GDT: Wild at Sabres 7PM 11-22-2017, MSG

LGR4GM

Really 9:26 and I have to come out of self imposed exile to start a GDT....

We aren't good. We aren't good because we forgot how to win. We aren't good because we think losing a game 3-2 is a sign of progress. Winning repeatedly over long periods of time is a sign of progress. Losers lose.  Trading Jack Eichel is stupid.  Hey look the Americans are actually winning!  Maybe when the Sabres stop having a pity party they will win.  

Bottom line is I expect this to get worse before it gets better.  Something has to break first and it hasn't yet. I think Housley is about ready to beat people which would be nice. 

First time Pommers and Scandella play their old team. Maybe a defender will score. it, Let's Go Buffalo. 

57e9d8293a925.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C65

It was a time like many other times in Buffalo.  The fans were upset.  The players needed to compete more. The coaches were pointing out the positives in their 30 second press briefings.

Things were bleak, like a mid-winter day on the shores of Lake Erie. The grey skies and snow flurries mounted a full on assault on happiness. There was not an ounce of cheer to go around.

No one had hope.  The Sabres would be back at again, wearing their home blues, the perfect metaphor for the fan base. A team that had so much promise at the beginning of the season. A team that had earned itself a $10M contract player. A team whose leading scorer was able to go anywhere he wanted at the end of the season. Again, like so many other times, Buffalo fans would see a great team asset leave them right when they needed it most.

But this game was more than just another 60 minute money grab for a lot of rich people.  This was the game before Thanksgiving. The game would feature a homecoming, just in time for the holidays, for one former Sabre.  Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis, both thankful, were away from the losing culture in Buffalo.  They were coming back to town as part of a team that didn't accept losing (despite having never won). 

Everyone predicted that the arena would be empty.  It was Nov. 22, the day before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest nights of the year for most bars. Why go to the Sabres game and pay $9.50 for a beer when you could go to the local watering hole and hang out with friends and family throwing back frost beverages for $3 a bottle?

The answer, as always, because Buffalo.  Because in Buffalo, the bars are open until 4am.  Because in Buffalo, the party doesn't start until 11pm.  The fans were left with two choices, they could either attend the game and then go out, or they could glide into the evening by resting up.  For some the idea of resting up was a $10M idea.  Why put forth the effort to go to the game when no other fans were putting forth the effort?  Why not look to the sky and ask some deity "Why us?"  Why not just shut it down and say, the rest of the fans are not pulling in the same direction, I'm not going to be the best I can be if everyone else isn't.

Indeed, it was a bleak time in Buffalo for the sports fan.  

But one fan had an idea.  He'd start a game day thread and at least try to bring a little life to the party.  He'd still do his best even though he knew it was nowhere near as good as others.  He'd create the thread because even a tiny spark can start a fire.  Perhaps this game day thread would spread the fires of fandom far and wide.  Perhaps, just for once, on the eve before everyone gives thanks, the fan base would show up with hope.  Perhaps, it would spread into the locker room, and for once this group of players, who had worked so hard but achieved so little could taste success.  In the locker room before the game the players would resort to horrible puns like "Let's not play like turkeys tonight.  Let's stuff the puck down their throats like the last bits of the seven-layer jello mold and the pumpkin pie.  Let's mash them into the boards like potatoes.  We will leave them bloodied, like cranberry sauce drizzled across the white dinner plate.  Let's go out there and gorge ourselves on good hockey and when we are done we will know that there will be leftovers.  We'll take those leftovers into Friday night.  We'll take the wishbone and snap it like a certain players collar bone. We will continue with our leftovers until Christmas.  It will be a great time for fans.  We will celebrate the 12 games of Christmas and then turn out the lights in NYC on Jan 1."

Welcome to the game boys and girls... it's time to get busy.

Minnesota-Wild-vs-Buffalo-Sabres-Predict

Someone will post what assuredly will be lines, in some order, that will in no way reflect the actual TOI at the end of the game.  Let's have a great GDT on here.  Let's argue like family on Thanksgiving.  Let's let PA and WildCard have too much wine and get all riled up calling people like me hopeless.  Eleven is probably drunk already.  d4rk will be close behind.

