"What's wrong with Dad?" Thoughts on the core problem with the Buffalo NHL franchise

PASabreFan

But the Sabres didn't embark on that plan because the fans asked for it. It was the team's strategy, supported by the fans, yes. An important distinction.

Agreed.  A large, vocal group of fans wanted to see a tank.  I'm nearly 100% certain the team went about deciding to tank independently of the fans wishes.  Both the team and a large portion of the fans saw the players coming and fell for the siren song of McEichel.  It seemed like a lottery ticket with sure odds of winning.  Like drilling a well, I suppose.  Except it's not like drilling a well.

I can see why Pegula fell for it.  And I guess the same thing that drives the NYS lottery and Batavia Downs crowds drew a big chunk of the fanbase.

Sure. But again, what the fans WANT should be irrelevant if there are competent decision makers in place. The Sabres aren't a democracy.

In the end it was the Franchise's course of action and their's alone.

Sure,… and the Bills hired Rex Ryan for football reasons.

I'm goin' back to Russ Brandon.

Agreed. A large, vocal group of fans wanted to see a tank. I'm nearly 100% certain the team went about deciding to tank independently of the fans wishes. Both the team and a large portion of the fans saw the players coming and fell for the siren song of McEichel. It seemed like a lottery ticket with sure odds of winning. Like drilling a well, I suppose. Except it's not like drilling a well.

I can see why Pegula fell for it. And I guess the same thing that drives the NYS lottery and Batavia Downs crowds drew a big chunk of the fanbase.

Yup.

Honestly, it's not even unreasonable or unexpected. Fans WANT to believe. They want to support the decisions made because we want to think we are headed in the right direction. When was the last time a trade, signing, or hiring was disliked by the majority of the fans? It's very rare. In retrospect everyone knows know that Murray wasn't a great GM, but the majority, myself included, sang his praises.

I can't fault the fans. I feel bad for them.

Sure,… and the Bills hired Rex Ryan for football reasons.I'm goin' back to Russ Brandon.

But again, that's not the fans fault.

We are children in this scenario, accepting whatever their parents give them for Christmas. Just because the fans ASK for something doesn't mean it should be given. Take caution, it may not make sense for those fans long term interest, or the financial success of the team.

Mangagment needs to do what's right for the franchise, sometimes in spite of what the fans want. The responsibility is on them, as not only are they being paid to do so, they have access to much more information that can inform their decisions.

They must be cognizant of the fact that fans are making decisions half-blind.

Edited by Thorny

A big reason why the Sabres are in the position they are is because Murray screwed up the tank/rebuild in multiple ways. Murray tried speeding up the rebuild by trading for established young players such as Kane, O’Reilly, Bogosian, etc... By doing that, Murray traded away numerous draft picks that the team was stockpiling as well as trade away a lot of prospects. Also, Murray tried building the Sabres the same way Doug Whaley was building the Bills and that was by having a collection of talented players vice building a team that can play a particular system and that could/should have chemistry together.

I think Botterill/Housley should redo the roster so it fits in with what Housley is trying to do. With the way the team has been playing, no player should be safe from trade.

No respectable GM will tank. A GM who tanks is a GM who wants to take shortcuts.

Why would anyone be surprised when GMTM tried other, non-tank related shortcuts, as well? Anyone who would think of tanking would, IMO, by definition, not be fit to manage a team.

To the Buffalo fans- there seems to be a complex about just winning a cup, to say we won it. Like, to the extent that enjoying watching a season of hockey isn't really the goal; the goal is just to say we won.

I'd rather watch 2-3 seasons per decade of a Drury/Briere caliber team not win a cup, than this disaster we have now. If we see a build up in 2-3 years, then a cup... no, it wasn't really worth it.

Edited by ericcomposer72

A big reason why the Sabres are in the position they are is because Murray screwed up the tank/rebuild in multiple ways. Murray tried speeding up the rebuild by trading for established young players such as Kane, O’Reilly, Bogosian, etc... By doing that, Murray traded away numerous draft picks that the team was stockpiling as well as trade away a lot of prospects. Also, Murray tried building the Sabres the same way Doug Whaley was building the Bills and that was by having a collection of talented players vice building a team that can play a particular system and that could/should have chemistry together.

I think Botterill/Housley should redo the roster so it fits in with what Housley is trying to do. With the way the team has been playing, no player should be safe from trade.

The problem is Phil. You'll see. The team is a reflection of it's coach. Phil was a soft player (talented, but soft) This team is a soft as Wonder bread. (and it's tolerated) Yup, management chose the wrong coach for the 3rd time (Rolston, Bylsma now Phil) Nolan doesn't count as he was the babysitter for tank team.

Fair. I make a living speaking for others. I’m confident I have his position captured here.

