Sabres prospects in the World Juniors this year

GASabresIUFAN

The WJC starts tomorrow with Russia vs. Czech Republic at noon, Canada vs. Finland at 4 pm and the USA vs. Denmark at 8 pm.

The forecast for the USA vs. Canada game at New Era Field on Friday is a high of16 degrees and a low of 8 with some snow!!!  It is going to be cold up there in section 332!  Can't wait!  Go USA!!!

Has anyone made a list? I missed it if you did. This is what I got, just looking at the rosters, so I could have missed people

Finland: UKKO-PEKKA LUUKKONEN

USA: CASEY MITTELSTADT

Czech: VOJTECH BUDIK

Sweden: MARCUS DAVIDSSON, ALEXANDER NYLANDER

I think Rasmus Dhalin is there right?

Yea, I think we get him.

Some of you are jumping way ahead of yourselves...

Reinhart having a good tournament didn't translate to the NHL, because after two very solid years he's having a bad year while being screwed around and inserted all over the lineup?

Nylander having a good tournament hasn't translated so far because he had one uninspiring season as an 18 year old in the AHL, and he hasn't blown the roof off after a long-term injury as a 19 year old?

Should we want expectations to be met immediately? Sure. But not that many players do such a thing, and most don't fully show what they are going to be until they are 23-24 years old.

As for our past draft picks, most of them aren't even old enough to be in the AHL yet, or they have now just gotten there. Guhle and Asplund seem like great 2nd round picks. Fitzgerald and Pu could be very good 3rd round picks. Borgen in the 4th round. Hagel in the 6th round could be a steal. Olofsson in the 7th could be an even bigger steal. Cornel, Johansson, Stephens, Budik and Glotov are all still too young to truly make a call on them.

We won't know for 2 more years or so who they really are as NHL players.

William Karlsson was a 2nd round pick in 2011, and now in 2017 he is finding who he is and has become a hell of a player...up until now he had not really done much with 50 points in 183 NHL games and 33 points in 61 AHL games.

Vladislav Namestnikov was a 2011 1st round pick who just now, at 25 years old, is breaking out into being a top-6 player. (He only had 79 points in his first 201 NHL games before this season.)

Give these kids time...and in the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

(The one thing this team does need to do better is find the next Panarin or Donskoi, or the next Zaitsev...keep mining for players overseas.)

Edited by Dank Dangleson

Some of you are jumping way ahead of yourselves...

Reinhart having a good tournament didn't translate to the NHL, because after two very solid years he's having a bad year while being screwed around and inserted all over the lineup?

Nylander having a good tournament hasn't translated so far because he had one uninspiring season as an 18 year old in the AHL, and he hasn't blown the roof off after a long-term injury as a 19 year old?

Should we want expectations to be met immediately? Sure. But not that many players do such a thing, and most don't fully show what they are going to be until they are 23-24 years old.

As for our past draft picks, most of them aren't even old enough to be in the AHL yet, or they have now just gotten there. Guhle and Asplund seem like great 2nd round picks. Fitzgerald and Pu could be very good 3rd round picks. Borgen in the 4th round. Hagel in the 6th round could be a steal. Olofsson in the 7th could be an even bigger steal. Cornel, Johansson, Stephens, Budik and Glotov are all still too young to truly make a call on them.

We won't know for 2 more years or so who they really are as NHL players.

William Karlsson was a 2nd round pick in 2011, and now in 2017 he is finding who he is and has become a hell of a player...up until now he had not really done much with 50 points in 183 NHL games and 33 points in 61 AHL games.

Vladislav Namestnikov was a 2011 1st round pick who just now, at 25 years old, is breaking out into being a top-6 player. (He only had 79 points in his first 201 NHL games before this season.)

Give these kids time...and in the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

(The one thing this team does need to do better is find the next Panarin or Donskoi, or the next Zaitsev...keep mining for players overseas.)

What are we supposed to do get excited about a draft eligible guy playing like in this tourney? 

That said, the bolded point is so important. Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, Mittlestadt. These guys won't be who they are until 23 or 24 years old. 

What are we supposed to do get excited about a draft eligible guy playing like ###### in this tourney? 

That said, the bolded point is so important. Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, Mittlestadt. These guys won't be who they are until 23 or 24 years old. 

Regardless of age, after 3 full time seasons in the league, I think we can make very good judgements about who they are.  Certainly, we can make fairly accurate projections about it.  In the group you mention, only Mittlestadt is an unknown.  Nylander has missed enough time that we aren't sure where he projects yet, but by middle of next season I think he'll have been a pro long enough to have a pretty good handle on what he will become, even if he is only going to be 21.

Regardless of age, after 3 full time seasons in the league, I think we can make very good judgements about who they are.  Certainly, we can make fairly accurate projections about it.  In the group you mention, only Mittlestadt is an unknown.  Nylander has missed enough time that we aren't sure where he projects yet, but by middle of next season I think he'll have been a pro long enough to have a pretty good handle on what he will become, even if he is only going to be 21.

Which is it? 3 full seasons, or barely 2 seasons? Nylander missed 16 games this season and next season would be his 3rd. We should probably wait until the end of the next season, his 3rd season.  

Watch the WJC not because of prospects, but because it is an entertaining brand of hockey - more entertaining than the NHL.

These youngsters have yet to be coached into low-event robotic perfection.

Mistakes still happen, mistakes create space, space creates the spectacular.

And the passion is unquestioned.

You guys are privileged to have it your backyard.

Hope you get an opportunity to watch.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Watch the WJC not because of prospects, but because it is an entertaining brand of hockey - more entertaining than the NHL.

Heading in about 15 minutes from now. 6 or 7 glorious hours of the best young players in the world, then will settle in watching the US game after getting back home. Have been looking forward to this for a long time. :beer:

:beer:

I love this tournament.

Nylander only gets 2 plus of 5 from Swedish experts, saying "He looks very lost sometimes, its like he is not here"

Consistent with what everyone local and on here has noticed of him too. Not good

Saw the first ten minutes of Finland-Canada and Ukka-Pekka-Wokka didn't look impressive.  Maybe he's still "finding his legs"  or whatever.

That first goal shouldn't have counted though.

To be fair from what I've read Finland's defense isn't doing him any favors

Consistent with what everyone local and on here has noticed of him too. Not good

To be fair from what I've read Finland's defense isn't doing him any favors

Alex might having personal issues we dont know about, cant explain it with something else, it gotta be.

I mean, comming back from injury he would have been pumped as fk, but he is not. Something is not right here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.