Some dude with a chicken on his head is going to show up and post pukey faces.  We'll have the 5th of November represented even though it's the 22nd.  There will be intelligent takes from people in Florida and some spirited ones from people in GA.  Early on we'll hear from our relatives from across the pond and then late into the night they'll regale us with stories of much ale consumed.  Some dude from Sweden might even show up, and we'll go nuts.

It all ends with some Smelly guy.

I know I didn't call out everyone here.  You are all awesome in your own ways.  I am thankful I get to debate with most people on here.  Even if we disagree you help keep me interested in what my viewpoints are on hockey and by doing so you keep me interested in the team and the game I love.

Enjoy the game tonight everyone.  Throw a few back and be thankful that we have a team to root for (or jeer for) and that without them we'd be left with an emptiness inside much like the people of Idaho.  I mean seriously... who the hell do people from Idaho root for?

Sabres win tonight 4-3 after Eichel and Kane connect for 3 of our 4 goals. Scandella gets the other one on the PP.  We go down 2-1 in the 2nd and fans boo them going into the locker room. They finally snap and come up angry. 

Quite frankly, I would love to see Phil snap and come out angry. Why is benching guys in this city not an option? They aren't performing so call up a rookie and bench someone. I do believe it might be a country club atmosphere in the beautifully renovated Sabres dressing room. Babcock does it or threatens to. Aside from sitting one of our D-men, maybe Phil sits a forward for once. Hell, we're barely scoring more then once per game. 

It was a time like many other times in Buffalo.  The fans were upset.  The players needed to compete more. The coaches were pointing out the positives in their 30 second press briefings.

Things were bleak, like a mid-winter day on the shores of Lake Erie. The grey skies and snow flurries mounted a full on assault on happiness. There was not an ounce of cheer to go around.

No one had hope.  The Sabres would be back at again, wearing their home blues, the perfect metaphor for the fan base. A team that had so much promise at the beginning of the season. A team that had earned itself a $10M contract player. A team whose leading scorer was able to go anywhere he wanted at the end of the season. Again, like so many other times, Buffalo fans would see a great team asset leave them right when they needed it most.

But this game was more than just another 60 minute money grab for a lot of rich people.  This was the game before Thanksgiving. The game would feature a homecoming, just in time for the holidays, for one former Sabre.  Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis, both thankful, were away from the losing culture in Buffalo.  They were coming back to town as part of a team that didn't accept losing (despite having never won). 

Everyone predicted that the arena would be empty.  It was Nov. 22, the day before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest nights of the year for most bars. Why go to the Sabres game and pay $9.50 for a beer when you could go to the local watering hole and hang out with friends and family throwing back frost beverages for $3 a bottle?

The answer, as always, because Buffalo.  Because in Buffalo, the bars are open until 4am.  Because in Buffalo, the party doesn't start until 11pm.  The fans were left with two choices, they could either attend the game and then go out, or they could glide into the evening by resting up.  For some the idea of resting up was a $10M idea.  Why put forth the effort to go to the game when no other fans were putting forth the effort?  Why not look to the sky and ask some deity "Why us?"  Why not just shut it down and say, the rest of the fans are not pulling in the same direction, I'm not going to be the best I can be if everyone else isn't.

Indeed, it was a bleak time in Buffalo for the sports fan.  

But one fan had an idea.  He'd start a game day thread and at least try to bring a little life to the party.  He'd still do his best even though he knew it was nowhere near as good as others.  He'd create the thread because even a tiny spark can start a fire.  Perhaps this game day thread would spread the fires of fandom far and wide.  Perhaps, just for once, on the eve before everyone gives thanks, the fan base would show up with hope.  Perhaps, it would spread into the locker room, and for once this group of players, who had worked so hard but achieved so little could taste success.  In the locker room before the game the players would resort to horrible puns like "Let's not play like turkeys tonight.  Let's stuff the puck down their throats like the last bits of the seven-layer jello mold and the pumpkin pie.  Let's mash them into the boards like potatoes.  We will leave them bloodied, like cranberry sauce drizzled across the white dinner plate.  Let's go out there and gorge ourselves on good hockey and when we are done we will know that there will be leftovers.  We'll take those leftovers into Friday night.  We'll take the wishbone and snap it like a certain players collar bone. We will continue with our leftovers until Christmas.  It will be a great time for fans.  We will celebrate the 12 games of Christmas and then turn out the lights in NYC on Jan 1."

