie because I thought it mostly sucked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.