I’m always years behind where I need to be. Maybe I lag PA? I scoffed at the tank detractors. Now? Not so much.

You need to get in on the ground floor. In 20 years, everyone will know the answer. And I have it now. Can't you smell it? Seriously, have you never smelled it down there?

As for your being my spokesperson, you're fired.

The problem is Phil. You'll see. The team is a reflection of it's coach. Phil was a soft player (talented, but soft) This team is a soft as Wonder bread. (and it's tolerated) Yup, management chose the wrong coach for the 3rd time (Rolston, Bylsma now Phil) Nolan doesn't count as he was the babysitter for tank team.

Agree with this one. I wouldn’t have selected anybody affiliated with the sabres

The Sabres right now are more a reflection of Murray.

The 'core' is Murray's.  JBOT is slowly trying to make it his.

I am 50/50 that JBOT will blow it up and start over, especially if he really thinks Housley is the guy to coach the team to the promised land.

• 2 years later...

I loved re-reading this thread. Like Michael Scott teasing a big surprise at the end of the work day, I claimed to know the true answer to what's wrong with dad, kept leading people along and ended up at "Cheerios Inhalation Syndrome (CIS)." Which killed the thread. Everyone shuffled out disappointed.

A good time to revisit things after these past games. WHAT IS WRONG WITH DAD? They're still doing tests, and the doctors are still confounded. Meanwhile, last night, they found dad down at Applebee's again, trying to order a ham sandwich, the chipped kind, on white bread.

Conor, over to you:

‘“Throughout the two years I was here, the team struggled a little bit to score offensively and to put together good seasons. For whatever reason, we were stuck in a rut. I take a little bit of responsibility in that because I came in to be an offensive guy and help the scoring. But for whatever reason, it didn’t work. I don’t know what it is. You didn’t create chemistry maybe, I don’t know. It’s unfortunate that it didn’t work out but that’s the way it went.”’

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins-notebook-conor-sheary-makes-return-to-buffalo/

Edited by PASabreFan

It's the Ranch dressing.

I've yet to hear a player on the roster outside of Eichel answer blue cheese when asked to choose for chicken wings.

It's what worries me about Dahlin, he answered Ranch when asked.

It's definitely Ranch dressing. That is the crux of what's wrong with Dad.

Thankfully there is a solution. I happen to hold a "How To" class specifically for proper Buffalo Wings consumption, and, for a modest fee would highly encourage all Sabres organization, including the owners, to attend my $1000 a class, 3 classes a week, 27 week course. All they have to bring is their own bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and their appetites. This will fix everything, after all, I offer a 49% guarantee. ?

• Awesome! (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I loved re-reading this thread. Like Michael Scott teasing a big surprise at the end of the work day, I claimed to know the true answer to what's wrong with dad, kept leading people along and ended up at "Cheerios Inhalation Syndrome (CIS)." Which killed the thread. Everyone shuffled out disappointed.

A good time to revisit things after these past games. WHAT IS WRONG WITH DAD? They're still doing tests, and the doctors are still confounded. Meanwhile, last night, they found dad down at Applebee's again, trying to order a ham sandwich, the chipped kind, on white bread.

Conor, over to you:

‘“Throughout the two years I was here, the team struggled a little bit to score offensively and to put together good seasons. For whatever reason, we were stuck in a rut. I take a little bit of responsibility in that because I came in to be an offensive guy and help the scoring. But for whatever reason, it didn’t work. I don’t know what it is. You didn’t create chemistry maybe, I don’t know. It’s unfortunate that it didn’t work out but that’s the way it went.”’

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins-notebook-conor-sheary-makes-return-to-buffalo/

Sheary is absolutely one of the guys I'd love to hear talk off the record. Something about him always made me think he was raising his eyebrows the whole time he was here.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sheary is absolutely one of the guys I'd love to hear talk off the record. Something about him always made me think he was raising his eyebrows the whole time he was here.

I listened to his pre-game comments from yesterday, quoted above, and I totally agree with you.

If you could get in the right atmosphere with him being genuine, he would be a good guy to talk to about how it really is off the record. 

I don't think it's that complicated though; Buffalo is not a sexy destination for a lot of players, we are (and have been) probably a bottom 3 or 5 franchise in the league for a decade now, it's not getting any better, and there really isn't a concrete plan in sight for how things are going to get better.

Especially if you are a guy used to a winning organization and have a ring, how in the world would you be happy about winding up in Buffalo?  It's just a business for these guys anyway, and they all make way too much money now.  

Players know how to suck it up, pad that retirement fund, and keep on keeping on.

I wonder how many players on the team right now are thinking about the day when they are playing elsewhere.

Sheary seemed to be quite happy to be off the sinking ship.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.