"What's wrong with Dad?" Thoughts on the core problem with the Buffalo NHL franchise

PASabreFan

I do think a larger truth is out there. The incorrect call on the spin of that wheel, corrected; the slaying of a defenseless bat; that 14-4 win over the Leafs. We are paying the price.

I started watching the video, and it sounded like it might be sorta funny. But then it started to drag.

You're moving on from being Pangloss and turning into Fox Mulder. 

Also, as I posed a few days ago:

I apologize if this has been stated upthread, but I'm done wanting or expecting anything out of this team until further notice (from me, to me, I guess).

On a more metaphysical level (I think), I'm working to reject the ever popular (and, frankly, quite tired) narrative of the long-suffering sports fan.

Sports are fun. They're supposed to be fun. Sometimes, there will be disappointment when a desirable achievement is within sight but not secured. But we're a long way from that sort of thing. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

We get it. The OP hates the Pegulas. Nothing to see here. 

To which I said:

Enough of that. For present purposes, anyway.

And you added to the effect of:

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution!

And then you said this about the end of that TL;DW video. 

The ending was nailed.

Which tends to confirm (in fact, confirms) what Sakman said.

I do think a larger truth is out there. The incorrect call on the spin of that wheel, corrected; the slaying of a defenseless bat; that 14-4 win over the Leafs. We are paying the price.

It's a good movie except when the narrator starts with the expletives. He should have done it straight. It would have been funnier and more legitimate sounding. I'm so sick of everybody f-ing swearing all the time, whereever I go. 

One of the Bills a long time said that Buffalo is nothing more than a glorified Fargo, ND and it is. Really Buffalo has no business being in the big leagues. It's a nice, high class minor league town, that's all. Wins championships in the minors. Does well consistently in the minors. The town just can't support the megabucks things that goes along with being a big league franchise. Just not big enough. Doesn't belong there. Any success here is by accident, not a result of building. 

There is something fundamentally cursed about Buffalo and the majors. The owners are too cheap or too dumb or both and the franchises show the trickle-down effect. They cant outwit the city slickers. The gene pool isnt high grade enough. And the fans of Buffalo are the yearning ones with Stockholm Syndrome. 

It's sad but I think there is nothing that can be done.

post-2267-0-04099900-1512146218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marvelo

Paramore starts with a PA... coincidence? I think not.

What's your point? That there's nothing fundamentally wrong with franchise, or if there is, it's not worth discussing, beyond the reason du jour, Eichel having the wrong winger or something?

To which I said:

And you added to the effect of:

And then you said this about the end of that TL;DW video. 

Which tends to confirm (in fact, confirms) what Sakman said.

This seems like a lot of neither here not there hoohah. Of course I dislike him as an owner. I'd love to be proven wrong one of these years. I'm looking for deeper answers, and Marvelo has won the thread so far with his latest.

I think it is nothing more simple than a really bad decision was made. Well, two I guess.

I still believe that choosing to setup a team to lose has far reaching implications that weren’t considered.

And, they didn’t consider what needed to be done to limit those implications. I’ve mentioned before that Pit set up Crosby right. Mostly because of the huge vet presence he walked in to. But there is something else to be considered. And it may be bigger than having the right vets on the team. Respecting the fans. Besides vets, the other thing the Pens had in plenty when Crosby showed up was grit, character guys. It does two things. 1. Forces the shiny new toy to see what hard work it is to be in the league, and 2. These players give the fans someone to root for. It keeps the rink lively even when the team isn’t very good.

I think that Buffalo did it right when Hasek first took over this team. The effort that May, Ray, Barnaby put out there kept the fans in the game and kept the arena a freindly confine for the team even when they sucked. And that helped the team transition into later success.

This seems like a lot of neither here not there hoohah. Of course I dislike him as an owner. I'd love to be proven wrong one of these years. I'm looking for deeper answers, and Marvelo has won the thread so far with his latest.

Huh?

It’s just boring to return to the “Pegula sucks” trope.

If you’re cheering Marvelo’s content (I don’t see it), then I’m likely done here.

I think it is nothing more simple than a really bad decision was made. Well, two I guess.

I still believe that choosing to setup a team to lose has far reaching implications that weren’t considered.

And, they didn’t consider what needed to be done to limit those implications. I’ve mentioned before that Pit set up Crosby right. Mostly because of the huge vet presence he walked in to. But there is something else to be considered. And it may be bigger than having the right vets on the team. Respecting the fans. Besides vets, the other thing the Pens had in plenty when Crosby showed up was grit, character guys. It does two things. 1. Forces the shiny new toy to see what hard work it is to be in the league, and 2. These players give the fans someone to root for. It keeps the rink lively even when the team isn’t very good.

I think that Buffalo did it right when Hasek first took over this team. The effort that May, Ray, Barnaby put out there kept the fans in the game and kept the arena a freindly confine for the team even when they sucked. And that helped the team transition into later success.

This is just excellent.

Way more nuts and bolts than PA would like, I think, but spot on.

My only issue with this is that by tanking, the team did respect the fans by giving what a majority of them wanted.

My only issue with this is that by tanking, the team did respect the fans by giving what a majority of them wanted.

I can't see that being the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, not being from Buffalo - but I'd bet your average fan just roots for wins. The hardcore demographic like us definitely was pro tank though.

A most obvious case of, be careful what you ask for.

Way more nuts and bolts than PA would like, I think, but spot on.

Let PA speak for himself.  He rarely needs anyone's help.

A most obvious case of, be careful what you ask for.

Let PA speak for himself.  He rarely needs anyone's help.

But the Sabres didn't embark on that plan because the fans asked for it. It was the team's strategy, supported by the fans, yes. An important distinction.

Is not the responsibility of the fan to understand the best possible route for a franchise. People are paid to do so.

Maybe. Plenty of fans were clamoring for that for years.

Sure. But again, what the fans WANT should be irrelevant if there are competent decision makers in place. The Sabres aren't a democracy.

In the end it was the Franchise's course of action and their's alone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.