DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Makes sense...the only guy who actually plays hard every night and is having a career year, has good possession numbers on an abysmal possession team...but yeah, lets trade him...

SMFH...

https://www.google.com/amp/nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/11/29/contenders-should-jump-on-sabres-offer-to-trade-evander-kane/amp/

UPDATE:

A new report comes out that EVERYONE save for Eichel is available via trade.

http://buffalohockeycentral.com/2017/12/03/everyone-available-except-eichel/

Edited by matter2003

I'd hate to lose him, but I think it was already inevitable. I'd rather get something back from him than nothing.

Why would Kane want to re-sign in Buffalo? Especially after how awful we are this season.

And in traditional Buffalo fashion he's having a possible career year in the last year of his contract. I'd have no confidence that this year isn't just a blip though.

He's only had 30 goals once (he's averaging closer to 20/year), and he's never been close to a point/game player. Plus he's got injury issues (has never played a full 82, and has only played 70 or more games in 3/9 seasons). The injuries are probably why he's only hit 30 once, but it doesn't change his ppg production.

The only way I see him staying is if we give him several dump trucks of money. Will he be worth it, or will he be the next Molson, Leino, etc? I'm already worried Okposo is moving to the overpaid category too. We'll see if this season is just an anomaly or if it was last season that was the anomaly for him.

Plus, we have a lot of free agents this off-season (although tbh, I'm hoping we don't resign many of them and sadly Molson still has 1 more year), but we'll still need to sign roughly 10 players, with just under $18m to work with. If we give 8-10 of that Kane, that's less than $2m/person. If the timing was better, next year Molson frees up $5 the following year, and Pominville 5.6M, which would let us be able to manage another big contract.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

With how bad this team is, it's about moving Evander Kane on to greener pastures to revitalize the system.  Trading him not only makes sense, it's completely logical.  The injuries, the system glaring flaws, the lack of push on the back end, and inconsistencies.  The better hope is finding someone to dare dream on Okposo as a scoring option with the right forward group.  Personally, I've pretty much moved on to say: trade anyone outside of: Eichel, RIstolainen, Mittelstadt, Guhle and some of the kids: (Nylander, Asplund, Smith (possibly), Lekkonen).  

Adrian Kempe and Kyle Clague and a 2nd and we retain 50% of his salary. If they want to dump someone like Torrey Mitchell then that 2nd becomes a 1st. 

Kempe would be awesome! i've watched this kid play since juniors here, he has a bright future.

This is just speculations ofcourse, 

Even if Kane keeps producing, something just doesnt feel right about him, i have had this feeling all along.

He plays hard every game, he seam to take this as serious as he should but for some reason i feel that he is some what of a diva, if so it could have

huge impact on a team that doesnt have a real leader in the locker room.

I really hope im wrong, but if im not, trading Kane could do some good after all, were losing game after game even if Kane scores for us so it is what is for me, cba. 

Thoughts?

Edited by MODO Hockey

Maybe he's already told them he's testing the free agent market?

Can't be. Players are automatons that play hockey and wait for the GM and/or coach to call to let them know. Let's face it, it's entirely likely Kane "knows" just as much as fans do: most players go downhill after 30, he's injury prone, etc.. He may not be interested in waiting around for a couple more years.

Kempe would be awesome! i've watched this kid play since juniors here, he has a bright future.

This is just speculations ofcourse, 

Even if Kane keeps producing, something just doesnt feel right about him, i have had this feeling all along.

He plays hard every game, he seam to take this as serious as he should but for some reason i feel that he is some what of a diva, if so it could have

huge impact on a team that doesnt have a real leader in the locker room.

I really hope im wrong, but if im not, trading Kane could do some good after all, were losing game after game even if Kane scores for us so it is what is for me, cba. 

Thoughts?

I have precisely the same sense with Kane. It's difficult to express, and even difficult to prove with numbers or data, but it feels like there is something amiss.

He scores goals. He's said to be a full-effort sort of player. He'll stand up for teammates if there's trouble on the ice.

And yet, I have come to conclude that there is something rotten about the current core of this team. And Kane appears to be at the center of that core. He is not the only player I would like to see moved out for other players or prospects, but he's chief among them.

I'm also open to the idea that Reinhart and/or ROR have to go as well. For other NHL-caliber players, I should think. I just think the whole garden really needs to be turned over in a comprehensive way because the current roster seems deeply flawed -- not just in terms of talent but also attitude, heart, and/or professionalism.

