DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I think, if you take a quick look at the West, the ideal landing spot for Kane is San Jose. They're shallow at LW, they're having goal scoring problems because Jumbo Joe is so slow now. They could use his speed to get them on par with the rest of the West in team GF. 

Center Adam Henrique, forward Joe Blandisi and a third-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft were acquired by the Anaheim Ducks in a trade with the New Jersey Devils on Thursday for defenseman Sami Vatanenand a conditional third-round draft pick.

So that doesn't make Kane a priority to the ducks any more I guess.

Maybe not. But it makes Kane a lot more valuable

Is anyone advocating for just draft picks?

No.

So now we have two major trades, that should help Jbot determine Kane’s value. These were the key forwards in the deals

Henrique 27, 455gms 122g, 135a for 257 pts; 1 30gl season, 2 20gl seasons - $4,000,000 with one year left after this season.

Duchene 26, 595 gms, 179g, 250a for 429 pts; 1 30 gl season, 4 20 gl seasons - $6,000,000 with one year left after this season

Turris 28, 553 gms, 138g, 189a for 327 pts, 3 20gl seasons - $3.5 this season and re-signed to 6 years for 36 mill.

Kane 26, 521 gms, 169g ,154a for 323 pts, 1 30 gl seasons, 2 20 gl seasons - $5.25 this season and then RFA, but having the best year of the group w 23 pts (12g) in 25 gms this season.

Henrique plus young depth forward Blandisi and a 3rd for a No 3/4 D in Vatanen who is earning 4.875 for this season plus 2 more.

Colorado received for Duchene a slew of picks and prospects plus a backup goalie in Hammond. They receeived Ott’s 1st in 2018, Nash 2nd in 2018, & Ott’s 3rd in 2019, plus Bowers (Ott’s 1st in 2017), Girard (Nash 2nd in 2016) and Kamenev (Nash 2nd in 2014).

Turris essentially cost Nash the pick and 2 prospects. (Both prospects have already played for hecAvs

Duchene essentially cost Ott Turris, Hammond, the 2017 prospect and 2 picks.

So what is he worth? I might have considered Kane for Vatenan straight up.

New Jersey sure is building a nice team over there...anyways with Ullmark called up obviously a goaltender is going to be included in any deal. While people on here and other sites go on and on about how we should keep kane and trade all our terrible big contracts such as Moulson and Bogosian, the truth no doubt is kane wants to go to a contender (don't blame him) and no one wants these other guys or their terrible contracts. Even Okposo is lost without Johnny T over on the Island (who has made both Moulson and Okposo look great and is doing the same thing with lee now).

In the end, we might as well go young cause this sure ain't working right now, which concerns me because guys like OReilly and okposo are supposedly in their prime and if we are going young then they will be done by th etime the young players are ready to hopefully excel. kinda makes one think we should try and clear house and start over. Still not sold on Jack either (he is good but we need a stud to build around, not a guy who pouts every game)...

Even Okposo is lost without Johnny T over on the Island (who has made both Moulson and Okposo look great and is doing the same thing with lee now).

giphy.gif

Take a look at his box scores, you'll notice a trend. Also, actually watch him in games. I have no doubt Okposo will not be worth it at the end of his deal but right now he is... fine. Especially considering the shitshow that is this team and the fact he spent time in the ICU this summer, feel like people are just trying to find a scapegoat. 

I've come around to trading Kane. Listening to the Instigators yesterday someone said a reporter asked Kane if he would even negotiate with the Sabres and he was non-committal. He's never played for a contending team. Why should he waste his career here?

Yup. I don't know why there's going to be any drama surrounding this situation. He's not returning and they have to trade him for the best return they can get. Given the season he's having and the state of the team, that return is going to earn Botterill a lot of grief from most fans.

Trade Kane for futures, Reinhart for a defenceman and sign Johnny T

The last thing this team needs right now is to target high profile FAs that will command top dollar and term not to mention that there's no reason Tavares would come here for the same reason there's no chance Kane will re-sign here. This team is a disaster and they want to compete.

Re: Kane, I'm wondering if JBots wants to trade him sooner rather than wait for a bidding war at the trade deadline. If Kane gets injured, which is in the realm of possibility that could hinder our returns if it's anything serious.

Trade Kane for futures, Reinhart for a defenceman and sign Johnny T

I was recalling earlier how Reinhart missed that team meeting or workout session and bristled in the media about how " happens." I wonder if Botterill is itching to break up the Rat Pack and get Evander and Sam away from Jack?

I was recalling earlier how Reinhart missed that team meeting or workout session and bristled in the media about how "###### happens." I wonder if Botterill is itching to break up the Rat Pack and get Evander and Sam away from Jack?

I said the same somewhere else. I think it's the case. Sam and Kane would be the guys I move out. 

interesting point...could be kane is a bad influence (or at least perceived to be) on jack and/or Sam. I also think there seems to be a new thought process whereby managers are more open and likely to make the big deal before, and in some cases way before the trade deadline. Also a good point made earlier is the fact that waiting opens the door for the very scary possibility that kane gets hurt then we are up the creek with a paddle. Not like this team is going anywhere (maybe down) so get it over with. sucks we can't keep him but this is without a doubt the defining moment for JBotto...if he screws up this trade...well

For all those saying the Sabres should not trade Kane..it probably isn't up to them....

From Kanes point of view....this team is awful now..doesn't look like a legit cup contender for a while..and he has NEVER played in the playoffs his entire NHL career, right?  With all that said...he probably WANTS to try out a team that is good..in the playoffs every ear.  So how could the Sabres resign him?  You'd have to make him a SUPER strong offer....overpay to a great degree to get him to stay on a team that is pretty bad.

From the Sabres point of view...even if they wanted him, do they want to overpay him that much?  5 years and $40+ million, or 7 years and $49million?  I think the Sabres may like him....but the fact you are stuck with OReilly and Okposo's bloated contracts basically means you can't overpay for Kane.  Even then, if you WANTED to, he may just decide to see if he can get the same money from another team that is in the playoffs every year.

I was recalling earlier how Reinhart missed that team meeting or workout session and bristled in the media about how "###### happens." I wonder if Botterill is itching to break up the Rat Pack and get Evander and Sam away from Jack?

That was the beginning of the end for me with Reinhart, I think. It wasn't the end of the end, mind you. But his response to that situation was poor an unprofessional. Insolent. I brushed it off a bit, though, because Dreary Dan, etc. In hindsight, I think it was just as problematic as it seemed.

I said the same somewhere else. I think it's the case. Sam and Kane would be the guys I move out. 

Yep.

And maybe don't stop there either. Move another slow-footed core piece and all the local Tim Hortons franchisees can breathe easier. Maybe.

It's gonna really suck when we move them and Jack still has 20% effort and a ###### attitude

Dude. If that's the case, then the team really is hosed.

very likely I fear, especially cause without Kane we will really be bad and jack will really pout

I think the thing is, if you can get wingers for Jack, they have to be the kind of guys who will demand more from him. I don't think Kane is making any demands of Jack. I don't think Sam is either. Is anyone on this team really in a position to do that? 

Edited by d4rksabre

I think the thing is, if you can get wingers for Jack, they have to be the kind of guys who will demand more from him. I don't think Kane is making any demands of Jack. I don't think Sam is either. Is anyone on this team really in a position to do that? 

Be careful.

You will summon him.

tumblr_os0zgooyYL1uoixvho2_500.gif