Welcome to the game boys and girls... it's time to get busy.

Minnesota-Wild-vs-Buffalo-Sabres-Predict

Someone will post what assuredly will be lines, in some order, that will in no way reflect the actual TOI at the end of the game.  Let's have a great GDT on here.  Let's argue like family on Thanksgiving.  Let's let PA and WildCard have too much wine and get all riled up calling people like me hopeless.  Eleven is probably drunk already.  d4rk will be close behind.

Some dude with a chicken on his head is going to show up and post pukey faces.  We'll have the 5th of November represented even though it's the 22nd.  There will be intelligent takes from people in Florida and some spirited ones from people in GA.  Early on we'll hear from our relatives from across the pond and then late into the night they'll regale us with stories of much ale consumed.  Some dude from Sweden might even show up, and we'll go nuts.

It all ends with some Smelly guy.

I know I didn't call out everyone here.  You are all awesome in your own ways.  I am thankful I get to debate with most people on here.  Even if we disagree you help keep me interested in what my viewpoints are on hockey and by doing so you keep me interested in the team and the game I love.

Enjoy the game tonight everyone.  Throw a few back and be thankful that we have a team to root for (or jeer for) and that without them we'd be left with an emptiness inside much like the people of Idaho.  I mean seriously... who the hell do people from Idaho root for?

They root for snow so they can go to Sun Valley.  

giphy.gif

Will Matcus fight Jack?

If he does, and if Jack destroys him, it will be the stuff of legend and time to give Jack the C.

Nice LTS. Thx Shadow.

Minn has taken 9 of last 12 available points.  But hopefully they are checked-out on the road against a crappy team day the before T-day.  Then Friday we get Edmonton who's a huge mess and in the middle of a nasty road trip themselves.  Time to turn it around!

Oh My Goodness

Has this site been taken over by WEENIES

Sabres suck.......... Waaah Waaah Waaah

Defense sucks.......Waaah Waaah Waaah

Eichel doesn't hustle..... Waaah Waaah Waaah

I hate Kane.........   Waaah Waaah Waaah

HCPH doesn't know how to coach........ Waaah Waaah Waaah

The Tank didn't work...... Waaah Waaah Waaah

I don't want to watch the game because the team is losing....... Waaah Waaah Waaah

In the words of Vince Lombardi..... What The Hell is going on around here

Has this site turned into bandwagoners where we only cheer our team when we're winning??? 

ARE WE NOT MEN

ARE WE NOT DEVO

post-4541-0-87730700-1511366151_thumb.jpg

LETS GO BUFFALO

Oh My Goodness

Has this site been taken over by WEENIES

Sabres suck.......... Waaah Waaah Waaah

Defense sucks.......Waaah Waaah Waaah

Eichel doesn't hustle..... Waaah Waaah Waaah

I hate Kane.........   Waaah Waaah Waaah

HCPH doesn't know how to coach........ Waaah Waaah Waaah

The Tank didn't work...... Waaah Waaah Waaah

I don't want to watch the game because the team is losing....... Waaah Waaah Waaah

In the words of Vince Lombardi..... What The Hell is going on around here

Has this site turned into bandwagoners where we only cheer our team when we're winning??? 

ARE WE NOT MEN

ARE WE NOT DEVO

attachicon.gifDEVO.jpg

LETS GO BUFFALO

E  V  O

I just want games to be fun to watch again  :(

I actually have been enjoying the last few games, if not the results.

Strong GDT so far. Nice job. [drink!]

Looking forward to this one. Not really sure why. I feel an awakening coming.

I have no inkling along those lines.  I kind of don't think it will be so much an awakening as it will be a gradual climb toward consistent play.

But I want to see that just as much as a sudden change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.