And yet, I have come to conclude that there is something rotten about the current core of this team. And Kane appears to be at the center of that core. He is not the only player I would like to see moved out for other players or prospects, but he's chief among them.

I'm inclined to agree. Not really a big guess to say he's the guy responsible for the partying, if that really was a true rumor 

I have precisely the same sense with Kane. It's difficult to express, and even difficult to prove with numbers or data, but it feels like there is something amiss.

He scores goals. He's said to be a full-effort sort of player. He'll stand up for teammates if there's trouble on the ice.

I'm also open to the idea that Reinhart and/or ROR have to go as well. For other NHL-caliber players, I should think. I just think the whole garden really needs to be turned over in a comprehensive way because the current roster seems deeply flawed -- not just in terms of talent but also attitude, heart, and/or professionalism.

My feeling with Kane is that he has pretty much all the tools to succeed, except that for whatever reason he is incapable of developing any chemistry with his teammates. He can shoot, he can skate, he can battle, but it always feels like he's doing it independently of everyone else. I've always felt this was why Winnipeg moved him, not the off ice stuff. 

Interesting article, particularly the part about taking another team's shorter term (either expiring this year or with one additional year) cap anchor while retaining on Kane in order to maximize the return and expand the potential market of suitors for his services. I've been on the re-sign Kane side of the divide but let's face it: This team is bad, this season is basically toast and we're better off getting something for him. A contender or a team on the playoff bubble isn't going to want to give us players who can contribute now that they'd prefer to use themselves on their playoff run, so we are looking at picks or prospects who aren't quite ready to make the jump. If taking on an additional anchor aids in that process to boost the return we should do it, as long as the anchors we take on are either expiring or only have one additional season.

After this season we will be free of Gorges and after next season we'll be free of the contracts of Moulson and Pominville (although Pominville has played well) and we'll be down to just 1 additional year of Bogosian. Trading him away doesn't mean we can't try to re-sign him this summer either, although that may be tougher to do depending on what we take on if/when we deal him. Whatever GMJB decides should provide a glimpse of the timeline for the Sabres to become competitive. If he takes on an anchor with multiple years remaining, I'd say it's a partial admission that the short term outlook for the Sabres will remain bleak for a while.

Makes sense...the only guy who actually plays hard every night and is having a career year, has good possession numbers on an abysmal possession team...but yeah, lets trade him...

SMFH...

https://www.google.com/amp/nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/11/29/contenders-should-jump-on-sabres-offer-to-trade-evander-kane/amp/

Hey let's load up on draft picks again because that worked out so well for us the last time we tried it...

What is your alternative proposal for what the Sabres should do for Kane? 

What do you say to the concept that Kane is not interested in re-signing with Buffalo?

What do you believe it would take from the Sabres to get him to re-sign in Buffalo?

That's the problem I have.  If they're going to move him for actual players, then by all means go for it.

I don't think Botts is going to be looking for picks. It's prospects or vets with a few years left on their contracts who aren't dumpster fires like Matty Mo. 

Center Adam Henrique, forward Joe Blandisi and a third-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft were acquired by the Anaheim Ducks in a trade with the New Jersey Devils on Thursday for defenseman Sami Vatanenand a conditional third-round draft pick.

So that doesn't make Kane a priority to the ducks any more I guess.

Edited by Huckleberry

Thoughts?

And yet, I have come to conclude that there is something rotten about the current core of this team. And Kane...

He seems tight with Jack and Sam and has carved a comfortable spot in the room.

One wonders if Botterill has decided that’s not a good thing.

Center Adam Henrique, forward Joe Blandisi and a third-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft were acquired by the Anaheim Ducks in a trade with the New Jersey Devils on Thursday for defenseman Sami Vatanenand a conditional third-round draft pick.

So that doesn't make Kane a priority to the ducks any more I guess.

I don't know. I could see the Ducks still wanting a winger. Henrique and Blandisi don't automatically solve their injury problems. We probably wouldn't be getting NHL players back, but prospects could happen. Their AHL roster isn't looking too hot right now though, so I don't know if Anaheim is my trade partner. 

That's the problem I have.  If they're going to move him for actual players, then by all means go for it.

The problem with this is no contenders or playoff bubble teams are going to "thin their ranks" with players they will need for the playoffs. The best we can hope for are near ready prospects. They aren't going to give us roster players other than people they'd prefer not to have on their roster come playoff time.